[SOLVED] SuperMicro 24 bay Server stopped booting

Neostim

Firstly the hardware:

Supermicro X8DTi motherboard
2 x Xeon E5530 CPU's
32GB Ram
LSI 9650SE-24M8 Drive controller
SAS846TQ Backblane

It's been running fine for 2 years, yesterday I noticed it went down, hooked it up to a monitor and no output. When I power it on, the drives all spin up and fans come on, but no LED's on the system status (other then a consistent blinking green light for the NIC status on the front panel) and no output to the monitor. At first I thought maybe the onboard video output died, but it never comes online network-wise either. 

Any thoughts on where I should start troubleshooting? 

Thanks for any feedback!

8 hours ago, Armed Ferret said:

DId you make any recent changes?  Hardware or in the bios?  I would also remove the dims and try them one at a time...same with the CPUs.  I bet its a memory issue though But if you made a hardware change then revert it. 

Thanks Armed, I didn't make any changes, just noticed it powered down overnight. Good point on testing CPU/Dimms one-by-one, I'll do that today and return with the results.

13 minutes ago, Neostim said:

Success! I took out one of the CPU's and it finally booted, of course I tested everything else under the sun first, but server is now running :)

Thats awesome.  Just remember when you use 1 CPU in a dual board then some of the PCI and memory slots will be unusable.  Your Mobo Manual would tell you which. 

• Like 2
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] SuperMicro 24 bay Server stopped booting
On 5/15/2020 at 10:53 PM, Armed Ferret said:

Thats awesome.  Just remember when you use 1 CPU in a dual board then some of the PCI and memory slots will be unusable.  Your Mobo Manual would tell you which. 

Yeah, I dropped down to half the RAM (16 from 32), haven't spent the time to figure out the slots I need to populate to gain some more yet as it's solely used as a NAS for my newer server, just happy it's online :)

Thanks again.

• Like 1