High Array Read/Writing (SOLVED)

Hello everyone! I am rather new to unraid and to these forums. I have done my best to follow the unbelievable videos of SpaceInvaderOne. But I believe I have made a mistake somewhere down the line. My array shows a single drive as having over 18million read/writes which is slightly less than the 20million ready/rights to the cache. Am I doing something wrong somewhere? My appdata, ISOs, Systems are all set to cache only. I am running dockers and no VMs as of yet. I have attached screenshots that might be helpful... I also installed iotop and ran iotop --only but that did not really tell me much. Anyone have any ideas? I really dont want to kill the drive because of a silly mistake i make somewhere! Thank you!!

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 2.51.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 2.52.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 2.52.18 PM.png

Edited by CybranNakh
Closing this issue!
7 hours ago, CybranNakh said:

I also checked file activity and it showed basically only couple shows being watched on plex and a few files being opened on the unassigned drive. 

All of your data on disk1 to start is typical with the default High-water Allocation Method. Your docker mappings say you have all your downloads going to Unassigned, but I notice you also have a cache-only user share anonymized in the diagnostics as d-------s. Possibly this is where you were downloading before you switched them to Unassigned. That user share is cache-only, but all its files are on disk1. Mover ignores cache-no user shares. I am guessing you don't really want those moved to cache but you might reconsider the Use cache setting for that share since it doesn't make any sense as it is currently.

Something that you should definitely reconsider is your system user share. That is where your docker image is, which contains the executable code for all your dockers. Your system share is cache-yes and all on the array. Ideally you want the system share to stay on cache so your docker performance won't be impacted by the slower array, and so they won't keep array disks spinning. That share is cache-prefer by default, but now that you have it on the array it will take a few steps to get it moved to cache where it belongs.

Other than that I don't see anything. Disk1 will continue to be used until it gets to the High-water mark, half-full.

16 hours ago, trurl said:

All of your data on disk1 to start is typical with the default High-water Allocation Method. Your docker mappings say you have all your downloads going to Unassigned, but I notice you also have a cache-only user share anonymized in the diagnostics as d-------s. Possibly this is where you were downloading before you switched them to Unassigned. That user share is cache-only, but all its files are on disk1. Mover ignores cache-no user shares. I am guessing you don't really want those moved to cache but you might reconsider the Use cache setting for that share since it doesn't make any sense as it is currently.

Something that you should definitely reconsider is your system user share. That is where your docker image is, which contains the executable code for all your dockers. Your system share is cache-yes and all on the array. Ideally you want the system share to stay on cache so your docker performance won't be impacted by the slower array, and so they won't keep array disks spinning. That share is cache-prefer by default, but now that you have it on the array it will take a few steps to get it moved to cache where it belongs.

Other than that I don't see anything. Disk1 will continue to be used until it gets to the High-water mark, half-full.

Thank you so much! This has been driving me nuts since I was so worried about so much use on the hard drive! you are correct! the user share "Downloads" was moved to an unassigned device. I have switched this to cache-prefer as suggested as you are right. As for the Systems folder... I have set this to Cache prefer as you recommend! Hopefully this reduces the number of reads and writes to the array but with the description you gave (and the fact that the docker image lives there.... I am fairly certain you solved my problem! I have then run a mover as well. 

Thanks again! I will monitor the RW and see if the number continues to grow out of control! 

12 hours ago, CybranNakh said:

As for the Systems folder... I have set this to Cache prefer as you recommend!

On 5/9/2020 at 8:37 AM, trurl said:

now that you have it on the array it will take a few steps to get it moved to cache where it belongs.

In other words, just setting it to cache-prefer is not enough.

12 hours ago, CybranNakh said:

I have then run a mover as well. 

Mover can't move open files. While the docker service is enabled, mover can't move docker image since the docker service has it open. So it is unlikely you have actually gotten system share moved to cache.

Post new diagnostics.

On 5/10/2020 at 10:25 AM, trurl said:

In other words, just setting it to cache-prefer is not enough.

Mover can't move open files. While the docker service is enabled, mover can't move docker image since the docker service has it open. So it is unlikely you have actually gotten system share moved to cache.

Post new diagnostics.

Sorry for the delay! I have been moving! I have attached the new ddiagnostics... I just took the docker offline... ran mover and then restarted docker. I also have now set Systems to Only. 

apollo-diagnostics-20200514-2046.zip

Edited by CybranNakh
Forgot attachment
On 5/10/2020 at 10:26 AM, trurl said:

Are you sure you want that share to stay on cache? Why???

It is kinda stupid... but I basically have 2 folders both named Downloads... one on an unsigned device and one on the cache... the one on the cache is not in use really... the unassigned device one is the main one used. 

On 5/14/2020 at 8:53 PM, trurl said:

system share is all on cache now.

You should get rid of it then. Your cache isn't very large and could use the space.

That is true. I'll get rid of it.... I have been meaning to upgrade the cache drive to at 1TB just to have extra headroom.... I dont really fill up the cache as of yet but once I start during VMs, I have a feeling I will need more space!  

Thanks for all your help!!