Current Pending Sector = 1

Hi,

In the Mymenu SMART tab my parity drive; a Western Digital 1.0 TB EARS shows a current pending count of 1 which never goes away.   I have done a parity check I have even re-cleared this disk and it is still there.   How do we get these sectors to re-allocate and clear the error?

Kryspy

Untitled.png.0ec6540ca5e7b053376f184e4b2282db.png

It may not be in an area you can write to.  It could be in its internal pool of spare sectors.

You said you cleared the disk a second time and that process should have re-allocated the sector... but it did not.  A parity "check" would not do anything, since it is simply reading the disk and if it was a sector we could write to to fix it would take a "write" to the sector to get it re-allocated.

Whay you can do, thanks to the wonderful implementation of myMain is click on the line on the display that says "current pending=1"

It will open up a new browser window with a set of fields for that drive.  It will fill in on the bottom of that form a current_pending_ok with a value of 1.

If you then click on "Save" for that disk it will not show that item unless the value changes on a subsequent display of the myMain screen.  You can do that for any of the values it is showing to "hide" them from view unless they change. 

One of the "refresh" icons on the top of that page will refresh showing the hidden items.  The other will refresh hiding them as defined.  It allows you to clean up the display and still be alerted if a drive begins acting up with more errors.

Joe L.

Try a parity check. As long as the reallocated sectors is not increasing and pending stays at 1 you don't need to worry about it. It will go away when you write to that sector.

a parity check will not do anything unless the disk returns an error to the OS when you attempt to read the sector marked as un-readable.

What you can do is

1. Stop the array

2. Un-assign parity

3. Start the array with parity un-assigned

4. Stop the array once more

5. Re-Assign the parity drive

6. Start the array once more. 

This will force a full calculation of parity.  It will write to every parity sector.  For 99.9999999% it will write exactly what is already there.  For the one un-readable sector, it will write what should be there but could not be read.  That should force a re-allocation or re-write if the un-readable sector.

If a different disk should fail during the procedure of rebuilding parity onto itself you can regroup easily since you really do have a full set of parity data (all but one sector... maybe), you just need to take an extra manual step to force it to be trusted.

Joe L.

Whay you can do, thanks to the wonderful implementation of myMain is click on the line on the display that says "current pending=1"

It will open up a new browser window with a set of fields for that drive.  It will fill in on the bottom of that form a current_pending_ok with a value of 1.

If you then click on "Save" for that disk it will not show that item unless the value changes on a subsequent display of the myMain screen.   You can do that for any of the values it is showing to "hide" them from view unless they change.  

One of the "refresh" icons on the top of that page will refresh showing the hidden items.  The other will refresh hiding them as defined.  It allows you to clean up the display and still be alerted if a drive begins acting up with more errors.

Joe L.

Yes - this feature allows you to keep your smart view "clean" so that new problems immediately become apparent.  (The "RAW" refresh will always allow you to see everything).

I noticed from the screen shot that the OP is getting some of the load_cycle_count (LCC) warnings.  This is a new feature.  My purpose was to make users aware of the LCC growing before they get to some high value.  There are ways to slow them down, and it is up to each user to decide whether to employ them.

Disk1 at > 167,000 LCCs is worth investigating IMO.  I have several of the 1T EADS and the LCCs are in the hundeds (not hundred thousands  :o ), and mine have more power on hours.

The myMain feature Joe describes will "hide" a value from the the smart view if the actual value is equal or less than the "override" value.  When you click on the item you want to override, it will automatically assign the "..._ok" (override) value to the current smart value.  For example, if you click on "reallocated_sector_ct=3", myMain will set "reallocated_sector_ct_ok" equal to "3" (you just have to hit SAVE on the drive settings page).  

This works well with reallocated sectors, which should not normally be increasing and you'd like to know if they go up by even one more.  But for something like LCC, it is pretty useless because LCCs will continue to increase in normal use, and the very next LCC will result in seeing the message again.  So if you override the LCC you should increase the value to the level you'd like to be reminded.  So, for example, if the LCC is 38534 , you might want to set the value to 50000 or 100000.  If you've convinced yourself that LCCs are not worth being reminded about, you could set the value to a very large number and never see it again.

For something like pending sectors, that can go up and down, I'd be careful about setting an override value.  If you get one stuck with a few pending sectors, go ahead and use it.  But otherwise do what you can to clear them.  What you don't want to do is, for example, accept 2 pending sectors, then have those pending sectors get reallocated (putting pending sectors back at 0), and then get another pending sector and not see it.

