Passthrough Dual NIC to pfsense vm

HRX

Dear Experts out there,

I seek your advise if it is possible to setup unraid with a pfsense vm on the following hardware:

i3-4160

Asrock Rack E3C226D2I Dual NIC

16GB ECC Ram

There are many online tutorials online that is based on a Quad NIC setup and nothing on Dual NIC(Onboard). It would be great if someone and provide some guidance on setting up the Dual NIC passthrough and be able to access the unraid web interface after.

Thank you in advanced.

Edited by HRX

Hello,

Well firstly, if you passthrough both nics on that motherboard you wouldn't be able to access Unraid over the network. Your third nic is a IPMI management port and can't be used for Unraid network access.

Second, I would need to see what your IOMMU Groups look like to tell you if both Intel® i210 nics are able to be passed through. The nics would both need to be in their own separate IOMMU Groups.

Third, you could technically passthrough both nics and use a USB 3.0 to Gigabit ethernet adapter to give Unraid something to still access the network.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers!

Edited by Carbongrip

Thank you for your reply. Just seeking some clarification on point 3. Do you mean that if I were to use a use nic for unraid, I would have to connect it physically to a switch that is connected to the lan port of the pfsense?

Thank you. 

18 minutes ago, HRX said:

Thank you for your reply. Just seeking some clarification on point 3. Do you mean that if I were to use a use nic for unraid, I would have to connect it physically to a switch that is connected to the lan port of the pfsense?

Thank you. 

Yes, the USB lan port would need to connect to a switch connected to lan port of pfsense. It might help you to see it if you draw it out on paper.

Also ask around which USB NICs work in Unraid, some may use an incompatible controller.

Cheers!