Begin with 1 cache SSD, then add another ?

Hi !

I just built my new Unraid server, firts time doing it !

I'm happy to see it running but I have A LOT of questions ^^

First one :

I have currently 1 500BG SSD drive to act as a cache drive. I have another 500GB that I'll use to create a cache pool, but I can't use it at the moment.

If I configure my Unraid / Docker install (moving Docker appdata to cache drive) and then I add the second SSD to create a pool in few days > will the data on it be erased (reformatting or something) ?

1 hour ago, guilhem31 said:

Hi !

I just built my new Unraid server, firts time doing it !

I'm happy to see it running but I have A LOT of questions ^^

First one :

I have currently 1 500BG SSD drive to act as a cache drive. I have another 500GB that I'll use to create a cache pool, but I can't use it at the moment.

If I configure my Unraid / Docker install (moving Docker appdata to cache drive) and then I add the second SSD to create a pool in few days > will the data on it be erased (reformatting or something) ?

It depends on the file system.

If it's btrfs then adding drive to the pool will automatically run RAID-1 profile so no erasing.

If it's xfs then the pool will need to be formatted to btrfs i.e. data will need to be erased.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, testdasi said:

It depends on the file system.

If it's btrfs then adding drive to the pool will automatically run RAID-1 profile so no erasing.

If it's xfs then the pool will need to be formatted to btrfs i.e. data will need to be erased.

Thanks for this advice ;)

The drives are allready in btrfs so there won't be a problem !