Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

1 hour ago, theangelofspace15 said:

I have a nvme that was use as a slog for my zpool. i got the notification for the update so I went ahead and updated and reboted the server. after the reboot, the nvme is not detected anymore causing my zpool to be degrated. 

There were no UD changes that would affect that.  Look in your syslog to see if there are any issues with that drive.

Hi there, I could not find the answer, sorry if duplicate.

I am using Orico 5-Bay external disk enclosure and all disks in this extender are meant to be UD devices (not pooled devices). This is a USB3 device.

It works fine as long as only a single bay is used with disk mounted. When I add the second drive, I cannot have a separate mount point and when I change partition name of any drive, all partitions on all drives within the enclosure receive the new partition name.

It appeared that this was due to duplicate UUID, so I tried to change it via UD settings but I received

Jul 13 06:10:37 pumbaa kernel: XFS (sdai1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID d97712e4-9e51-46b8-a133-f6ea96642d18 - can't mount
Jul 13 06:10:37 pumbaa unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdai1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/cctv: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdai1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. '
Jul 13 06:10:37 pumbaa unassigned.devices: Partition 'cctv' cannot be mounted.
Jul 13 06:09:33 pumbaa unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/xfs_admin -U generate /dev/sdb1) took longer than 10s!
Jul 13 06:09:33 pumbaa unassigned.devices: Changing disk '/dev/sdb' UUID. Result: command timed out

I uninstalled and reinstalled UD. With any single drive, everything works ok but with a second drive everything gets goofy.

Thoughts?

Details

Unraid 6.9.1

UD Version 2021.07.08

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

It sounds as if that enclosure is not passing the drive Serial type information through to UnRaid.   Some USB enclosures do not play well with Unraid :( 

How can I confirm? I can see the serial number and model numbers when I click on the disk link.

lsblk also shows them as different devs and diff partitions and even when both are mounted the partitions are mounted at /dev/sbd1 and the other is /dev/sdx1. 

7 hours ago, srfnmnk said:

How can I confirm? I can see the serial number and model numbers when I click on the disk link.

lsblk also shows them as different devs and diff partitions and even when both are mounted the partitions are mounted at /dev/sbd1 and the other is /dev/sdx1. 

UD tracks individual disks by the disk serial number.  Each disk has to have a unique serial number.  Your drive enclosure is probably presenting the complete enclosure with one serial number for all the drives.  It doesn't matter that the drives have different sdX designations.  UD doesn't track devices by the sdX designation, because they can change at each reboot.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

UD tracks individual disks by the disk serial number.  Each disk has to have a unique serial number.  Your drive enclosure is probably presenting the complete enclosure with one serial number for all the drives.  It doesn't matter that the drives have different sdX designations.  UD doesn't track devices by the sdX designation, because they can change at each reboot.

Thanks, I recorded a little 2m video so you could see what's happening.  I click on the dev to see the disk details and I am seeing the correct serial numbers. See images attached. Just trying to be 100% sure that the enclosure won't work before I go and exchange it because I had another version of this exact same brand and it's been working for years.

One last note, I did have one of the disks shared in the previous enclosure and I do have a docker that references the cctv mount point...wondering if there's something cached somewhere that is messing up UD.

ud_dev1.png

ud_dev2.png

18 hours ago, dlandon said:

The serial numbers for both drives are the same.  UD has to have unique serial numbers:

390665122_DuplicateSerialnumbers.png.264bded3c33803836f70ce8f1ca84a11.png

It doesn't matter that the sdX designations are different.

I see that the device is appearing multiple times but why is UD not capable of grabbing the disk metadata. When I click on the dev, you can see from my screenshots that the disk metadata is available. Not trying to be complicated just curious as to why if Unraid is able to see the Serial Numbers, UD cannot? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

6 hours ago, srfnmnk said:

I see that the device is appearing multiple times but why is UD not capable of grabbing the disk metadata. When I click on the dev, you can see from my screenshots that the disk metadata is available. Not trying to be complicated just curious as to why if Unraid is able to see the Serial Numbers, UD cannot? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

UD uses the /dev/disk/by-id/ folder to find disks.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

UD uses the /dev/disk/by-id/ folder to find disks.

Gotcha, thanks for that. I took a look and did notice a subtle difference between the two disks showing up. Perhaps some logic can be added to UD to enable more devices?

This is what shows up for the USB enclosure

root@pumbaa:/dev/disk/by-id# ls | grep USB
usb-External_USB3.0_0000007788FC-0:0@
usb-External_USB3.0_0000007788FC-0:0-part1@
usb-External_USB3.0_0000007788FC-0:1@
usb-External_USB3.0_0000007788FC-0:1-part1@

I'm not sure if there's any other way to identify the disks other than by-id but just thought I'd share what I found in case there's an opportunity here. For now, I suppose I will return this enclosure and try another one.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Hi !

I'm getting an error while trying to mount my backup usb drive :

Jul 16 14:10:27 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdg1'...
Jul 16 14:10:27 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t btrfs -o rw,auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdg1' '/mnt/disks/WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WCAZA1101549'
Jul 16 14:10:27 Tower kernel: BTRFS warning (device <unknown>): duplicate device /dev/sdg1 devid 1 generation 2163 scanned by mount (22942)
Jul 16 14:10:27 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdg1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WCAZA1101549: mount(2) system call failed: File exists. '

It was working fine last week using automount. 

Any idea ?

On 7/15/2021 at 1:39 PM, srfnmnk said:

Gotcha, thanks for that. I took a look and did notice a subtle difference between the two disks showing up. Perhaps some logic can be added to UD to enable more devices?

