LSI 8 port or 16?

Sure you can. It just depends on things like:

• How many x8 (or x16) PCIE slots do you have
  • How many PCIE lanes have you got available and how do you intend use them

I have one of these 16 port adapters (not LSI) and it works with zero issues: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASR-71605-Adaptec-2274400-R-16-Port-SAS-SATA-6Gbps-1GB-PCI-E-RAID-Controller/182739023209?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And, one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-in-Sealed-LSI-SAS-9207-8i-6Gb-s-PCI-E-3-0-Adapter-LSI00301-US-SameDayShip/122171565228?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Both are PCIE 3.0 x8 but using the 16 port adapter I have more PCIE lanes left for other things, such as a pass-through video card.

If you have the funds and a suitable adapter is available, I'd go for a 16 port adapter - you never know how many drives you're going to end up installing.

Edited by TheMantis

The black brick thing is a RAM battery backup (well actually it's some capacitors) for when the adapter is used as a hardware RAID card. It just plugs in and is not needed with how the adapter is used in unRAID. There aren't a great deal of 16 port adapters out there and, yes, the LSI ones are very expensive.

Edited by TheMantis
10 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I have a 16 port LSI but is more than twice the price of an equivalent 8 port one.    In my case I needed 16 ports and being able to do this using only a single PCIe slot the motherboard was worth the extra expense.

Yes you can buy 2 8 port ones for less but it takes up your slots.

9 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

The black brick thing is a RAM battery backup (well actually it's some capacitors) for when the adapter is used as a hardware RAID card. It just plugs in and is not needed with how the adapter is used in unRAID. There aren't a great deal of 16 port adapters out there and, yes, the LSI ones are very expensive.

The one you posted is a good price.

12 minutes ago, meep said:

Or you can add something like an Intel RES2SV240 SAS Expander.

This connects to your HBA and provides lots more ports. Despite appearances, it does not need a PCIe slot. It can use a slot for power, but theres a molex connector as well, so it cam be mounted anywhere inside your case.

You can pick these up used on eBay quite cheaply, even cheaper if you want to source from China.

That is a lot of ports but still $49 vs $249 or $99, i just want something stable and not to costly.

Edited by david97