Docker service failed, disk issue?

I just had my docker service fail and I have no idea why. It looks disk related?

can someone please take a minute and help me interpret my log and diagnostics?

everything in the log goes red at 16:58:32 and it says:

Apr 22 16:58:32 Tower root: starting dockerd ...

so i think it tried to restart but i dont know why.

thank you so much for your time!

tower-diagnostics-20200423-1310.zip tower-syslog-20200423-1709.zip

Elsewhere you asked:

Can you please help me understand how to backup my Plex watched items, library, etc?

What I do, is run the Backup/Restore Appdata plugin, it looks at my appdata directory which stores the state for _all_ my docker containers. Every night it makes a backup to `/mnt/user/appdata_backup`
If anything goes wrong, I can just go back to a particular time day in appdate_backup ([email protected]), extract the tar.gz archive, copy over the files for the docker thats misbehaving to my appdata directory, and I have not lost any state in plex/whatever container had issues.

I normally keep maybe a month of backups around since I don't check in on my services very often to make sure they are working.

Edited by paperblankets
5 minutes ago, paperblankets said:

Elsewhere you asked:

What I do, is run the Backup/Restore Appdata plugin, it looks at my appdata directory which stores the state for _all_ my docker containers. Every night it makes a backup to `/mnt/user/appdata_backup`
If anything goes wrong, I can just go back to a particular time day in appdate_backup ([email protected]), extract the tar.gz archive, copy over the files for the docker thats misbehaving to my appdata directory, and I have not lost any state in plex/whatever container had issues.

I normally keep maybe a month of backups around since I don't check in on my services very often to make sure they are working.

nice! I will try that!

My docker image is working now. its weird, sometimes i lose my plex stuff and sometimes i dont, does that make sense?

9 minutes ago, Amorbellum said:

nice! I will try that!

My docker image is working now. its weird, sometimes i lose my plex stuff and sometimes i dont, does that make sense?

It does, I went through quite a few years where my updates were unstable and erratic. 

Unraid 6.7 had some issues with corruption that regularly broke sql databases:

It's supposed to be fixed..but at this point, my docker images live off my unraid array, so I never have the issue.

When I moved my docker images to a drive off of my array to `/mnt/disks/<ssdid>/appdata/`

All my database corruption issues stopped, I also saw a performance improvement when my containers were not fighting for io with the array (That could just be my specific setup though).

Since I'm backing up my containers every night to the array...I'm not really worried that they are not redundant.

Note, no one here seems to like that I do this/binhex does not recommend it :D

But it works, and has worked for quite a while now.

tldr; If you have an ssd to spare thats big enough for your docker images, maybe try unassigned devices, and run docker off that drive, and use the backups plugin to back up your containers.

Edited by paperblankets
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, paperblankets said:

It does, I went through quite a few years where my updates were unstable and erratic. 

Unraid 6.7 had some issues with corruption that regularly broke sql databases:

It's supposed to be fixed..but at this point, my docker images live off my unraid array, so I never have the issue.

When I moved my docker images to a drive off of my array to `/mnt/disks/<ssdid>/appdata/`

All my database corruption issues stopped, I also saw a performance improvement when my containers were not fighting for io with the array (That could just be my specific setup though).

Since I'm backing up my containers every night to the array...I'm not really worried that they are not redundant.

Note, no one here seems to like that I do this/binhex does not recommend it :D

But it works, and has worked for quite a while now.

tldr; If you have an ssd to spare thats big enough for your docker images, maybe try unassigned devices, and run docker off that drive, and use the backups plugin to back up your containers.

i wanted to do that at the beginning but i was told not to? seems brilliant though

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...