LSI 9211-8i IT Mode Firmware Flash Issue

I bought a LSI 9211-8i and I've been trying to flash it using my x79 motherboard, and following a few guides like the ones below:

https://nguvu.org/freenas/Convert-LSI-HBA-card-to-IT-mode/

https://nullsec.us/raid-on-home-esxi-lab/

The one that got me the farthest is the last one as I have to use UEFI. I've gotten all the way till the "fs0:/> sas2flash.efi -o -e 6" command; However, the "sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118ir.bin" (I'm not trying to install the .rom) isn't working. Even if I do it with the full "sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118ir.bin -b mptsas2.rom" command. I have my server up and can't turn it off as it will brick the card. Please advice what I should do here. Another question, which card is better for unraid and/oir overall, the SAS 9207-8i already flashed to IT or the LSI 9211-8i?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I also get this after I try to do these other things...

4.thumb.jpg.77e8545611840141638094a0c2d86c01.jpg
5.thumb.jpg.48228146bd6aea4ed07162c1e04b7d4e.jpg

Edited by JustOverride

I have tried using a different keyboard, and changing the flash file to "it.bin" in case the issue was being caused by being too long or by the numbers and no luck. I've also try to use 'sas2flash.efi -o -f it.bin' and 'sas2flash.efi -o -b mptsas2.rom'. I still get the syntax error. Any other suggestions? 

Isn't the address something that is set after the firmware update? I kinda don't wanna keep trying to remove stuff from it but at this point I guess I'll try it.

If this doesn't work out I may try the SAS 9207-8i as it appears to come pre-flashed to IT. However, I would like to know which card is better for unraid and/or overall, the SAS 9207-8i or the LSI 9211-8i?

On 5/12/2020 at 6:03 PM, Benson said:

May be you could try -o -e 7, but this will clear SASaddress too, you just need to set any address later or found the address on label.

This is not working. It is asking that a firmware hostboot is required, and to enter one. I try entering the file name for the firmware and it throws an error.

"selected adapter does not have valid firmware! Please run utility again and flash firmware.
due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to process commands.
exiting sas2flash."

Tried flashing again, and no dice.

On 5/13/2020 at 7:32 AM, XiuzSu said:

I would like to know which card is better for unraid and/or overall, the SAS 9207-8i or the LSI 9211-8i?

No much different as both are 6Gbps / SAS2, mainly different are PCIe interface 2.0 or 3.0 ( 5GT / 8GT )

1 hour ago, XiuzSu said:

"selected adapter does not have valid firmware! Please run utility again and flash firmware.
due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to process commands.
exiting sas2flash."

Some error still uncertain and fix, I try -o 6 or 7 on several HBA ( chips 2008 / 2308 ) also no problem. If possible, pls try on other mainboard.

Edited by Benson

@BensonYea, after the first 'sas2flash.efi -o -e 6' nothing has actually worked after that, other than 'sas2flash.efi -listall' to see it.

I literally been on this for about a week now and I'm done with this card. I bought and installed a LSI Logic SAS 9207-8i and is currently in FW Revision 18, already in IT mode. It did cost me $20 more; However the original is still within the return time frame so I will be returning it. I don't know about you, but when its been over a week and someone still can't flash a firmware, I would go ahead and call that defective.

I think the latest version is 20, am I save to stay with the version it came in? Like security/issues wise?

(edit) Man, I do kinda want to remove at least the ROM so I don't have to wait extra time booting up.. I know I'm being picky.

Edited by JustOverride
12 minutes ago, XiuzSu said:

I think the latest version is 20, am I save to stay with the version it came in? Like security/issues wise?

For me, always update to latest version, some trouble case post also fix by update to latest version.

12 minutes ago, XiuzSu said:

(edit) Man, I do kinda want to remove at least the ROM so I don't have to wait extra time booting up.. I know I'm being picky.

You can remove the BIOS / Firmware ( I m not sure which one should be ), so that no POST the OpROM and waiting on boot.

But you can keep both and disable the "Storage OpROM" in mainboard BIOS, then it also won't POST and need wait, I use this on all my platform also success.

Edited by Benson

I appreciate the help! The new card works right away, in IT mode, I disabled OpROM and that pesky delay went away and UNRAID booted. All drives detected. I'm going to go ahead and call this a win.

Anyone looking at this in the future, I would simply suggest getting a card that already comes with IT mode. Not worth the 10-20$ in savings.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, pucspifo said:

Has anyone managed to solve this, aside from buying new hardware? I'm stuck in the same spot. Attempting to flash the FW doesn't work, same for the bios.

I've tried every idea I've seen on here to no avail.

As said above, we would need more details. However, if you're referring to the flashing process itself it SHOULD be pretty straight forward. It sounds like you've done plenty of research. If so, you should be able to do it within 1-2 hours. The process is pretty straight forward. If you can't get it to flash the reason can be from the card not being able to be flashes by your hardware or the card itself its soft 'locked' to not allow flashing to IT. I read that somewhere. Either way, I would strongly advice to save the large amount of time you're going to waste trying to figure this out as in the end it may still not work. I ultimately also returned the LSI Logic SAS 9207-8i and purchase the LSI 9217-8i 6Gbs SAS PCI-E 3.0 HBA FW. The seller below has this cards cheap, and already updated to the latest software and in IT mode. I've purchased 2 of them, they are perfect!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-9217-8i-6Gbs-SAS-PCI-E-3-0-HBA-FW-P20-IT-Mode-For-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID-US/143469435983?hash=item216771dc4f:g:Pv0AAOSw1ABd8eP6

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Hi,

This is my first post, and before that I read everything I managed to find on this forum related to LSI 9217-8i flash to IT mode. And tried all the proposed options, where others have already reported that they have successfully performed the procedure.

I used the motherboard:
- HP Z420
- Asrock h55m-le

I get the same result regardless of whether the usb boot is in legacy or uefi mode.

The first command sas2flash.exe -o -e 7 or sas2flash.exe -list or sas2flash.exe -listall get the same result.20210508_101512.thumb.jpg.c8cb1a7d7167e52d5547b748e8cf25c1.jpg

I would ask for advice on what I am doing wrong or where I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help / advice