New Unraid Plex/Emby server Ryzen 3900X

Rambo86

Hi,

Im changing from Freenas and not sure about the gear. 

Bought my brothers unused Ryzen 9 3900x for 300€. And also got ASRock X570M Pro4 motherboard for my Node 804.

Storage type 8 8tb wd red

Any suggestions for ram power supply and ssd:s?

I'm mainly going to use it as a Plexserver and personal storage.

Edited by Rambo86
Wrong expactation

I run a 3900x / X570 setup for my main gaming PC and a 3600 / B450 for unRAID.

PSU shouldn't hugely matter..

the 3900x stock + Motherboard should be < 200W (much less when idling)

8 HDD's (2A each at power up) would be ~200W (much less when idling)

Assuming SSD's and other items, you'd probably be OK with a 650W.. However, if it was me, I'd go for an 850 so a GPU +  Overclocking and more HDD's would't need a PSU upgrade.

I can say that my 3900x on a EVGA Bronze 650 does not overclock that well, it's not the wattage, I think it's the PSU's ability to handle sudden changes in power requirements, my Seasonic 850W Focus Platinum allows higher overclocks. I was fortunate to also pick up a cheap HX1200i corsair PSU (A mining rig spare someone was offloading) and that is obviously overkill, but also like the Seasonic I get the same high overclocks for my 3900X.

RAM, aside from ECC/non-ECC the only advice I would give is that Ryzen 3rd gen supports higher memory speeds and they can make a performance difference. I have 32GB Of DDR4 3600 C18 in my unRAID box (Corsair 3800 C18 as it is good VFM). I am not running ECC (have on previous servers) but it's a consideration as your motherboard does support un-buffered ECC.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Rambo86 said:

Or should I choose another board with a sata card?  Anyone? 

The CPU and Case are staying.

If you don't need GPU pass through then your choice of mobo is fine.

Don't need to go over the top and get ECC RAM either - ECC is never a system requirement for Unraid. If you have ECC sticks, good. If you don't, no worries.

You will need an SSD for your Plex db and docker container (and any other things you want to run once the server is set up). If you don't want to lose a SATA port then get it an NVMe M.2.

Whatever SSD you get, avoid DRAM-less SSD like the plague.

Don't forget to budget a cheap graphic card in case your mobo does not allow headless booting.

It's virtually impossible to predict if a mobo will allow headless booting or not without owning the actual board.

If you ever need SATA card, see post below for some suggestions.

Generally though LSI HBA (commonly found on ebay) are the preferred option. Make sure they are HBA and not RAID card!!!

• Thanks 1

Bought this card with help from a swedish forum. LSI

But I don't like what I'm reading about the motherboard and the lack of support from ASROCK. Haven't open it yet and thinking of returning it to buy The MSI Mortar 450 max instead.  Havent built a computer in 8 - 10 years, got help from the retailer with the current one, so know basically nothing about mobos or what to look for. 

Please help or any advice.