mining card fot gpu passthrough ?

xeats

Hi,

I've a HP proliant DL580 G5 as my main unraid server, and I would like to have a gpu to passthrough a VM .. But I don't want to pay 1000$ for this upgrade, and I've seen a GTX 1060 ZOTAC P106-90 3G on the web for cheap.

This card doesn't have any output because it's a mining card, so I'm not sure that unraid can passthrough this card.

Do you know if it's possible please ?

• 3 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 6:51 PM, xeats said:

Do you know if it's possible please ?

Am ordering one now off eBay, and will follow up on this after I have some chance to test it out. Everyone I've talked to says it's "possible" but has not yet been tested. Also, I don't expect the performance of a 1080GTX, but if it can do a h265 transcode - it will be worth it.

• Like 1
On 8/10/2020 at 12:05 AM, tjb_altf4 said:

Officially not supported, but...

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvenc-and-gp106-100/67850/3

But with some hacked drivers it might work

So, bit of an update here. The Zotac P106-90 Card just arrived. (Looks like crap, but might still work.) For $30 on eBay, worth the shot. I might be able to do something with a "folding" computational machine, if nothing else. And if it's a working card, and I can't do anything with it, back on eBay it goes at a really good price. (shrug) Hardly a loss when I think about it- as I will have learned something.

Reminder: My goal is PLEX Transcoding within a Docker using the NVIDIA port of unRAID;  not to run a gaming Windows 10 VM.

(Sorry if that disappoints, but hey... these are my priorities.)

And yes, I've seen the LTT discussion, and the potentials for unlocking the NVENC hardware decoder. Still working my way through some of those posts on REDDIT, and none of them actually gave it a "fair shot" on linux imho. And considering all risks involved, that's maybe not a huge thing. If I do this, it's going to be on tested on a rig I have with a unRAID 30-day trial license first. Not going to risk my main system on this "thing" (yet.) If I do get it to work, my goal is going to be testing PLEX with H.265 NVENC for some 4K files, and see what happens.

Heck, to be honest, I really just want a few streams of 1080p to be cast to some TVs on gigabit lan set up, and maybe speed up some other offerings like the BOINC protein folding for nCOVID-19 project.

It's probably going to be 30-60 days before I get any real results, so be patient. (Just got news that I am moving to a rental house for a year while we do a major home reno! So I get to move all my LAN and Server gear... so - Press [F] to pay Respect! to my bank account... ow.)

bank account.png

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 9:45 PM, rollieindc said:

So, bit of an update here. The Zotac P106-90 Card just arrived. (Looks like crap, but might still work.) For $30 on eBay, worth the shot. I might be able to do something with a "folding" computational machine, if nothing else. And if it's a working card, and I can't do anything with it, back on eBay it goes at a really good price. (shrug) Hardly a loss when I think about it- as I will have learned something.

Reminder: My goal is PLEX Transcoding within a Docker using the NVIDIA port of unRAID;  not to run a gaming Windows 10 VM.

(Sorry if that disappoints, but hey... these are my priorities.)

And yes, I've seen the LTT discussion, and the potentials for unlocking the NVENC hardware decoder. Still working my way through some of those posts on REDDIT, and none of them actually gave it a "fair shot" on linux imho. And considering all risks involved, that's maybe not a huge thing. If I do this, it's going to be on tested on a rig I have with a unRAID 30-day trial license first. Not going to risk my main system on this "thing" (yet.) If I do get it to work, my goal is going to be testing PLEX with H.265 NVENC for some 4K files, and see what happens.

Heck, to be honest, I really just want a few streams of 1080p to be cast to some TVs on gigabit lan set up, and maybe speed up some other offerings like the BOINC protein folding for nCOVID-19 project.

It's probably going to be 30-60 days before I get any real results, so be patient. (Just got news that I am moving to a rental house for a year while we do a major home reno! So I get to move all my LAN and Server gear... so - Press [F] to pay Respect! to my bank account... ow.)

bank account.png

so i am interested in doing the same. i have a limited budget and was looking into a quadro p600 or a 1050 ti but right now they go for $100+ used and $200 new. the mining card for $50 or less is more appealing since i would only use it for plex transcoding anyways

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I received a P106-90 card and tested it in my unraid server.  I was fighting things trying to get NVENC support working for plex.  This card does not support NVENC it has no encoding/decoding available.  After installing Unraid Nvidia I went futher realizing plex required a higher nvidia driver version to support hardware decoding.  I used the Unraid Kernel Helper to update to the latest nvidia drivers however that did not help with encoding/decoding.  My only hope now is someone knows of a custom bios that unlocks encoding/decoding but im not even sure if the card would have the right chips onboard to do it.

On 11/17/2020 at 5:01 PM, ich777 said:

I'm unsure if Mining cards have the NVENC encoder on it...

But what you can do is flash a regular BIOS... but please be aware that this could toally destroy your card...

you can in theory, you can't on practice.

It was tested already and even though its possible to hack programming tool for to not complain about BIOS version's mismatch, GPU itself doesn't accept new regular BIOS. the only way (and this time its hypothetical ) is to flash regular BIOS on programator