Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

4 minutes ago, Keek Uras said:

I did earlier, so maybe that is the issue. However, running the df command in the transmission docker doesn't seem to show disks, this is the output:

root@607410ce97a0:/# df
Filesystem       1K-blocks        Used  Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop2       157286400    10909712  145279904   7% /
tmpfs                65536           0      65536   0% /dev
tmpfs             16379588           0   16379588   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
shm                  65536           0      65536   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                 1024           0       1024   0% /downloads
shfs           70308515144 66910238988 3398276156  96% /watch
/dev/loop2       157286400    10909712  145279904   7% /etc/hosts
root@607410ce97a0:/# 

I can't seem to figure out how to format the UD disks. I did read about enabling destructive mode but that's it.

Those disks don't seem to be mounted in your docker container.

41 minutes ago, Keek Uras said:

They are specified in the docker config. Do I not use /mnt/remotes? That's the only place they are listed:

No.  UD mounts them at /mnt/disks/ and not /mnt/remotes.  You should not map the docker container to /mnt/remotes/.

Based on what you are saying, your best bet is to mount the disks with UD and then map them to your docker container at /mnt/disks/.  Don't mount them in the docker container.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

No.  UD mounts them at /mnt/disks/ and not /mnt/remotes.  You should not map the docker container to /mnt/remotes/.

Based on what you are saying, your best bet is to mount the disks with UD and then map them to your docker container at /mnt/disks/.  Don't mount them in the docker container.

Hmm. I've never mounted a drive from within a docker, always in the docker config of unRAID.

Still no luck. Changed it back to that way and now one of my drives won't mount. I removed both UD plugins and reinstalled. I'm going to bounce and hopefully that's all it needs. 

1 minute ago, Keek Uras said:

Hmm. I've never mounted a drive from within a docker, always in the docker config of unRAID.

Still no luck. Changed it back to that way and now one of my drives won't mount. I removed both UD plugins and reinstalled. I'm going to bounce and hopefully that's all it needs. 

That didn't work either. I'm going to give up for the night. Thanks for trying to help with this!

Ok, I couldn't leave well enough alone 😁 I did some research and looked at logs and found that there was an error with the one drive that wouldn't mount, it suggested to run xfs_repair. I ran that on both drives, recreated their mount points and now they are in /mnt/disks as expected and working. Thanks again for the help!

~K

5 minutes ago, Keek Uras said:

Ok, I couldn't leave well enough alone 😁 I did some research and looked at logs and found that there was an error with the one drive that wouldn't mount, it suggested to run xfs_repair. I ran that on both drives, recreated their mount points and now they are in /mnt/disks as expected and working. Thanks again for the help!

~K

Glad you got it going.

how do you disable  Automount , Auto Share  of unassigned devices???

no matter what you change in the Gear Setting,  if you toggle on off Auto Share Auto mount

it still tells you YES  when you hover the mouse  over the gear..      if i do the Pass Through  that works Toggling Yes to No or No to Yes

but seems to be a bug  that no matter what you do Auto mount Auto Share  stays on YES even when i set to no

is there something i can do

1 hour ago, comet424 said:

how do you disable  Automount , Auto Share  of unassigned devices???

no matter what you change in the Gear Setting,  if you toggle on off Auto Share Auto mount

it still tells you YES  when you hover the mouse  over the gear..      if i do the Pass Through  that works Toggling Yes to No or No to Yes

but seems to be a bug  that no matter what you do Auto mount Auto Share  stays on YES even when i set to no

is there something i can do

I'm not seeing it.  Have you updated to the latest version of UD?

2 hours ago, comet424 said:

all plugins and dockers update every night

running 2021.06.11 

you can see i set the Read Only on   but the other 2 are on when should be off

i even did the default script that doesnt help either

I suspect you have a corruption in the config file.  The disk appears to be a USB disk.  Unplug it and you will then see it in the Historical devices.  Delete it in the historical devices and then plug it back in and see if it fixes the switches.

On 6/14/2021 at 7:21 AM, dlandon said:

Auto mount is meant to start remote shares only when the array is started.  I don't think it is a good idea to try to mount them every hour.  If you unmounted a remote share manually, it would re-mount the next hour.  This is not a good way to do things.  After you set a share to auto mount while the array is started, you should mount it manually.