This is what shows up for the USB enclosure

root@pumbaa:/dev/disk/by-id# ls | grep USB
usb-External_USB3.0_0000007788FC-0:0@
usb-External_USB3.0_0000007788FC-0:0-part1@
usb-External_USB3.0_0000007788FC-0:1@
usb-External_USB3.0_0000007788FC-0:1-part1@

I'm not sure if there's any other way to identify the disks other than by-id but just thought I'd share what I found in case there's an opportunity here. For now, I suppose I will return this enclosure and try another one.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Just closing this out.

I have confirmed that the enclosure is unable to capture the device ID. The ORICO enclosures are not compatible with UD, they send through a single deviceID to UD

I replaced the enclosure with a Sabrent USB 3.2 4-Bay 3.5 and it works great. It's keeping the drives down at 85F degrees whereas the other enclosure wasn't compatible with UD and the drive temperature were around 110F consistently. So I'd highly recommend this little Sabrent enclosure if you need one for UD.

In the last few days, I've noticed drive three is expanded and a lightning is shown next to one of my drives in Unassigned Devices. I don't seem to be able to find any real info about why this is, except it's to execute a script. However, when I do, I get the prompt it's completed, but the lightning doesn't go away.

Any ideas?

image.png.b9ba0a444fd386ec666f1d2f8211e6ac.png

image.png.289ffe5d7b238beabbf427f110b9ebf7.png

image.png.46202ab58e598f1b400335510925374c.png

14 hours ago, PeterDB said:

In the last few days, I've noticed drive three is expanded and a lightning is shown next to one of my drives in Unassigned Devices. I don't seem to be able to find any real info about why this is, except it's to execute a script. However, when I do, I get the prompt it's completed, but the lightning doesn't go away.

Any ideas?

image.png.b9ba0a444fd386ec666f1d2f8211e6ac.png

image.png.289ffe5d7b238beabbf427f110b9ebf7.png

image.png.46202ab58e598f1b400335510925374c.png

You can set up a script to run when the drive is installed by clicking on the three gears icon.  The lightning icon runs that script just like the drive was first plugged in.

On 7/24/2021 at 1:03 PM, dlandon said:

You can set up a script to run when the drive is installed by clicking on the three gears icon.  The lightning icon runs that script just like the drive was first plugged in.

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I don't think that the issue here, as there is no script set to run and the option to collapse the tree is greyed out. It's like unassigned devices is "asking me" to run the script, while there shouldn't be a reason for it.

1 hour ago, PeterDB said:

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I don't think that the issue here, as there is no script set to run and the option to collapse the tree is greyed out. It's like unassigned devices is "asking me" to run the script, while there shouldn't be a reason for it.

You see the partition information because that is the default when a new device is installed.  The lightning icon is there so you can test your device script.  It is not meant to imply that you have to click that icon.  You'll also find that the mount point can be clicked to browse the device when it is mounted.

Click on the three gears icon under the 'Settings' column and turn off the 'Show Partitions' switch.  That will collapse the partition.

Hi Guys,

Not sure it's a bug, but just updated from 6.8.3 to 6.9.2

Was advised to post it here to let you (dlandon) know.

1st thing I noticed which was OK but now isn't quite working is on the "Main" tab.

Under the SMB / NFS / ISO  shares section, the orange buttons labelled "Add Remote NFS/SMB share" and "Add ISO File Share" had disappeared & a debug line was displayed instead.

So I deleted my two NFS shares & the buttons re-appeared.

But if I add a NFS share back again, the "add" buttons disappear and I get this line of debug instead:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function _() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/Helpers.php:35 Stack trace: #0 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php(387): my_scale(0, NULL) #1 {main} thrown in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/Helpers.php on line 35

The share process works exactly as expected & the share is certainly working AOK.

However, I can't now add a 2nd share because the buttons have disappeared.

Suggestions welcome on how to debug further to get you the info you need.

Thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, salvdordalisdad said:

Hi Guys,

Not sure it's a bug, but just updated from 6.8.3 to 6.9.2

Was advised to post it here to let you (dlandon) know.

1st thing I noticed which was OK but now isn't quite working is on the "Main" tab.

Under the SMB / NFS / ISO  shares section, the orange buttons labelled "Add Remote NFS/SMB share" and "Add ISO File Share" had disappeared & a debug line was displayed instead.

So I deleted my two NFS shares & the buttons re-appeared.

But if I add a NFS share back again, the "add" buttons disappear and I get this line of debug instead:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function _() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/Helpers.php:35 Stack trace: #0 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php(387): my_scale(0, NULL) #1 {main} thrown in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/Helpers.php on line 35

The share process works exactly as expected & the share is certainly working AOK.

However, I can't now add a 2nd share because the buttons have disappeared.

Suggestions welcome on how to debug further to get you the info you need.

Thanks in advance.

Is UD the latest version?

Hello, 

I can't move/copy files in one specific folder from my mounted HDD in UD when using smb, looking at the log it gives:

ntfs_attr_pread error reading <FILENAME> at offset 0: 4096 <> -1: Permission denied

xxxx smbd[67867]: smb2_sendfile_send_data: sendfile failed for file <FILENAME> (Permission denied) for client [IP] Terminating

I have not made any changes on the server or any network configs.

Q - Any easy way to change permission on the HDD for the files?

Q - Other solutions?

EDIT - It's a big .zip file and I have tried turning of Norton temporary since windows tells me "error 0x8007003B" An unexpected network error occurred.

Edited by Digiboy

Having an issue w/ partitions on separate unassigned devices

In my case, all of the drives are mapped as logical volumes of raid 0 to the physical drive (DL360 G6) to be seen by Unraid.

TmvhIqv.png5NNLHYl.png

wXl2Jr9.png

It appears as the disk/by-id has distinct listings for the drives but the partitions always point to the /sde

2PGawYQ.png

Q: What is my route to having the two drives have their own partition / partition names

Edited by origon