How and how often do you use IPMI?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and as I'm considering to run Unraid as my NAS+VM solution, I have some questions hardware related...

First one is about server motherboards and IPMI usage - for the people that have IPMI on their motherboards.

How often and for what exactly do you use IPMI? I thought that I want it and with it comes server motherboard, but the longer I think about it I'm not sure if I will use it enough to justify the cost of server motherboard....

My two servers are in a rack in my garage, I do all work remotely, BIOS updates, BIOS config, OS installs, boot media selection, etc.

No need for keyboard or monitor, no need to physically go to the rack for software maintenance tasks. 

I would not use a mobo without IPMI support.

1 hour ago, dwa said:

First one is about server motherboards and IPMI usage - for the people that have IPMI on their motherboards.

Both of my server motherboards have IPMI.  For one, it is an absolute must.  I backup my main server to another server once a week via an automated script.  The backup server is powered on and off in the backup script via IPMI.  It allows the server to be powered down most of the time and then powered on when needed via IPMI. 

My main server also has IPMI now (as of two months ago).  For years, it had a non-IPMI motherboard and I got along just fine without it.  IPMI is used less often on that server, but, it does allow me to monitor the server remotely, update/modify the BIOS, and perform other server maintenance and configuration functions without an attached monitor and keyboard.  I have a monitor and keyboard standing by to be used if necessary, but, I can manage the server quite nicely via IMPI without being in the same room or even in the house. 

I can remote reboot/power on if necessary even if I am unable to access the GUI via VPN.  IPMI is always on even when the server is off and with a dedicated IPMI NIC, problems with the eth0 or eth1 NICs don't cause problems for IPMI.

Could I live without IPMI?  Sure, as I did for years.  It is a luxury more than a necessity (other than for the backup server), but, I like luxury sometimes if just for the convenience and flexibility.  😀

I was waiting for some more replies, but it didn't happen, so... 🙂

After some thought I decided to go with consumer motherboard, my Unraid box will be in a separate room on a shelf with some old LCD and keyboard and mouse connected. The idea for this box is to run unattended 24/7, so if I would need to connect to it often with IPMI, that would mean it is not doing what it was supposed to do. ;-) I can also get consumer parts for cheap and if I ever change my mind I will go with server motherboard then.

Thanks for your replies.

On 5/11/2020 at 7:12 PM, dwa said:

After some thought I decided to go with consumer motherboard, my Unraid box will be in a separate room on a shelf with some old LCD and keyboard and mouse connected.

Yeah, if a physical keyboard/monitor is not a hassle for you, I'd say go for that. I've been trying to get IPMI working for about a week and a half. So far it's more of a pain than anything. Modern browsers no longer allow java applets, so the quick and painless use case of pasting your IP into your web browser and remote controlling your server seems to be a thing of the past. Even after pouring through a bunch of IPMI documentation all week and wrestling with FreeIPMI at the command-line to no avail, I'm realizing it would be much easier to just keep a keyboard and mouse hooked up, for my use case. I assume IPMI works better on newer motherboards. 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 5/7/2020 at 3:20 PM, ptr727 said:

My two servers are in a rack in my garage, I do all work remotely, BIOS updates, BIOS config, OS installs, boot media selection, etc.

No need for keyboard or monitor, no need to physically go to the rack for software maintenance tasks. 

I would not use a mobo without IPMI support.

Is your garage climate controlled? Here in Florida, that would destroy the equipment just getting it near a garage in summer. 😓💦

24 minutes ago, ionred said:

Is your garage climate controlled? Here in Florida, that would destroy the equipment just getting it near a garage in summer. 😓💦

Unfortunately not, but we (90266) only have about two months of 90F+ in my garage, rest of the year mid 70's.

My garage is insulated and drywalled, I have a 24/7 extractor fan in the ceiling, I have 4 top mounted extractor fans on the rack, and SNMP and email alert environment monitoring in the rack. On really hot days I run a high speed floor fan and leave the garage door about 6" open.

The biggest problem I have is when we park hot engine cars in the garage, the servers don't like that. I've trained the family to let the cars cool down before parking inside in the summer.

I wish I had planned better when we built the house and ran ducting for the rack to the outside.