Setting new unRaid array - what does it mean equal disks? No disk are equal in space.

Hi,

I have a question about setting unRaid array. It is said in the manual that parity drive must be bigger or equal than data drives. How to do it if i have 4x 2TB drives, but 2TB for one drive it is 60 MB more for other it is 5 MB less and so on. 4x2TB doesn't mean that drives are equal. They are not equal up to one single bit. How unRaid will deal with that? I would like it to create partitions lets say 10 MB smaller than maximum drive capacity for data drives. Or maybe it will do so automatically?

Best Regards,

Kacper

Edited by Kacper

I think you might have misunderstood the statement. Parity is created for disks (i.e. not by partition).

size(parity disk) >= max( size(data disk 1), size(data disk 2), size(data disk 3), etc. )

So you MUST pick whichever 2TB that has the highest capacity (down to the byte) as parity.

The rest of the data drives can be whatever they are (including not being exactly the same as the other 2TB).