New Install - Growing Server

Hello all,

Currently I have a server that has a Xeon Silver 4210, Quadro P2200 and a single 1TB hard drive. I will be getting 4 970 EVO Plus M.2 drives that will be Raid 0 for a Cache drive and then over time I will be adding 12TB drives to the array for Plex Storage.

Questions:

1. If I wanted to run Plex now on the new hardware that points back to my other NAS drives (Synology and Asustor stand alones) would I just add the onboard 1TB to the array and start it then install Plex in Docker? 
  2. If I did it this way would I just add hard drives to the machine as I get them (1 parity and the rest into the array)?
  3. I also plan to run some VMs on this machine through unRaid, is there anything I need to do differently with that in mind?

Thank you for the help and all the newb questions.

40 minutes ago, unRAIDuser7 said:

Unless I'm missing something, you can only use 2 drives for cache in unRAID.

The limit of 2 applies to parity. You can use pretty much any valid BTRFS RAID level in the cache pool. Some configurations are more stable or performant than others. Current limit of 24 drives in the cache pool. YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 4:30 PM, jonathanm said:

The limit of 2 applies to parity. You can use pretty much any valid BTRFS RAID level in the cache pool. Some configurations are more stable or performant than others. Current limit of 24 drives in the cache pool. YMMV

Good to know. I just assumed it was 2 for each. I don't know that I'd ever need more than 2 for cache, but either way, thanks for the info.