[SOLVED] CPU Governor not working

Hi,

today I had an power supply outage (whole neighborhood for few minutes) and since then my cpu (Pentium G5400) runs at 3.7 GHz all the time. The Dashboard shows 30-40% for all cores/hts all the time. But “top” only shows a few percent overall. Of course I’m using the Tips&Tweaks Plugin and I’ve set the cpu to Power Save, which was just working fine until today. I have an Asrock H370M-ITX Mainboard. I’ve already updated the BIOS version to the latest one, set everything to default and tried different C-State settings. I’ve also tried intel_pstate=disable, after that ACPI was shown in the Tips&Tweaks plugin (instead of Intel PState, but after starting my array all cores only ran at 800 MHz all the time.

The most strange thing is, that the CPU Governor does seem to work BEFORE I start the array (reducing to 800 MHz after some time and showing 2.6 GHz in between for example, like it should be). After starting my array all cores are at maximum clock speed all the time (Power Save and Intel PState enabled). Cpufreq-info shows a minimum speed of 800 MHz and a maximum speed of 3.7 GHz.

Of course I don’t know whether the the cpu got maybe damaged, but I would guess it would be completely destroyed or not at all, so just a thought, especially since it seems to work before starting the array.

I’ve changed Power Save to Performance and back again a couple of times, doesn’t change anything regarding clock speeds...

Until today I was still running 6.8.2, so I updated to 6.8.3, but the problem remains.

I’ve attached my diagnostics, hopefully someone can help me :)

EDIT: Intel Speedstep is of course enabled in my BIOS settings.

jarvis-diagnostics-20200509-0056.zip

Edited by lixe

After a lot of tests I was finally able to solve the problem myself. The maximum clock speeds for all the time were caused by the Checksum Suite plugin, which I installed a few weeks ago... so the power outage didn't harm anything at all in the end.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] CPU Governor not working