Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

I've got an issue with a hotswap drive that I've mounted to my unraid.

I want to back up some file to a cold storage drive. I formatted the drive as exfat in windows and can mount it in unraid and copy files to it over the smb share. 

However, I want to use mc to copy files on the fileserver itself.

The problem is the folders are all owned by root, so I cant copy files to it. 

The error I get is:

Cannot chown target directory /mnt/disks/sharename
Operation not permitted (1)

I can cp files with the command line. Just think its weird that mc can't do it.

Edited by AlexHackney

The plugin install script for some reason doesn't seem to write to `/boot/config/smb-extra.conf`. At first I thought it was because that file didn't exist for me, and `add-smb-extra` appends to it, but even after touching that file and reinstalling the plugin, it never gets written to. I just ended up running `/tmp/unassigned-devices/add-smb-extra` manually. Not sure what the reason behind this is, although I'm curious why the `add-smb-extra` script is invoked through `at` with a time of now...

On 9/9/2021 at 10:19 PM, bavism said:

The plugin install script for some reason doesn't seem to write to `/boot/config/smb-extra.conf`. At first I thought it was because that file didn't exist for me, and `add-smb-extra` appends to it, but even after touching that file and reinstalling the plugin, it never gets written to. I just ended up running `/tmp/unassigned-devices/add-smb-extra` manually. Not sure what the reason behind this is, although I'm curious why the `add-smb-extra` script is invoked through `at` with a time of now...

Working fine for me on plugin installation.

The 'at' was used because if it is not the plugin install will not show the 'Done' button.  Just a little fluke in the plugin install.

On 9/7/2021 at 5:03 AM, doubley said:

Ha, yep, that did it. Just curious - why the change? 

I've made a few security changes and the '#' character is a problem.  When the '#' and '&' character along with a few others like single and double quotes are used in the mount point, they are converted to underscore.

UD is written in php and there are some reserved and inappropriate characters that cannot be used in variables.

• Like 1

Hello, I'm trying to mount a remote SMB share but it won't mount.  I've seen some people saying to use the IP address vs the hostname, but I don't even see where that can be edited.

From the system log:

Sep 12 06:16:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//DIETPI/sda2' using SMB default protocol.
Sep 12 06:16:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t 'cifs' -o rw,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_sda2' '//DIETPI/sda2' '/mnt/remotes/DIETPI_sda2'
Sep 12 06:16:54 Tower kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount //DIETPI/sda2
Sep 12 06:16:54 Tower kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Sep 12 06:16:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '//DIETPI/sda2' failed: 'mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg) '.

I have verified that the mount point exists and I made the DIETPI_sda2 folder myself and ensure it was 777 just like the unassigned device folders in the disks mount point.

root@Tower:/mnt/remotes# ls -la
total 0
drwxrwxrwt  3 nobody users  60 Sep 12 22:16 ./
drwxr-xr-x 26 root   root  520 Sep 11 12:41 ../
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root   40 Sep 12 22:16 DIETPI_sda2/
root@Tower:/mnt/remotes#

I am running unRaid 6.9.2 and UD 2021.08.28 

3 minutes ago, nerbonne said:

Hello, I'm trying to mount a remote SMB share but it won't mount.  I've seen some people saying to use the IP address vs the hostname, but I don't even see where that can be edited.

From the system log:

Sep 12 06:16:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//DIETPI/sda2' using SMB default protocol.
Sep 12 06:16:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t 'cifs' -o rw,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_sda2' '//DIETPI/sda2' '/mnt/remotes/DIETPI_sda2'
Sep 12 06:16:54 Tower kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount //DIETPI/sda2
Sep 12 06:16:54 Tower kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Sep 12 06:16:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '//DIETPI/sda2' failed: 'mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg) '.

I have verified that the mount point exists and I made the DIETPI_sda2 folder myself and ensure it was 777 just like the unassigned device folders in the disks mount point.

root@Tower:/mnt/remotes# ls -la
total 0
drwxrwxrwt  3 nobody users  60 Sep 12 22:16 ./
drwxr-xr-x 26 root   root  520 Sep 11 12:41 ../
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root   40 Sep 12 22:16 DIETPI_sda2/
root@Tower:/mnt/remotes#

I am running unRaid 6.9.2 and UD 2021.08.28 

That looks like a credentials issue.  Be sure not to use special characters like '#', '?', '!', or quotes.

You enter the IP address where you choose the server.  Just type it in and don't click the search for servers button.

23 hours ago, dlandon said:

That looks like a credentials issue.  Be sure not to use special characters like '#', '?', '!', or quotes.

You enter the IP address where you choose the server.  Just type it in and don't click the search for servers button.

it was, in fact, an incorrect username.  for some reason i used a different username for the samba share than the ssh user.  anyways, all sorted and thank you.  also i was able to use the IP address.

[Feature request] Add encrypted icon when the HDD is encrypted

Hello, this is not priority, but I noticed that my Unassigned device hdd doesn't show the encrypted icon, like the ones in my array.

I know this is not a bug or anything, just cosmetics, but wanted to let you know to see if in the future can be added.

image.png.afb485392cded7adf2f0698bb328fe03.png

21 minutes ago, hrv231 said:

[Feature request] Add encrypted icon when the HDD is encrypted

Hello, this is not priority, but I noticed that my Unassigned device hdd doesn't show the encrypted icon, like the ones in my array.

I know this is not a bug or anything, just cosmetics, but wanted to let you know to see if in the future can be added.

image.png.afb485392cded7adf2f0698bb328fe03.png

Already There:

181364893_EncryptedIcon.png.bbeb71ad446d97513a773fe2501dd654.png