[USB Passtrough] USB device ID changing every minute

Hi everybody!

I am trying to passthrough a CC2531 Zigbee USB stick for days now. As you might expect, without any success. My investigations led me to the following problem that might cause the initial problem with passing through the USB device.

If I do a 'lsusb' to list the USB devices, the Zigbee stick shows up as "Texas Instruments ....." but as you can see from the attached screenshot, the Zigbee stick's device ID constantly changes every minute. The stick itself is plugged in the same USB port the whole time. Sometimes it even looses connection to UnRaid I guess, because it does not show up in the output.

Is there any trick get UnRaid to not change the device ID every minute? I guess this would help a lot to get the Zigbee stick passed through to my VM or a Docker container in the future.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.:

UnRaid is running on a Asrock J5005-ITX board. I tried multiple of the board's USB ports, 2.0 as well as 3.0 ports, with the same result. Also wanted to pass through the whole PCI controller, but since the board only seems to have one, this is not possible. Even if the output says there are two buses, the Zigbee stick always shows up below bus 001, no matter what USB port I plug it in.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-12 um 14.38.50.png

Edited by laest

I am also seeing my device change ids, but only when I unplug it and plug it back in, forcing me to reconnect it to the VM.
I also don't have this working, but I can see the device at /dev/ttyACM0 in the VM, but encounter errors when trying to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

probably not of much help but usb controllers seem to be hit and miss for many (espeically amd ryzen owbers) and even then it feels usb controllers even when in seperate groups appear to still be sharing from the other usb controllers on the mobo causing other issues and instability.

I see why space invader vid he just bought a usb controller card and passed that through so reduced the headache, gonna do same shortly.

• 2 years later...

for Dockers 

the best method to passthrough usb to docker is via device by-id

open unraid terminal
type 

ls -l /dev/serial/by-id

you will get output of your devices with names

image.thumb.png.cd72d8f445bd803898dfcb787b1ecd99.png

copy the whole BLUE name of your device

go to your docker and edit config

add /dev/serial/by-id/  before pasting the name from above.

eg

/dev/serial/by-id/usb-ITead_Sonoff_Zigbee_3.0_USB_Dongle_Plus_dcf756dbb712ec118bca20c7bd930c07-if00-port0

then add :/dev/zigbee to the end -  this is the container mount point

so you end up with this in your Docker Host config:

/dev/serial/by-id/usb-ITead_Sonoff_Zigbee_3.0_USB_Dongle_Plus_dcf756dbb712ec118bca20c7bd930c07-if00-port0:/dev/zigbee

if anywere inside your docker program it asks for the device location you would set it to :
/dev/zigbee

image.png.6b6d9e80a01650299b64da65d2a19359.png

Edited by TRusselo