(SOLVED)Question about CA, docker, VM backup setting

jena

Hi,

I wish to use cache drive for cache, docker and vm.

Initially I didn't have cache drive enabled, so the vm and docker ended up on the array.

stopped them all,

make sure those share folders were set as cache drive "preferred" 

and clicked "move".

Question: 

1. BTW, can I delete "/mnt/disk1/system/docker" and "/mnt/disk1/system/libvirt" since they are already moved to cache drive?
  2. Did I set those share and CA backup plugin correctly?

Also installed backup plugin.

I created "/mnt/user/backup" folder and subfolders using mkdir in terminal.

My settings are like the following screenshot.

cache_setting.thumb.PNG.5d2303fa70794c2b37f2e3200b8dea85.PNG

ca_backup.thumb.PNG.af702ed48df97a5a2be34fc92189aa20.PNG

PS: I read these two FAQs and come up with the following setting.

Thanks!

Edited by jena
(SOLVED)
10 hours ago, itimpi said:

Are you sure that the files are moved to the cache drive?   If so they should no longer be present on disk1.   Mover cannot move open files so you need to have stopped the docker and VM services before invoking mover as they will be holding files open.

During that time, the parity disk is building.

(because those docker/vm files have been present on the disk1 since the very beginning when I first configured and started the array).

Before invoking mover, Docker and VM are off for sure and they stays off as for now. 

After mover, they are present on both cache and data drives.

cache_mover11.thumb.PNG.cf7d9d6753257d5c112e1e4125521bd3.PNG

cache_mover12.thumb.PNG.09f18a439ca2250bb89bd00c0e86bbb0.PNG

Mover Settings

MoverTuner.thumb.PNG.69b22ce7f0e81953d9c9a4abb1f33f5b.PNG

Hello,

Could some one reply my concern?

Currently, the latest files of dockers and VMs are indeed stored on Cache Drive. 

BUT "/mnt/disk1/system/docker" and "/mnt/disk1/system/libvirt" are still on disk1.

Previously,

• stopped dockers and VMs,
  • set share folders as cache drive "preferred" 
  • and clicked "move".

Before invoking mover, Docker and VM are off for sure and they stays off during the process. 

After invoking mover, they are present on both cache and data drives.

Question:

1. Can I delete "/mnt/disk1/system/docker" and "/mnt/disk1/system/libvirt" manually?
  2. If they are not deleted, will they overwrite the files on Cache Drive when mover is invoked? (share -> cache drive preferred, see previous screenshot). "Preferred" moves file from array to cache drive thus over write files on cache drive?

unraid_appdata.thumb.JPG.4db0fecd8987d1ac9dadc15c00378dbd.JPG

Edited by jena

Delete them from disk1.

Also, the link you gave for CA Backup above was for the deprecated version (as it says in the title). You should use CA Backup V2.

You can install CA Backup V2 from the Apps page. You should always go from the Apps page to install anything so you only get current and compatible addons.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Delete them from disk1.

Also, the link you gave for CA Backup above was for the deprecated version (as it says in the title). You should use CA Backup V2.

You can install CA Backup V2 from the Apps page. You should always go from the Apps page to install anything so you only get current and compatible addons.

Thanks for the reply.

I am new to unraid, 10 days into trail version now. 

I did install CA backup v2 from App Store.

The version is:

ca_backup.thumb.JPG.84d7d46e1f2ead6bb6f9ff3a4dfb42c3.JPG

14 minutes ago, jena said:

Previously,

• stopped dockers and VMs,
  • set share folders as cache drive "preferred" 
  • and clicked "move".

Before invoking mover, Docker and VM are off for sure and they stays off during the process. 

Sounds like you didn't disable the services, if the VMS and Docker tabs are still there on the GUI, the files in question are still in use, regardless of whether any containers or VM's are running.

3 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Sounds like you didn't disable the services, if the VMS and Docker tabs are still there on the GUI, the files in question are still in use, regardless of whether any containers or VM's are running.

I've seen these leftover system share folders/files on the array even when the user is supposedly following my step-by-step instructions which included disabling the services. It looked to me at least in some cases that they were not moved precisely because they were duplicates, since the user would have system share on both cache and array before we started to make any corrections.

Don't know how they came to be created as duplicates though. No doubt they were created on the array since cache wasn't installed at the time the services were first enabled, but I don't know how they came to have new ones created on cache later.

And I have seen it where just the folder is all that still exists on the array, and there are no files in it. Or it may be that it is usually the case that only the folder still exists. We have always just finished the cleanup manually.

20 hours ago, trurl said:

I've seen these leftover system share folders/files on the array even when the user is supposedly following my step-by-step instructions which included disabling the services. It looked to me at least in some cases that they were not moved precisely because they were duplicates, since the user would have system share on both cache and array before we started to make any corrections.

Don't know how they came to be created as duplicates though. No doubt they were created on the array since cache wasn't installed at the time the services were first enabled, but I don't know how they came to have new ones created on cache later.

And I have seen it where just the folder is all that still exists on the array, and there are no files in it. Or it may be that it is usually the case that only the folder still exists. We have always just finished the cleanup manually.

I do believe that I had docker and vm turned off in settings (so no docker and VM on menu bar) .

Because I was just setting up and hadn't enable anything yet.

I didn't install the SSD at the very beginning because I am moving data off my SSD.

NOW: 

I have backuped my dockers and VMs using CA backup V2 just now. So I am safe to experiment. 

I turn off docker and vm in settings.

Check again, the files on Array Disk are [correction  5/5/2020 12pm] still there.

Use stat command to change their dates and they are not modified since 4/29. SO it is safe to say the active docker and vms are on SSD cache.

At that time: 

It could be that the mover issued "delete" to Array Disk and somehow had significant delays in my cases. 

Maybe the delay is caused by parity build?

Then a few hours later, while those file is still on Array Disk, I finally started to use Dockers. So they stuck here.

Edited by jena
  • jena changed the title to (SOLVED)Question about CA, docker, VM backup setting