Hard drives not showing in Unraid trial 6.8.3

Hello community.

Today I have installed Unraid onto a 16GB USB and began a trial of Unraid OS using the latest stable version - 6.8.3. I have spent the last 4 hours trying to get 2 hard drives recognised by Unraid and have so far failed and quickly loosing trust in a system I am yet to use. I therefore turn to the community for guidance and to build this trust.

The system is a SuperMicro CSE-846 with a X9DRi-F motherboard. It has an Adaptec 71605 1GB (SAS/SATA) RAID card installed connected to a backplane. I have configured this to HBA mode.

I have installed a 14TB WD drive and a 12TB WD drive into the server. Both drives are recognised within the raid controller config screen. See screenshot.

When booted into Unraid I cannot see the drives and on the one occasion this evening I managed to see a drive, it could not be selected in the dropdown to create an array. I downloaded the plugin unassigned devices and drives did not show here. I have plugged the drives into a Windows PC and it was instantly recognised by Windows. I used Windows to do a quick reformat of the drives but they still did not show in Unraid. Shutting down and starting up the system I eventually got Unraid to show the 14TB drive as a SCSI device but still could not mount it, assign it as parity or data drive. I restarted the system in the hope of also having the 12TB drive appear but in doing so lost both drives from view of Unraid and haven't been able to get them back.

I don't know what help it is but, before I shut down and left the server for the night I took a copy of the system log. At this point it did not recognise the drives in Unraid. Text file attached. I have also attached screenshots showing drives not there.

I hope someone can tell me what is going wrong. If all goes to plan this system will be holding 12 drives and in excess of 30TB data and while I have a backup of the data I'd prefer not to have to use it.

Please let me know if you need more information to diagnose the problem.

Ben.

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 21.29.59.png

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 21.31.06.png

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 21.31.54.png

IMG_4352.jpg

System Log.rtf

Ben,

I could be way off track, as I'm fairly new here, but the first thing I'd check is the syslog under /var/log. You'll want to look for the drives to show up during the boot process. If you don't see it, I'd suspect something's not being passed correctly when unRaid is booting. Something you could try is re-flash the HBA but without the ROM. Since you don't need the HBA to manage your devices, you may be able to see them passed through that way. I just flashed a 9217 to HBA and left out the ROM and my devices showed up instantly. The downside is they won't show in UEFI/BIOS, but I have no need to boot from my HDDs so no big deal. Finally, does the mobo have at least one SATA port? I don't know anything about the hardware you mentioned, so I'm just taking a stab in the dark. If you've got a SATA port, I'd ensure that a drive can be recognized that way.

Good luck!