Errors Found

I have checked fix common problems, and have a message "Share Media set to not use the cache, but files / folders exist on the cache drive" i do not have Media set to use cache but do have downloads using the cache before they get moved to the array, is it safe to ignore this message?

thanks again

On 5/5/2020 at 11:18 AM, Zedd said:

i do not have Media set to use cache but do have downloads using the cache before they get moved to the array

7 minutes ago, Zedd said:

everything else no

Mover ignores cache-no shares. That is why you get the warning, because those will never be moved. You must set it to cache-yes to get them moved to the array. You can run mover on Array Operation page and after moving you can change it to cache-no if that is what you want.

I followed the advice from fix common problems & did find a folder "movies" with a movie in it in my cache, it was outside of the download folder, no idea how it got there, hopefully that has fixed it.

thanks for the replies and help

Hi Again, I have received error message again about media in cache, I checked with Krusader & a movie folder has been created with a single movie in it although I had downloads going overnight downloading multiple movies, any ideas anyone?

thanks for the advice

Container path /Media is /mnt/user/Media/Movies/ I think that is correct, it seems odd that only one of a number of movies have done that, I have also just realised that the movie in the cache is a duplicate of the exact movie which has also downloaded to my media share. i tried to copy it to movies rather than deleting & it was reported as already existing by Krusader.

7 minutes ago, Zedd said:

i tried to copy it to movies rather than deleting & it was reported as already existing by Krusader.

It already existed in the user share because cache is part of the user share.

If the Media user share is cache-no, then writing to that user share will not write to cache. So something is configured somewhere to write to cache instead of to the user share.

To answer a question left unanswered earlier since maybe it will help you figure this out:

20 hours ago, Zedd said:

does mover do the moving for Sonarr & Radarr? I thought they moved files working with Sab.

Mover doesn't know anything at all about any of your applications. It just runs according to its schedule, and moves cache-yes shares from cache to array, and moves cache-prefer shares from array to cache. Mover ignores cache-no and cache-only user shares, and it doesn't make copies.

I think the problem that a file has been created on a share which uses the cache disk, so the file is created on the cache disk.

The file is then moved to the Media share, and rather surprisingly you find it is still on the cache disk in the Media share, even though the Media share is set to cache NO.  This is actually expected behaviour and the reason is rather subtle.

The caches setting on a share only affects the creation of new files and not files which already exist on a disk.   Now as the file already exists on the cache disk and the cache disk is included in the Media share the cache setting does not apply so the file is moved into a directory in the Media share on the cache disk.

There are 2 possible solutions:

- Change the Media share to cache YES so the mover will move file to the data disks when it runs.

- Move files to /mnt/user0/Media rather than /mnt/user/Media as that does not include the cache disk so the move is forced to do a copy & delete farther than just a rename.

• Like 1

Have had another look at my shares only the complete & incomplete folders in download share are set to use cache, media/movies in my media share only uses data drives, if it was a incorrect setting in my docker settings would every movie downloaded not end up in my cache.

4 minutes ago, remotevisitor said:

I think the problem that a file has been created on a share which uses the cache disk, so the file is created on the cache disk.

The file is then moved to the Media share, and rather surprisingly you find it is still on the cache disk in the Media share, even though the Media share is set to cache NO.

I should have thought of this, since I have posted about just this "surprise" a number of times. Such as #2 here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/61985-file-browser-in-webui/?do=findComment&comment=723474

The file is getting "repathed" to the same disk it is already on. 

ok thanks again for the reply, I don't fully understand what is happening, I will look at the couple of fixes and keep an eye on things, from what I understand having the media share set to cache yes isn't a good idea for a share that is 95% read with very little write, is that correct? if I use the mount user0 option do I need to create a second user?

The issue is rather subtle so I’m not surprised if you find it difficult to grasp what is exactly going on.

I have the cache setting on the shares on my system which hold all my TV and films set YES even though 99% of the time I am reading from them, so unless you have a specific reason on why you must set it to NO then this is the easiest solution.

For the other solution, no you do not need to create a second user.    What you will find when your array has been started is that your shares appear under the directories /mnt/user and /mnt/user0.    The difference is the /mnt/user ones include files that are on your cache + data drives, while the /mnt/user0 ones just include the files that are on your data disks.  

The /mnt/user0 directory is really a hangover from the old way that mover used to be implemented to copy files from the cache disk to the array.   It has since been replaced with a dedicated mover program which understands how to move the files to/from the cache disk without using it.   Tom has dropped hints that he would like to get ride of /mnt/user0, but some people have indicated they do have uses for it; so it may or may not disappear in a future release.

Edited by remotevisitor
  • Like 1

ok thanks, I will set the cache setting to yes if that is the easiest fix, thinking back i have only had this issue since i moved my plex data folder to an unassigned ssd, but don't know how this would affect the cache, i only built my box this year after moving from whs 2011, so its all new, i decided instead of converting all of my movies to a plex friendly format, from a mce/ my movies format i would just download everything. so i have been constantly downloading for about six weeks, so far i have had the cache error message twice both times since i moved the plex data to ssd.

i have to say again after not knowing which way to go and lots of googling it was Ed's YouTube tutorials that swung my final decision, so i have basically followed  his guides on setting up everything i have accomplished so far, i am still making mistakes but have not enjoyed tinkering & learning so much after a good few years of not really bothering just used what i had.