For something like pending sectors, that can go up and down, I'd be careful about setting an override value.  If you get one stuck with a few pending sectors, go ahead and use it.  But otherwise do what you can to clear them.  What you don't want to do is, for example, accept 2 pending sectors, then have those pending sectors get reallocated (putting pending sectors back at 0), and then get another pending sector and not see it.

Perhaps when hiding a value it can be designated as hidden only if exactly the value being hidden.  (leading "=" sign perhaps)

That might handle hiding a current-pending=1 that refuses to go away because we never write to that sector.  It would still alert you if the value changed to a lower count.

bjp999,

I have had this drive a little while.   What would be causing the huge amount of LLC?   I hope something like Transmission isn't doing it.     Anyways it may be time to get this drive RMA through Western Digital.

Kryspy

edit: The unassign/reassign method yielded no change.

The pending sector count of 1 will not hide for that drive.  Makes me think it isn't actually there.  Anyway to reset the MyMenu and have it reload?   

Kryspy

It is reading it from a "smartctl" smart report on the drive every time you display the page.... so basically, no.  As I said earlier it is probably a sector you cannot write. (one in its spare pool perhaps)

To hide it, click on the pending-sector.  It will bring up a pop-up screen for that disk.  Click on "Save" for that disk.  Then go back to the myMain screen, it (that line) should be hidden.

Joe L.

Joe. L

That's what I am saying.   I did that and it is not hidden.

Kryspy

Have you checked if you have the most recent version of myMain?  bjp999 did make some fixes after his first release of this new myMain. The most recent was on Dec 15th.

If so, bjp999 will be interested in your issue.

Joe L.

Okay,

So, I ran a smartctl and it doesn't register a current pending sector at all.  I rebuilt unRAID from the ground up; reformatted the flash drive and everything.  Re-installed all the plugins etc. and the error is still there and still unable to hide using MyMain.

Any thoughts?

Kryspy

Okay,

So, I ran a smartctl and it doesn't register a current pending sector at all.   I rebuilt unRAID from the ground up; reformatted the flash drive and everything.  Re-installed all the plugins etc. and the error is still there and still unable to hide using MyMain.

Any thoughts?

Kryspy

That is very interesting indeed.  bjp999 will be interested for sure.  I'm sure he will request some additional output from your server.

For a start, can you post the "smartctl" report output.

Here is the output from smartctl -d ata -a /dev/sda.  The pending sector is now showing.   Wish I had saved the one I ran this morning before I did the re-install.

smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)

Copyright © 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model:     WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1

Serial Number:    WD-WMAV51029159

Firmware Version: 80.00A80

User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes

Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is:   8

ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated

Local Time is:    Sat Jan  1 20:45:02 2011 Local time zone must be set--see zic m

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:

Offline data collection status:  (0x84) Offline data collection activity

was suspended by an interrupting command from host.

Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.

Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed

without error or no self-test has ever

been run.

Total time to complete Offline

data collection: (20880) seconds.

Offline data collection

capabilities: (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.

Auto Offline data collection on/off support.

Suspend Offline collection upon new

command.

Offline surface scan supported.

Self-test supported.

Conveyance Self-test supported.

Selective Self-test supported.

SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering

power-saving mode.

Supports SMART auto save timer.

Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.

General Purpose Logging supported.

Short self-test routine

recommended polling time: (   2) minutes.

Extended self-test routine

recommended polling time: ( 240) minutes.

Conveyance self-test routine

recommended polling time: (   5) minutes.

SCT capabilities:       (0x3031) SCT Status supported.

SCT Feature Control supported.

SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0

3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   127   125   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       6616

4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       622

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0

7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   093   093   000    Old_age   Always       -       5749

10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       444

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       311

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   188   188   000    Old_age   Always       -       38657

194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   121   102   000    Old_age   Always       -       26

196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       1

198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1

No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error

# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      5432         -

# 2  Extended offline    Aborted by host               90%      5429         -

# 3  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      4690         -

# 4  Extended offline    Aborted by host               90%      4677         -

# 5  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      4037         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1

SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS

1        0        0  Not_testing

2        0        0  Not_testing

3        0        0  Not_testing

4        0        0  Not_testing

5        0        0  Not_testing

Selective self-test flags (0x0):

After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.

If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Kryspy