[SOLVED] Sudden Cache Drive RO Issue

Hi Guys,

For some reason, this morning my unraid server was having issues with my cache drive.
The kind of problems you can see in the screenshot attached. Nothing particular happened yesterday.

I've got a bad feeling about my cache drive... This server runs for almost a year and a half without problems but maybe my cache drive just had enough of the writes...

2098143117_Screenshot2020-05-02at14_31_01.thumb.jpg.5ba3e218b79263b92889eabcdbb0d479.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thank you.

tower-diagnostics-20200502-1443.zip

Edited by cam217
7 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Cache filesystem is corrupt, best way forward is to backup and re-format, there are some recovery options here if needed.

Great, thank you for your quick answer johnnie.black. I'll look into the recovery option today.
Any idea how this happened so I'll do my best to not have this corrupt cache drive again?

EDIT: Is BTRFS still the prefered file system for the cache drive?

Edited by cam217
Just now, johnnie.black said:

Difficult to say, the diags are very recently after a reboot, it appears to have started with the docker image, any unclean shutdowns?

I honestly have no idea. Maybe during the night.
I tried to reboot this morning to check if that would help (Basic people tries basic stuff... :P).

BTRFS restore is running now. It is saying:

We seem to be looping a lot on /mnt/disk2/temp/cacheRestore/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases/com.plexapp.plugins.library.db, do you want to keep going on ? (y/N/a):

I first answered yes but it eventually happens again and again so I ended up answering no. What is this about?

6 minutes ago, cam217 said:

I first answered yes but it eventually happens again and again so I ended up answering no. What is this about?

I would guess OTOH it's because plex makes extensive use of symlinks, so it has hundreds (thousands) of files within it's appdata that all point to the same file.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You should answer "a" for always, it's not that uncommon to get that.

I was wondering what the 'a' meant so I avoided using it xD.

EDIT: I used archlinux for quite some time some 5+ years ago but these days I don't use linux anymore so some stuff may totally be new to me.

Edited by cam217
Just now, cam217 said:

When the copy is finished, should I repair the cache drive or should I format it?

You can try repairing but even if successful it's more likely to go corrupt again so recommend formatting.

1 minute ago, cam217 said:

Which filesystem should use in the case of formatting? Still go with BTRFS or an other one for some reason?

It's up to you, if you don't need/use the btrfs extra features and don't plan on having a pool you might as well use xfs, since it's more reliable.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

You can try repairing but even if successful it's more likely to go corrupt again so recommend formatting.

It's up to you, if you don't need/use the btrfs extra features and don't plan on having a pool you might as well use xfs, since it's more reliable.

Since my motherboard doesn't offer anymore M.2 ports I'll stick with one cache drive. So I guess I'll format it with xfs.
Thanks

Cache drive now formatted to xfs and files are back on it!

To be honest, I didn't expected the restoring process to work that good. The important thing was, NOT doing plenty of stuff without asking recommendations to people who knows better! Then just follow provided steps.

THANK YOU johnnie.black! You helped so much ;-)

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Sudden Cache Drive RO Issue