Temp Monitor Errors - Ryzen+X570 (ASUS TUF)

• 2 months later...

Update: Finally upgraded my backup Unraid using my spare Ryzen parts, as planned.

Purchased and installed an ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) motherboard, upgraded BIOS to latest v3405.

Looks like the temp monitors don't work for some reason on this board, even though it seems to use the same sensors, and is almost identical to the ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) in my primary Unraid. Even detects the same drivers, but seems unable to detect any of the sensors.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Hi,

I upgrade both my systems last week to BIOS version 4021 and I've been having the same issues.

I still have working temps on the X570-PLUS and not on the X570-PRO.

Seeing as they are both using the same chipset, I've been trying to copy the temp configuration from Unraid1 over to Unraid2, but I've not managed to make it work yet.

I did this by copying the file /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.system.temp.plg and the contents from /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.system.temp/ to the other server.

After a reboot, that didn't seem to work.

If anyone has any idea how I can copy a working temp config to another server, I would be grateful.

If the temp improvements are confirmed to be in kernel 5.16, in my opinion it doesn't seem like a good idea to upgrade just to see if it will work if 6.10rc2 is confirmed to have kernel 5.14.15. Seems like a good way to possibly create more issues (Like the share configuration being disabled/modified) where there might not be right now.

I've been waiting and considering 6.10rc2 for a while, especially with the first inclusion of swTPM for Windows 11, but still I wouldn't advise upgrade without solid reasoning.

Right now, I've been watching and reading to see what the reported experiences are.

I know I can potentially roll back, but that's not a great plan for me personally. I need my servers, and I'm still struggling with some other unraid issues around 10Gbit networking and bonding.

Honestly, I wish that kernel 5.16 would be used if that includes temp monitor updates for X570 motherboards, but that will come later for other reasons I suppose.

Also, my X570-PLUS seems to work quite well.

Saying that, I'm not keen to change anything, as I've done that before and lost all of my sensors.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

Similar setup to this. TUF-Pro x570 coupled with a 5700g.

My issue is that one of the NVME drives keeps reporting back a temp of 84 degrees for a period in Unraid, even though the drive itself is cool to the touch and reporting back about 36-38 degrees. Does anyone have a view why it might be behaving this way?

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Rythal said:

Using the higher tier b550 (b550-e) it detects the same sensor (NCT6775) with the same only has CPU temp nothing else. Running on 6.10RC2 since it's a brand new build so going bleeding edge hurt nothing.

Sorry no, I strongly disagree with the assertion of "going bleeding edge hurt nothing".

We all know clearly enough, that updating can break thing just as much as fix things... and often does introduce issues.

If you need your unraid for anything more than a test/play box, then it's something we all consider when upgrading especially to dev/RC releases.

The prospect of encountering issues on a working server that you need for daily functions, for the sake of "bleeding edge" is (to put it lightly) discouraging.

This thread is about temperature monitors in kernel versions of unraid, so that being said, the idea of upgrading to an unraid version to maybe get a feature that you know is not in the kernel version of that release is risking a lot and frankly a bit stupid.

On 11/27/2021 at 7:49 AM, KptnKMan said:

Sorry no, I strongly disagree with the assertion of "going bleeding edge hurt nothing".

We all know clearly enough, that updating can break thing just as much as fix things... and often does introduce issues.

If you need your unraid for anything more than a test/play box, then it's something we all consider when upgrading especially to dev/RC releases.

The prospect of encountering issues on a working server that you need for daily functions, for the sake of "bleeding edge" is (to put it lightly) discouraging.

This thread is about temperature monitors in kernel versions of unraid, so that being said, the idea of upgrading to an unraid version to maybe get a feature that you know is not in the kernel version of that release is risking a lot and frankly a bit stupid.

I may of phrased it badly, but that was exactly what I meant. It was a brand new server with nothing on it and never used before, so in that case bleeding edge hurt nothing. If it was production and in use I would agree and never think about beta candidates.

• 5 months later...

So I've got an update on this issue, especially for anyone wandering in looking for answers.

Yesterday I updated both my unRAID systems to 6.10.1, and posting results.

According to release notes, 6.10.1 is running Linux kernel version 5.15.40-Unraid (CVE-2021-33909 CVE-2021-33910 CVE-2022-0847). Notably, this is not kernel 5.16, which I understand has the fixes/updates for correct k10temp detection, so I assume that one of the modules has been backported to this version.

Looking through the release notes, there are references to updated modules like lm_sensors: version 3.6.0 and others, but I cannot tell right now which specific library may have been updated.

Secondary unRAID, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI), BIOS version v4021 (Latest stable is 4204 with 4403 beta available).

After the upgrade, it looks like all the sensors for the X570-PRO are working, I did not do any manual detection but showed up and lists everything I would expect:

image.png.ea6c46bc302bf5f7003b79b8098fbb71.png

Primary Unraid, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), BIOS version v4203 (Latest stable is 4204 with 4403 beta available).

System works as expected, but seems to have reset to showing all the sensors again, I have not tried any manual detection.

I note that Perl is no longer installed but everything seems to work:

image.png.729c293c142e02fd2cf4a548d7ae7484.png

All things considered, I'd call this a win. 👍