optimal setup ? cache ?

Hello,

I 'm trying to figure out if Unraid is the right system for me ... I would need a combination of speed and protection .. this is what Ihave need :

- Some docker and VMs  that need speed -> running on cache (only)

- Plex Library ->running on cache (only)

- Download and data transfer -> Share running on Cache (Yes with mover set to 1 hour)

My questions are the following, how can I assure that there always enough sufficient space on the cache for the Docker and VMs to run ?

This is my nightmare scenario :

- All is running with 20gb of minimum min free space and total free space of 200gb on the cache.

- I'm triggering a file transfer of 400gb to the share. the transfer is filling up the cache to limit of utilization

- When the cache is full (20gb of free space), the transfer is going directly to the share

My problem is in the mean time the mover is running, my plex library is crashing because the cache is full.

So my questions,

- is there a way to allow the plex library to go over the min free space ?

- do I need to put my Library on a separate unassigned disk ?

- I need to have the plex library on a SSD for performance purpose -> this was the reason why I put it on the cache

Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, chocorem said:

I'm triggering a file transfer of 400gb to the share. the transfer is filling up the cache to limit of utilization

- When the cache is full (20gb of free space), the transfer is going directly to the share

Are you saying you are transferring a single 400GB file?   If so this will start writing to the cache and then error out when it runs out of space as Unraid never switches drives once one has been selected as the destination for the file (Unraid does not know the size of a file at the point where it makes a drive selection).

59 minutes ago, chocorem said:

No the single files are under 20gb, so all is working good for the transfer process and the systems switches to the array, but the cache is Full and Plex is crashing because Cache is "Only"

It is not clear to me why Plex is crashing unless there is something I am missing.   If you have 20GB as the Minimum Free Space for the cache why is it “Full” as once that limit is reached files should start going directly to the array (assuming you have not explicitly sent them to the cache thus by-passing the User Share sub-System).  Is Plex still building its library so is using an increasing amount of cache space?