Disk usage.

Good evening all, just checked the system and found a notification stating utilisation on 1 disk was high, and yes it is, the second drive is empty though.. 

is there an “easy” way to split the data ? 
I have unbalance installed but need to disable stuff to move the data, I thought the unraid system would automatically split data over drives rather than just fill 1 up..

no able to attach info zip atm as I am out.. but will do so if needed.

thanks in advance...

59 minutes ago, fluffybutt said:

Good evening all, just checked the system and found a notification stating utilisation on 1 disk was high, and yes it is, the second drive is empty though.. 

I have unbalance installed but need to disable stuff to move the data, I thought the unraid system would automatically split data over drives rather than just fill 1 up..

thanks in advance...

How Unraid splits data across drives is controlled by the combination of the Allocation Method, Split Level and Minimum Free Space settings for the share.   You might want to read up on how these work and decide if you have the correct settings for the way you want things to work.

4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

How Unraid splits data across drives is controlled by the combination of the Allocation Method, Split Level and Minimum Free Space settings for the share.   You might want to read up on how these work and decide if you have the correct settings for the way you want things to work.

everything was downloaded and left at default settings, highwater is on every folder... 

1 hour ago, fluffybutt said:

I thought it would automatically split evenly across all available drives..

The Split level setting just puts constraints on how related files can be split across drives (the default applies no constraints).   The Allocation Method is the main determiner of how evenly files are spread.

It might be a good idea to post your system diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools >> Diagnostics) attached to your next post so we can get a better idea of how you have things set up.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

The Split level setting just puts constraints on how related files can be split across drives (the default applies no constraints).   The Allocation Method is the main determiner of how evenly files are spread.

It might be a good idea to post your system diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools >> Diagnostics) attached to your next post so we can get a better idea of how you have things set up.

good evening, sorry for the delay, 

have attached..

many thanks.

deathstar-diagnostics-20200512-2013.zip

I see some Most-Free shares and some High-water shares. Is this the way you have always used them, or did you make changes? Which shares are you writing that is continuing to go to disk1? If you have continued to write to your server and/or made changes to any settings since those diagnostics you should post new ones.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:46 PM, trurl said:

Also, how exactly are you copying files to your server?

Erm, have various folders on the system so just drag and drop normally.. I have not changed any of the system settings that I am aware of.. that was the latest system report .. 

15 hours ago, fluffybutt said:

Erm, have various folders on the system so just drag and drop normally

That still leaves out some details. What are you drag and drop from? Windows File Explorer? Another OS instead of Windows? Another application besides File Explorer? We have users that could "drag and drop" using any of these possibilities.

On 5/19/2020 at 10:25 AM, trurl said:

I see some Most-Free shares and some High-water shares.

15 hours ago, fluffybutt said:

I have not changed any of the system settings that I am aware of..

You must have changed something at some point, maybe before those diagnostics, since High-water is default and to get a share set to Most Free you must have set it that way.

On 5/19/2020 at 10:25 AM, trurl said:

Which shares are you writing that is continuing to go to disk1?

12 hours ago, trurl said:

That still leaves out some details. What are you drag and drop from? Windows File Explorer? Another OS instead of Windows? Another application besides File Explorer? We have users that could "drag and drop" using any of these possibilities.

You must have changed something at some point, maybe before those diagnostics, since High-water is default and to get a share set to Most Free you must have set it that way.

Really sorry for the lack of detail, I wasn’t thinking ..

ok main pc is win 10... select files from drive on my pc, drop relevant “type” of file into correct folder on unraid via lan...

I think I may have change the most free option to see if it changed how it distributed the files.

any files that I put on the system continue to stay on the same disk, I’m thinking I have to “physically” put the folder on the other drive to move it ? 

whilst I have no issue in building things pc related hardware wise, sometimes the software manages to screw my head up ... once again sorry for not enough detail in the 1st reply, lack of thought on my part totally .. thanks for helping it is very much appreciated...

• 3 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 2:08 PM, fluffybutt said:

thanks in advance...

Looks like I am in the same boat.  Apparently I made some false assumptions on how the data would be distributed.  First I thought the data would spread across all the drives.  That didn't happen.  Then, I thought when the first drive filled up it would move to the second.  But now I'm getting High Usage Messages.  I'm not so sure my server is configured the way it needs to be.  What did you end up doing to fix the problem?

5 hours ago, clambert said:

Looks like I am in the same boat. 

This is an old thread but nobody else is using it so you can have it now. There are several settings for each user share that control how Unraid chooses which disk to write. Sounds like you must have not used the defaults, which would have (eventually) began using other disks long before filling any.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, trurl said:

This is an old thread but nobody else is using it so you can have it now. There are several settings for each user share that control how Unraid chooses which disk to write. Sounds like you must have not used the defaults, which would have (eventually) began using other disks long before filling any.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

Thanks for the help!

unraid-diagnostics-20200905-1226.zip

I didn't bother to look at your user share settings. I am guessing they are default because the fact that disk1 is so much larger than your other disks is enough to explain what you are seeing.

The default Allocation Method is High-Water. It is the default for a good reason. High-Water is a compromise between using all disks (eventually) without constantly switching between disks just because one disk temporarily has more free space than another.

There is Help in the webUI. You can toggle Help on/off for everything in the webUI by clicking the Help (?) button. You can also toggle Help for a specific setting by clicking on its label.

Go to Shares - User Shares and click on one of your User Shares to get to its Settings page, then click on the Allocation Method label.

Based on the disks you have installed, 12TB disk1 is chosen until it gets to 6TB remaining, then since it still has the most free, it is chosen until it gets to 3TB remaining. Then disk2 will be chosen until it gets to 2TB remaining, and so on.

Currently, disk1 still has some way to go before another disk will be chosen.

You can adjust the Disk Utilization Warning for specific disks by going to Main - Array Devices and clicking on the disk to get to its Settings page.

• Like 1

Awesome. Thank you so much. That's kind of where this all started for me. I was just looking for some way to turn the notification off.  Then, after doing some reading, I tricked myself into thinking there might be an issue with the shares creating themselves on the new drives.  I think I'm good to go.  Many thanks!