Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

1 minute ago, Karyudo said:

"In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot into Windows twice."

Sooo... it can't be dealt with using UD or even while attached to my unRAID machine, and I need to connect it to a Windows machine instead?

You need to update UD to the latest version.

Then try clicking on the check mark next to the partition and see if UD can repair it, but it looks more like a cable or controller problem to me.

I've got the 2021-08-05 version of UD, which is marked as "up to date," and I do see the check mark, so I think I'm good to go.

I have spare cables and SATA ports on a different controller... if you think it looks more like either or both of those things is a possible issue, I assume I should try switching those things up first, before I do any chkdsk /f stuff?

8 hours ago, glave said:

Is there a way to monitor disk space on an unassigned device? I've had a few instances where they fill up and I discover it because some process has stopped working in a docker due to full disk.

Put your drive in the Pool and Unraid will monitor disk utilization.

12 hours ago, glave said:

Is there a way to monitor disk space on an unassigned device? I've had a few instances where they fill up and I discover it because some process has stopped working in a docker due to full disk.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

Put your drive in the Pool and Unraid will monitor disk utilization.

^This.

If you are on Unraid 6.9+ and you have any disks that are permanently installed, instead of using them as Unassigned, better to put them in a pool. Then they can be part of User Shares and you get all the Settings for User Shares and Disks that Unraid provides to manage their use.

1 hour ago, Karyudo said:

SMART test results

Model Family:     Western Digital Red
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR-K   200   200   051    -    3646
197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--CK   200   200   000    -    5
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   ---R--   200   200   000    -    1
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%     37371         6547844

You should monitor attributes 1 and 200 on WD disks.

That disk has failed.

hello there.

i have some major issues with my external usb 3.2 gen 2 to nvme disk.

https://www.orico.me/product/nvme-m-2-ssd-enclosure-10gbps-tcm2-c3/

connected to the server as standalone unassigned device or as a part of the cache pool stops the server from clean reboot/shutdown.

using gui mode and rebooting first the reboot splash screen appears counting time until localhost is losing the connecting and reboot starting to initialise and then nothing happens.

i can still access the terminal window using command "shutdown -t 5 now" forces the server to action but only until its trying to allocate the unraid usb flash drive and then nothing forceing me to hard reset the server everytime.

362458365_16291932476352.thumb.jpg.cfcb7dac42050c98116742bfaf4405d1.jpg

1919628380_16291932476642.thumb.jpg.0e2cd825862e15b45ecf7e891dbe7f65.jpg

615605516_16291932476592.thumb.jpg.7531a8f2b6c83b55d5b31adde18050c6.jpg

putting the external disk on a usb controller and then passtrough to a win10 vm, reboot server works, as long as unraid is not using the external disk as cache or unassigned device 

i tried with a different external drive enclosure using the Realtek rtl9210

https://www.orico.cc/us/product/detail/7214.html

same issues.

pls see att diag. #1

happened again today when trying to reboot server remotely diag#2

galactica-diagnostics-20210813-0907.zip galactica-diagnostics-20210817-0838.zip

Edited by TIE Fighter

Hi,

I am trying to mount a remote SMB share from a Raspberry Pi from within Unraid. However, it won't mount.

I can mount and browse the SMB share from my Mac so I do not believe the SMB share settings on the Raspberry Pi are the issue. 

When using the remote SMB share wizard, it finds the server, the username and password seem to work, I do not believe I am on a domain so leave blank, however when clicking load shares it does not find the SMB shared folder. 

Any ideas?

On 8/17/2021 at 5:57 PM, trurl said:

USB may disconnect and so is not recommended for array or pool.

understand it is not recommended but as described i tried different ways but the whole server just ends in a state where it is not responding at all for reboot or shutdown commands.

maybe it is a plugin or unraid limit thus why the diags attached for the creater or someone to pinpoin the cause. 

i am more than happy for a reply regarding root cause

unassigned devices is not mounting anymore. NEED HELP.

I had used unassigned devices to mount a 4tb drive with 2 partitions 1 for appdata (400gb) and the other for steam library. 

recently, I had moved my steam library over to another drive and wanted to delete that partition so, I unmounted, and deleted the partition but now, the appdata partition will not mount and is just greyed out. 

the partitions were in xfs FS.

image.thumb.png.6a470c0a4763cc260192cab103d00822.png

Edited by annoor123

Ran into an issue today where I had a Synology share mounted under UD.  I had manually shutdown the Synology, but forgot to unmount the shares from Unraid first.  UD would not allow me to unmount the share until I turned the Synology back on.  Additionally, got impatient and decided to just reboot the server.  However, a graceful shutdown and reboot was blocked by that unmount. Turning the Synology back on finally allows the server to reboot. Weird stuff.

Edited by noja
1 hour ago, annoor123 said:

unassigned devices is not mounting anymore. NEED HELP.

I had used unassigned devices to mount a 4tb drive with 2 partitions 1 for appdata (400gb) and the other for steam library. 

recently, I had moved my steam library over to another drive and wanted to delete that partition so, I unmounted, and deleted the partition but now, the appdata partition will not mount and is just greyed out. 

the partitions were in xfs FS.

image.thumb.png.6a470c0a4763cc260192cab103d00822.png

That partition doesn't show as having a file system.  Post diagnostics.

Wondering if anyone has any issues since the lattest patchs?

I was having an issue today with one of my devices getting

Aug 23 22:15:32 GLaDOS kernel: XFS (sdk1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID e293ea44-a2ff-4b83-acef-4bf675ed547c - can't mount
Aug 23 22:15:32 GLaDOS unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdk1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/z1TB: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdk1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. '
Aug 23 22:15:32 GLaDOS unassigned.devices: Partition 'z1TB' cannot be mounted.
Aug 23 22:15:32 GLaDOS unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdk'.
Aug 23 22:15:39 GLaDOS unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdk1'...
Aug 23 22:15:39 GLaDOS unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdk1' '/mnt/disks/z1TB'

I saw there was an update and it had the 'Spin Down Timer' as a release note, so installed now I get the following error,

Aug 23 22:30:56 GLaDOS kernel: XFS (sdk1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID e293ea44-a2ff-4b83-acef-4bf675ed547c - can't mount
Aug 23 22:30:56 GLaDOS unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdk1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/z1TB: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdk1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. '
Aug 23 22:30:56 GLaDOS unassigned.devices: Partition 'z1TB' cannot be mounted.

Not sure if the drive is having issues or something patch related, drve shows 'Error' on smart but no data. Unit was working this morning  but then stopped  and could not open the share

image.thumb.png.146d32cbbaad42ec23ff8e58634e94b5.png