pfsense + 4G LTE modem. Anybody using one as a primary connection?

After getting cheesed off with my cable ISP and having good 4G coverage, I thought I'd give a 4G router a go.......

So, having received a Huawei B535 router, my experience has been a mixed bag. As a simple solution, it's fine..... solid 4G internet.... decent wifi router... gigabit LAN ports...

But!.... Incorporating it into pfsense has been a different issue.... I thought I all routers these days have a modem/bridge mode so I could just connect it straight into my pfsense WAN port..... But it doesn't.... My bad, poor research! But I can't find any recommendations for any that do?

Further, what research I have done also suggests that you can't get a public IP address from a 4G provider? I certainly saw that when I plugged the router into my WAN port, pfsense only saw the internal address... That suggests that I'll struggle with DuckDNS/openVPN as well, does it not?

Has anybody here had success incorporating a 4G router into their system please?

Paul

Edited by pm1961
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, I am about to go down the same route. Did you stick with it? Have you managed to iron out all the issues?

I'm currently getting my internet from a cable provider, but we're moving into a remote location so i'm trying to consume as much info as I can in the actual set up. Am torn between getting a USB modem or a separate one with ethernet.

Hi,

I have recently gone all LTE with a modem with no bridge mode.   I use a TPlink MR600  (No bridge mode available)

Its not a real issue.   Turn off dhcp,  turn off wifi if its enabled,  DMZ your pfsense.  and make sure no firewall is enabled.  Set its ip to be inline with your chosen ip in pfsense.  ie modem 192.168.1.1  (static)  pfsense 192.168.1.2. or similar.

You will be looking to limit all its functions to just providing internet to pfsense. 

Good luck.