Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

1 minute ago, dimitriz said:

I normally never have any unassigned devices ... 

However I am currently dealing with this:

So not sure how related this could be at this point.

My suggestion is to remove the UD and UD+ plugins, delete the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/ folder, and then re-install UD and UD+ plugins.

10 hours ago, dimitriz said:

After failed 6.9.2 update and rollback to 6.8.3 I get this:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function parse_file() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(520) : eval()'d code:19 Stack trace: #0 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(520): eval() #1 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/template.php(60): require_once('/usr/local/emht...') #2 {main} thrown in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(520) : eval()'d code on line 19

1340999586_GUIerrors.thumb.PNG.d85f057e9bb8a7f129849fdafeeeaffc.PNG

If I remove Anassigned Devices, the error is gone... but reinstalling it brings it right back.

So JFYI.

Just found something in UD.  Upgrade and see if the issue is resolved.

This plugin drives my crazy...

I have two NVMe's in the system but i can only set the Temp Warnings for just "one" NVMe...

As soon as i set the Temp warning level on one NVMe, the Temp Warning will be deleted on the other NVMe...

The best is, if one warning value is set and i implement the values for the second NVMe, both values are deleted...

Please correct this - thanks a lot 😉👍

EDIT:

It seems there is generaly something wrong with the "SMART Settings" in unraid.

It is not possible to set the SMART settings for one NVMe without deleting the settings that have already been made for a second NVMe. Basically the worm is in there 😉

EDIT2: DONE

Edited by Zonediver

@dlandon 

its enouph to make user script "SMB and NFS Shares auto mount" to mount all shares avalible for automount after unraid and array started by command "/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount autoshares" in script every hour?

or how to do it better way ? 

i mean how is better to check every hour for smb/nfs automounts avalible for mount it ?

if this command enouph how to check if automounts avalible and then mount it ?

2 hours ago, Masterwishx said:

@dlandon 

its enouph to make user script "SMB and NFS Shares auto mount" to mount all shares avalible for automount after unraid and array started by command "/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount autoshares" in script every hour?

or how to do it better way ? 

i mean how is better to check every hour for smb/nfs automounts avalible for mount it ?

if this command enouph how to check if automounts avalible and then mount it ?

Auto mount is meant to start remote shares only when the array is started.  I don't think it is a good idea to try to mount them every hour.  If you unmounted a remote share manually, it would re-mount the next hour.  This is not a good way to do things.  After you set a share to auto mount while the array is started, you should mount it manually.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

After you set a share to auto mount while the array is started, you should mount it manually

but if my smb share for backup unraid on my personal computer ,and i power on it after unraid started so this share is not automouted but i need it for backup. so how to enable this share automaticly. maybe befor backup itself ? 

i made script like this :  but if you say its not good way so how its better ?

MOUNTPOINT="/mnt/remotes/.....xxxx"

if mountpoint -q "$MOUNTPOINT" ; then
    echo "already mounted"

else
    /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount autoshares
    /usr/local/emhttp/webGui/scripts/notify -e "Unraid Server Notice" -s "SMB/NFS automounts mounted" -d "all SMB/NFS mounts set to auto mount are mounted" -i "normal"
 fi    

exit

53 minutes ago, Masterwishx said:

but if my smb share for backup unraid on my personal computer ,and i power on it after unraid started so this share is not automouted but i need it for backup. so how to enable this share automaticly. maybe befor backup itself ? 

i made script like this :  but if you say its not good way so how its better ?

MOUNTPOINT="/mnt/remotes/.....xxxx"

if mountpoint -q "$MOUNTPOINT" ; then
    echo "already mounted"

else
    /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount autoshares
    /usr/local/emhttp/webGui/scripts/notify -e "Unraid Server Notice" -s "SMB/NFS automounts mounted" -d "all SMB/NFS mounts set to auto mount are mounted" -i "normal"
 fi    

exit

This would work fine.

• Thanks 1

I am trying to figure out if I can do something and running in circles.

I currently have about 8 "Unassigned Devices" (all HDDs) in Unraid.  I am looking to set up a Windows VM to run off my cache NVME drive.  I'd like to be able to access the data on the 8 Unassigned Devices within this Windows VM.  Can this happen?

46 minutes ago, Hawkins12 said:

I am trying to figure out if I can do something and running in circles.

I currently have about 8 "Unassigned Devices" (all HDDs) in Unraid.  I am looking to set up a Windows VM to run off my cache NVME drive.  I'd like to be able to access the data on the 8 Unassigned Devices within this Windows VM.  Can this happen?

you can achieve this in 2 ways:

• if the are going to be dedicated to the VM then simply pass them through so they are seen as ‘local’ hard disks inside the VM.   Their contents are then not visible at the Unraid level while the VM is running.
  • access them as network shares - their contents are then also visible at the UnRaid level.
Just now, itimpi said:

you can achieve this in 2 ways:

• if the are going to be dedicated to the VM then simply pass them through so they are seen as ‘local’ hard disks inside the VM.   Their contents are then not visible at the Unraid level while the VM is running.
  • access them as network shares - their contents are then also visible at the UnRaid level.

They will not be dedicated so option 1 is not an option.  

As far as passing them through as network shares, I'll look into this and figure it out.  Thanks for the quick reply.  

22 minutes ago, Hawkins12 said:

I did not know this!!! That makes life 100x easier!!

To set the share name, click on the mount point when the disk is not mounted and change it to whatever you want.  When you mount the disk, this will be the mount point and the share name.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:23 AM, dlandon said:

The latest version of UD maps the remote shares to /mnt/remotes/.  You are encouraged to change your Docker Container and VM mappings to the new mount point.

