[6.8.3] Parity drive disabled - 4th time in the last 3 months

TLDR: Parity drive disabled for 4th time. Have tried reseating drive, different drive and drive bay.

The issue I'm facing is that for the 4th time, my parity drive has been disabled. The rest of the system is running fine i.e. array still writeable etc. 

I previously had this issue (twice) with a 4TB WD Red. Each time, I would stop the array, remove drive, start array, then re-add and sync parity, which was successful. I assumed it was the drive so replaced it with a new 8TB Seagate IronWolf, in a different drive bay (specs below). I have now had the issue occur twice with this new drive. Each time the new drive was disabled, I ran a full pre-clear to see if any SMART errors occurred but found nothing.

I would very much appreciate any help or suggestions from the community. The NAS is not yet properly in production so I can mess around with it if needed.

Thank you in advance!

Hardware:

HP DL380e Gen8

HP H220 HBA

4 Data drives

1 Parity drive

2 cache SSDs

Software

ESXI 6.7 U3

Unraid 6.8.3 running as VM, with USB passed through from host

All drives passed through as RDM drives

nas-diagnostics-20200508-1117.zip

I moved this here because you're virtualizing Unraid and that's not officially supported, though it would probably work better if you pass-through the controller to Unraid, but I'll leave it to anyone with experience with VMWare top give you more help.

4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

I moved this here because you're virtualizing Unraid and that's not officially supported, though it would probably work better if you pass-through the controller to Unraid, but I'll leave it to anyone with experience with VMWare top give you more help.

Thanks for moving my post. 

I would like to pass through the HBA but I'm also using it for VM storage on the host Server so am not able to.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be suffering the same issue. I have 2 6TB parity drives, 1 WD and 1 HGST. Both drives are randomly disabling with no apparent errors. 
I just reenabled them 2 days ago (2 days of Parity check/rebuild). I updated 3 dockers and after the updates, both drives disabled again. This is the 3rd time since I updated to 6.8.3. 

Rolled back to 6.8.2, to see if it's version related.

Edited by dojesus