MyFirstUnraid

Hi, 

I'm building my first Unraid NAS.

At the moment I have a server with Proxmox, with 2 VMs Ubuntu and 1 VM Windows plus a WDMyCloud 3TB (70% used).

A friend of mine told me about Unraid and after some research, I believe that if I change from Proxmox to Unraid I will need only 1 VM with Ubuntu and I can reuse the WDMyCloud disk to the Unraid.

So, this is my current specs:

Motherboard Micro-ATX Biostar A320MH

Processador AMD Ryzen 3 3200G

RAM Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16GB

Case Mini-ITX Kolink Satellite

SSD 240GB

HDD 2,5" 320GB

I have ordered:

2 x Seagate IronWolf 3TB

What I'm thinking to apply on Unraid: 

Parity:

- Seagate IronWolf 3TB

Disks:

- Seagate IronWolf 3TB

- WD Red 3TB (reused from wdmycloud)

Cache:

- SSD 240GB

I'm gonna use it to:

Backup:

- 1 Desktop Windows
 - 2 Laptops Windows

Docker:
 - Plex Media Server

- Nginx

- NextCloud

- qBitTorrent

VM:

- Ubuntu Server
    - Home Assistant

Any suggestion?

Edited by Denkyem

Your SSD + 3x 3TB HDD will all need to be formatted before they be used with Unraid.

Don't shuck the WD Red first. Connect it to the system via USB to get the data out. You will almost certainly need to mount the WD as unassigned device to copy data over to 1 of the 2 Seagate so you can format the WD afterwards. As long as you don't use any super exotic file system, you should be fine.

Reason to start with USB is that may need to mask the 3.3V pin (look on Youtube bytemybit channel for instruction), otherwise, the WD won't show up if shucked and connected through SATA. While the process is simple, the less you have at the back of your head during migration, the less stressful it would be.

Make sure to preclear the 2x Seagate before using them. Once data migrated out of the WD Red, preclear it as well before adding to the array.

Preclear is a useful tool to test drives to identify issues early (e.g. so you can RMA any failed drive before having actual data on it).

These 4 plugins are basically the starter pack:

• Community Apps (it's basically the Unraid app store - use it to install everything including the other plugins below)
  • Preclear (so you can preclear drives - see point above about testing drive before using / adding to array)
  • Unassigned Device
  • Unassigned Device Plus

Any PCIe pass through? Based on your config I'm guessing not so you should be fine.

Thank you so much for your inputs.

Regarding the files on WDMyCloud, I will start the Unraid with the SDD and the 2 Seagates and share a samba folder.

Then copy all my files on wdmycloud to the unraid samba folder and then I will add the WD Red to the unraid.

This process makes any sense? 😁

The Community Apps, I already read about it. The others plugins, I didn't know yet but I will check them.

No, I dont have any PCIe passthrough.