Thanks!

Just saw your reply.

Still stuck at 6.8.3 for unknown upgrade reason.

Updated UD, and it's working properly now.

didnt work

so i shut off the usb drive. deleted the historical file..  before that i looked in it..  only thing that was set was Read Only

but i deleted it.   turned on my usb enclosure..  and both still set to yes  Auto Mount Auto Share..

it still shows when you Hover over the Gear those 2 are YES..  but when you actually click the gear

everything is toggled OFF

Edited by comet424
1 hour ago, comet424 said:

Its a windows disk  so i dunno if that matters?..   i did check each gear   if you mouse over its YES

but if you actually click each gear its OFF

Your disks have 5 partitions on them.  That might be the issue.  I'll have to try to reproduce that situation.

ah ok ya its like Windows Install and it created the partitions that way for windows 10 install.  

but ya  i even tried a reboot of unraid didnt help  still automounts and still auto shares

even when you double check  shares are off for each partition  and you do a reboot of unraid.. i figured maybe thats the issue  and rebooted but it didnt help either..

i figured maybe its a Windows 10 thing that causes it

8 hours ago, comet424 said:

ah ok ya its like Windows Install and it created the partitions that way for windows 10 install.  

but ya  i even tried a reboot of unraid didnt help  still automounts and still auto shares

even when you double check  shares are off for each partition  and you do a reboot of unraid.. i figured maybe thats the issue  and rebooted but it didnt help either..

i figured maybe its a Windows 10 thing that causes it

Post your diagnostics.

Just found it. There is a setting in UD to automount USB devices automatically regardless of the the device "Automount".  Go to the UD settings and set 'Auto Mount USB Devices?' to 'No' and the devices won't be automounted.

Edited by dlandon
3 minutes ago, comet424 said:

@dlandon ok thanks that fixed it..  I didnt even notice there were settings .. i just thought it was a plugin like the some others... there are no settings to change its just a plugin and you just accept it..  

but it works  thats great as i thought i was going crazy..  least its work  to not share 

I've made a few changes to make this easier to deal with.

@dlandon ah ok.. ya even though i been using unriad since 2018-2019 around then when  i first learned it.. and and follow the spaceinvader videos.. i still dont remember half of things on unraid.. still used to windows  gave up on linux back in 1999-2000 when i got frustrated with red hat and said screw it windows it is lol..

i appreciate the plugins people make.. i just not fluent 

i guess also  since you say you write it.. if there is a little *Note*    these 2 toggle switchs dont work if the UD  toggle switch in settings is set on.. check that..

i used to plugins that arent clickable.. or i find there is an issue with a Pluggin  but they all goto 1 page.. and i never get an answer i guess its cuz the 1 guy writes like 20 plugins and it all just goes to the 1 page.. so that gets frustrating

but still always learning 🙂

getting an weird error when ever i try to do any operations on my USB Drive i have attached 

Windows gives this 

image.png.5af855f738ab29634b8fe4c197d610f4.png

And any file operations (aka copy to this drive) Dosnt do squat 

I can access it though and access files 

if i plug directly in to pc it works

filesystem is extfat and its a USB HDD  

Any idea's 

7 hours ago, zero80472 said:

getting an weird error when ever i try to do any operations on my USB Drive i have attached 

Windows gives this 

image.png.5af855f738ab29634b8fe4c197d610f4.png

And any file operations (aka copy to this drive) Dosnt do squat 

I can access it though and access files 

if i plug directly in to pc it works

filesystem is extfat and its a USB HDD  

Any idea's 

Post diagnostics.

This is all I see:

Jun 24 19:06:44 Kyles-Lab unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t exfat -o rw,auto,async,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000 '/dev/sda1' '/mnt/disks/WD_Elements_SE_25FE'
Jun 24 19:06:45 Kyles-Lab mount.exfat: volume was not unmounted cleanly

@dlandon if i have smb share in unraid mounted from my main comp for backup unraid, and lets say i have my main comp offline or shutdown . 

the share in unraid still shows as mounted but nothing is mounted and i cant unmount my remote share by command?

or what kind of instuction for it?

(i mean if smb remote share in unraid is disconnected or goes offline)

Edited by Masterwishx