If you can't do that, go the UD settings and set 'Legacy Mount Point Compatibility?' to 'Yes'.  Then unmount and re-mount the remote shares.  There will be symlinks created at /mnt/disks/ to the remote shares mounted at /mnt/remotes/.  You won't have to change any Docker Container or VM mappings.

Hello, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I did what was suggested but it didn't go as it should have - it wiped both unassigned devices. I lost 20TB of data. All files are gone. I've already said some choice words, paced and made as much peace with it as I possibly can but now, I can't get any docker to write to these 2 drives. They are showing up in /remotes as it was said they would, and permissions are set to write and execute. I even tried new perms but still no luck. These settings are the same on both root folders:

image.png.490a5ff86b5aede1cfb24ae497cf85d1.png
Any idea what I could look at next?

Thanks,

~K

59 minutes ago, Keek Uras said:

Hello, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I did what was suggested but it didn't go as it should have - it wiped both unassigned devices. I lost 20TB of data. All files are gone.

Only remote shares are mounted at /mnt/remotes/.  Did you map your Docker container to /mnt/disks/ or /mnt/remotes/?  Are you referring to local or remote disk drives?

UD mounts devices and doesn't do any reading or writing except to mount the drive.  I don't know how it could wipe out the data on your devices.

I need more information.  Post diagnostics on your next post and let me know which devices have the issue.  Also post a screen shot of UD.

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Only remote shares are mounted at /mnt/remotes/.  Did you map your Docker container to /mnt/disks/ or /mnt/remotes/?  Are you referring to local or remote disk drives?

UD mounts devices and doesn't do any reading or writing except to mount the drive.  I don't know how it could wipe out the data on your devices.

I need more information.  Post diagnostics on your next post and let me know which devices have the issue.  Also post a screen shot of UD.

These 2 drives are connected via USB. I can't map them using /mnt/disks because they are not there, they are in /mnt remotes. 

I was very surprised that the files were gone after I made the change. Krusader shows them to have no files and I've tried three dockers now with mapping to the root folders and nothing is able to write to them. 

Attached are the diagnostics you requested. The 2 drives in question:
image.thumb.png.f69e7ba6bea653fe3496d97e7c50d6fe.png

Let me know if I can provide anything else that would be of use. Thank you for your assistance.

~K

repository-diagnostics-20210620-1447.zip

9 minutes ago, Keek Uras said:

Let me know if I can provide anything else that would be of use. Thank you for your assistance.

It looks like you might have had the disks set as Passed Through:

Jun 20 11:32:47 REPOSITORY unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'easystore_25FB_38434A5744453645', mountpoint 'Deluge' is set as passed through.
Jun 20 11:32:47 REPOSITORY unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'EFRX-68L0BN1_1', mountpoint 'Deluge2' is set as passed through.

You can't have a disk mounted with UD and have a docker container also mount it.  Disk corruption will occur.

You can access the disks with a docker container in one of two ways.

• Mount with UD and access it at /mnt/disks/.  Don't mount it in the docker container.
  • Set as Passed Through in UD and mount it in the docker container.  Don't mount it in UD.  It will not be available at /mnt/disks/.  The mount point will be local in the docker container.

1 minute ago, dlandon said:

Jun 20 11:32:47 REPOSITORY unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'easystore_25FB_38434A5744453645', mountpoint 'Deluge' is set as passed through.
Jun 20 11:32:47 REPOSITORY unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'EFRX-68L0BN1_1', mountpoint 'Deluge2' is set as passed through.

You can't have a disk mounted with UD and have a docker container also mount it.  Disk corruption will occur.

• Mount with UD and access it at /mnt/disks/.  Don't mount it in the docker container.
  • Set as Passed Through in UD and mount it in the docker container.  Don't mount it in UD.  It will not be available at /mnt/disks/.  The mount point will be local in the docker container.

I will take a look and see what I can do based on your advice. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Ok, just tried setting up Transmission again, which is what I was using and I still can't save files to the UD drives. When I try, this is what I get:

image.png.4c7aee6ad42197d7315f8baf3b8ed232.png

Here are all the settings:

image.thumb.png.2d8c2529a76f01652f6f9eb5b2175028.png

image.thumb.png.4c4a2437785e27c19ed7fa48cb640fea.png

Both are set to r/w slave. Any other thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Keek Uras said:

Both are set to r/w slave. Any other thoughts?

Did you have the disks mounted with UD and the docker container at the same time?  If so, the disk may be corrupted and need to re-formatted.

Check the disk in the docker container and see what it shows.  You can use the Linux 'df' command in a cli.

50 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Did you have the disks mounted with UD and the docker container at the same time?  If so, the disk may be corrupted and need to re-formatted.

Check the disk in the docker container and see what it shows.  You can use the Linux 'df' command in a cli.

I did earlier, so maybe that is the issue. However, running the df command in the transmission docker doesn't seem to show disks, this is the output:

root@607410ce97a0:/# df
Filesystem       1K-blocks        Used  Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop2       157286400    10909712  145279904   7% /
tmpfs                65536           0      65536   0% /dev
tmpfs             16379588           0   16379588   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
shm                  65536           0      65536   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                 1024           0       1024   0% /downloads
shfs           70308515144 66910238988 3398276156  96% /watch
/dev/loop2       157286400    10909712  145279904   7% /etc/hosts
root@607410ce97a0:/# 

I can't seem to figure out how to format the UD disks. I did read about enabling destructive mode but that's it.