SQL Server 2019 Docker Cannot Run on Cache Drives

Hey guys,

I am running Unraid 6.8.1 on a Xeon E3 1231v3 with 16GB of RAM. I was trying to run MSSQL (SQL Server 2019) docker but got an error:

2020-05-04 20:04:21.89 spid9s      Starting up database 'master'.
2020-05-04 20:04:22.32 Server      Common language runtime (CLR) functionality initialized.
2020-05-04 20:04:23.22 spid9s      Error: 17053, Severity: 16, State: 1.
2020-05-04 20:04:23.22 spid9s      FCB::ZeroFile(), GetOverLappedResult(): Operating system error 87(The parameter is incorrect.) encountered.
2020-05-04 20:04:23.23 spid9s      Cannot recover the master database. SQL Server is unable to run. Restore master from a full backup, repair it, or rebuild.

After searching around and a few tries on another unraid server (also running 6.8.1) without cache drives setup, I found that the error only occurs when I use volume mappings on a cache drive. If I map volumes to a non-cache drive everything is fine. However, other docker containers are running just fine on cache drives. So i had to setup another data share just for this SQL Server docker.

Does anyone know why this is happening?  I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/4/2020 at 7:25 PM, tjb_altf4 said:

Haven't played with 2019, but previous versions required extra parameters to be added to work:

-m 8g --ulimit stack=8192000:8192000

Adjust memory use to your setup

i know this thread is a few months old, but im having a similar issue and am looking for some help.

I can install and use MSSQL when adding the ulimit stack, but cannot when trying to map a volume.  I've tried what was mentioned earlier in the thread with no luck.  starts, then stops.  I found in another thread (github maybe) that they used docker-compoes with a .yml file.  but that puts me back to the ulimit issue as i dont know how to reference that in the .yml file.

any help with this would be great!!

BD