Is this board needed?

I think it would be.

What I can see as being a nice touch on this section is a Sticky post for "Drive Warnings and Precautions". This should be a closed topic with links to other threads (possibly sticky as well?). The first item should be a link to the Samsung F4 Firmware warning thread. The second item should be a link to a Seagate Firmware forced update thread. The third item should be a link to a WD Advanced Format Jumper installation thread. Perhaps a forth item should be a link to a discussion on Preclear / Steps to Exercise Your Drive Before Installation to be done before you trust it with your valuable data. Of course this Drive Warnings and Precautions will have its content updated as needed.

Hopefully this will allow for a higher profile and make things easier for important topics to be found by the newer users. Hopefully this will also cut down on the mass number of new threads all relating to the same drive issue(s).

I think it would be.

What I can see as being a nice touch on this section is a Sticky post for "Drive Warnings and Precautions". This should be a closed topic with links to other threads (possibly sticky as well?). The first item should be a link to the Samsung F4 Firmware warning thread. The second item should be a link to a Seagate Firmware forced update thread. The third item should be a link to a WD Advanced Format Jumper installation thread. Perhaps a forth item should be a link to a discussion on Preclear / Steps to Exercise Your Drive Before Installation to be done before you trust it with your valuable data. Of course this Drive Warnings and Precautions will have its content updated as needed.

Hopefully this will allow for a higher profile and make things easier for important topics to be found by the newer users. Hopefully this will also cut down on the mass number of new threads all relating to the same drive issue(s).

I was going to say it's not needed but I like your idea Brit

Perhaps a forth item ....

Would that be stack-based. with reverse-polish arithmetic?

However, to return to topic:

If this board is going to be used, what is the sense in having 'Advanced Format Drives' as a child of the General Support board?

." Good point"  General Advanced-Format-Drives child-delete

." That subforum has been deleted, please post AFD issues here."

I think you should add motherboards to this area.

have:

Chasis / cages / cases / power supply

hard drives / controllers / main board / memory

Other hardware

I don't think motherboard should have it's own, at least in my opinion.

This was discussed in the moderators' forum.

There are a lot of motherboards, and the turnover is fairly rapid.  Most users, once they purchase their server, will not be interested in continuing to monitor all of the motherboard related threads.  However, most users are interested in developments in hard disk controllers (which are far fewer in number and have a much longer lifespan), as well as in hard drives.  This was the rationale for keeping motherboards in its own area, and hard disks/controllers in a separate area.

This was the rationale for keeping motherboards in its own area, and hard disks/controllers in a separate area.

Yes, please do not throw anything else into the Hard Drives and Controllers section.

I like the way things are currently separated. It keeps the high volume sections well contained while keeping the important information readily visible.