6.8.3 PREROUTING chain no longer modifyable

raun

I finally upgraded from 6.7.2 to 6.8.3

I run openvpn-as and openvpn client.  My default route is through the openvpn client (interface tun5).  I accept openvpn-as connections through interface br0.

I solved the somewhat common problem with this configuration that openvpn-as attempts replies to client connection requests over tun5 instead of the interface used to start the connection request (br0) using a PREROUTING rule:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -s 172.17.0.7 -p tcp --sport 9443 -j MARK --set-mark 4321
ip route add default via 192.168.2.1 dev br0 table 3412
ip rule add fwmark 4321 table 3412

I'm far from a networking expert, but this allowed me to run a service in a docker using NAT on the docker and ensure the service replied using the same interface/gateway as the incoming request.  This allowed openvpn-as to accept connections over my ISP's public IP, but route all external traffic through the VPN (tun5).

After my upgrade to 6.8.3 any modifications to the PREROUTING table don't stick.  The table always contains only a single rule

Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         
DOCKER     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            ADDRTYPE match dst-type LOCAL

Is there a solution to get my old behaviour back in 6.8.3?

• 1 month later...

I'm an idiot.  There's nothing wrong.

My script adds a prerouting mangle rule.  I wasn't displaying the mangle table when looking at iptables rules.

iptables -L -n -t mangle

My real problem was that my docker container's IP changed - not sure if that was caused the 6.8.3 upgrade, or if it was me messing something up.