v6.7.2 : The Red Ball of Death

One of my drives came up with a Red X when I was pre-clearing a new drive. I know what caused this, it was my bad. I read the Trust my Array note, but I obviously didn't understand something, as it says to clear the parity drive, stop the array and restart the array, but how can you clear the parity drive assignment when the array is running? So I ran a parity check which came up fine, but it did not clear the Red X.

Any assistance appreciated.

No amount of permutations would let me start the array with the Parity disk unassigned. It kept telling me too many bad or missing disks. I also tried creating a new configuration, but this did not resolve anything. So I unassigned the disabled disk and started and stopped the array. It's currently rebuilding the disk, fortunately it's only 4TB. 😑

It would be nice if there was an easier process for this, but I get that it's to protect us from ourselves.

2 hours ago, Slimer said:

I read the Trust my Array note, but I obviously didn't understand something, as it says to clear the parity drive, stop the array and restart the array

Do you have a link where you read this? This seems like a paraphrase of a misunderstanding. And rebuilding instead of trusting parity is almost always the right choice, since the disabled disk is the one out-of-sync.

18 minutes ago, Slimer said:

I also tried creating a new configuration, but this did not resolve anything.

You must not have followed through on the New Config because that would definitely have gotten you out of the state where the disk was disabled.

3 minutes ago, Slimer said:

So I unassigned the disabled disk and started and stopped the array. It's currently rebuilding the disk

You left out some steps in your description here, but you must have done them or it wouldn't be rebuilding the disk.

stop array

unassign disabled disk

start array

stop array

reassign disabled disk

start array to begin rebuild

The reason you have to start the array with the disk unassigned is so Unraid will acknowledge that you have replaced the disk when you reassign it, so it will begin rebuilding.

It really would have been better if you had asked before doing anything. Many people have fumbled around and gotten themselves into a situation where they can't recover because they tried different things before asking for help.

It sounds as if you may have stumbled on the recommended procedure at last though. Going through New Config before getting to that recommended procedure could have been a very bad mistake if the disk truly was bad.

If you have further trouble, ask (and post your diagnostics).