High disk usage freezes unRAID

When I transfer files to/from the array or use something like bittorrent to download files to the array (or really the cache SSD), between 3 and 5 of my threads will peg out at 100% usage in the unRAID dashboard.  Checking top and htop shows that nothing is using that much CPU, however if I look at iotop or Netdata, I am showing very high IOWAIT times.  It's like something is bogging down file transfers and it's crashing the entire system.  After this goes on for a few seconds, all docker containers become unresponsive, VMs, and even unRAID dashboard.  Attached is a picture with all containers and everything shut down except qbittorrent and 1 single torrent.  CPU usage hasn't been nearly this high for such a task in the past.

I had a similar problem in the last major version of unRAID, but upgrading seemed to have fixed it.  It only now randomly re-appeared.

Specs:

2x Xeon CPU

64gb memory

2x SSD cache drives in JBOD

9x HDD in array

downloads set to save to cache first then get moved at a later date to array

Capture.JPG

10 minutes ago, thrroow said:

I am showing very high IOWAIT times

High IO wait times are usually the result of poor cabling or seating.

On the Main page you can click on the "disk-icon" for each device and it will show disk related events. Check for any errors.

Edited by bonienl

I don't use a cache pool.

When the parity check starts  my Windows VM (on my array) practically freezes.

I guess this is normal?

Fix is to pause the parity check until I am finished with my VM.

I guess another solution is to use cache or to put your VM "unprotected" on an unassigned device?

8 hours ago, Alexander said:

When the parity check starts  my Windows VM (on my array) practically freezes.

I guess this is normal?

It's expect, you should have any vdisk outside the array for best performance, you can have it on a cache pool so it still remains protected.