IO Crest 4 port SATA Card with Marvell 88SE9215

The general recommendation is now to avoid Marvell based cards for use in Unraid.  You can find LSI based cards on E-bay at quite reasonable prices these days.  Just vet the vendor very carefully as many new cards are counterfeit.  The used OEM (IBM and Dell) LSI cards have been found to be quite reliable.

Edited by Frank1940

Thanks @Frank1940 - I am in South Africa and prices for these items are rather expensive when you add in shipping etc.

I will have a look around but was hoping someone on the forum tested this card as it's included on the supported list that I saw. Maybe I can also test it to see if it picks up my drives with virtualization enabled?

• 4 weeks later...

See my thread here:

I just tried a card (which uses this same chip) and can confirm it does NOT work, even with the iommu=pt parameter. Definitely go with an LSI card (+ expander if necessary). It is not worth the effort to get this broken chip working. It works fine in Windows but the Linux kernel just does not like it w/ IOMMU / VT-D enabled.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:24 PM, ultimz said:

Thanks for the response @nimaim - I'll try and get my hands on a LSI card :)

No problem. I guess my case is special as the card I mentioned uses 2x 9215s bridged with a ASM1806 (which is probably why everything I've tried has had no effect). Most cards I see on here use a single Marvell chip where that kernel boot parameter seems to work.

But my point remains: if you want good compatibility and reliability, just stick to LSI. I learned this the hard way. There is an awesome list of all of them (including OEMs) here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/lsi-raid-controller-and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/. You can get some of them dirt cheap on Ebay.