SMBus Kernel Patch

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Bolagnaise said:

Potentially someone really nice like @ich777could develop this into a kernal patch for us unraid users using ASUS motherboards.

Can somebody give me a bit more insight what this is? Is this really needed? Is this something for RGB, if yous, why would you have RGB in your server? :D

6 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can somebody give me a bit more insight what this is? Is this really needed? Is this something for RGB, if yous, why would you have RGB in your server? :D

What is this?

its basically a way to get rgb working for people.

Is this really needed?

no. not really.  extremely low priority at best. I guess people could connect it to a home assistant instance in docker and make their cabinet shiny and control it via usb plugged into the server.

Why would you have RGB in your server?

some people use rgb in their server, i guess they want it to be shiny?

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, ich777 said:

RGB control of devices on SM bus.

It’s not really a need, but certainly a nice to have.

My Unraid server serves many purposes including a daily driver VM with hardware pass through. It would be a nice to have ability to control those shiny RGB memory modules, but I don’t feel comfortable putting all the other functionality at risk by attempting to patch the kernel.

Thanks for looking and for your consideration.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

I will look into this but I make no promises that I'm able to make your Server shiny and blinking like a Christmas tree... :D

quite the opposite actually. By default RGB is very obnoxious out of the box. The idea here is to have control to make more subtle or static. Many thanks in advance.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ich777 said:

@Bolagnaise, @McTaurus13 & @WenzelComputing I've written a PM to you all with a test package and instructions.

I can test too if you're looking for more. I have an Asus motherboard and my Unraid server is also my Windows gaming PC. I can control a lot of RBG (like passed through GPU, CPU cooler, etc) through Windows but I'd like to make my ram RBG less obnoxious and I think this is the only way. 

15 minutes ago, Rastrillo said:

I can test too if you're looking for more. I have an Asus motherboard and my Unraid server is also my Windows gaming PC. I can control a lot of RBG (like passed through GPU, CPU cooler, etc) through Windows but I'd like to make my ram RBG less obnoxious and I think this is the only way. 

Added you to the conversation... :)

Is this ASUS specific or something an Asrock x570 Taichi Razer Edition would benefit from? I sure would like to turn down the rainbow and maybe turn it off or something static. Fingers crossed. Memory specifically. Used to be cooler too, but wraith prism cooler has been replaced. 

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, Inigma said:

Is this ASUS specific or something an Asrock x570 Taichi Razer Edition would benefit from? I sure would like to turn down the rainbow and maybe turn it off or something static. Fingers crossed. Memory specifically. Used to be cooler too, but wraith prism cooler has been replaced. 

I can add you to the conversation if you want to...

Thank you @ich777, I've been waiting for this. This was one of the things preventing me from using UnRAID on my workstation which normally looks like this: 

In my case this is not a server, but I want to use UnRAID to be able to run multiple OS-es, for example Windows and Linux alongside. Without this patch (that I hope will work in my case) and ability to ser RGB, I have rainbows all around, and I hate rainbows :)

Edited by DhanOS
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...