Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

On 9/8/2021 at 8:27 PM, dlandon said:

UD has to have a unique serial number for each device.  Some external drive bays don't present the unique disk drive serial numbers that UD needs.

Is there a recommended model list somewhere that we can refer to for docks/enclosures?  Or perhaps could you recommend a model? I would like to get a dual-bay toaster style one with USB.  If it had USB + esata then that would be even better.

I'm seeing the following error any idea what is that mean. I have the latest version of the plugin and unraid 6.9.2.

I uninstalled, reboot, re-installed it but same error.

Warning: syntax error, unexpected END_OF_LINE in Unknown on line 53 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 1834 

Edited by dianasta
On 9/8/2021 at 8:27 PM, dlandon said:

UD has to have a unique serial number for each device.  Some external drive bays don't present the unique disk drive serial numbers that UD needs.

On 9/15/2021 at 1:01 PM, misterbeetz said:

Is there a recommended model list somewhere that we can refer to for docks/enclosures?  Or perhaps could you recommend a model? I would like to get a dual-bay toaster style one with USB.  If it had USB + esata then that would be even better.

I am going to put this out out there for posterity for any folks who have a similar question.  I ended up buying two different docks however only one of them present the serial number of the drive.  Thanks to a tip from SpaceInvaderOne in one of his videos I can confirm that the Sabrent EC-DSK2 seems to do the job properly:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07415KV63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately prior to that I was unaware of this serial number issue and ended up buying a unit that does not properly present HD serial numbers. This one happens to be the StarTech SDOCK2U33EB:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KILQOG0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My only gripe is that the Sabrent does not also have eSata capability however I guess I can live without that.  Hopefully this information may be of some use to others in the future.

Hello, I have the most updated version of Unassigned Devices and I am currently on 6.9.10-rc1. I noticed (the upgrade of the plugin and unraid happened around the same time for me) that its not exporting the share. I cannot see the share on my windows machine anymore. It is just gone. It is still indeed accessable by unraid and shows up under 'disks' in krusader. All my applications that use it still work. I'm just not able to access the share on my PC. Is there a bug? I have made sure that NTFSv3 is still selected. Any help would be awesome.

40 minutes ago, neruve said:

Hello, I have the most updated version of Unassigned Devices and I am currently on 6.9.10-rc1. I noticed (the upgrade of the plugin and unraid happened around the same time for me) that its not exporting the share. I cannot see the share on my windows machine anymore. It is just gone. It is still indeed accessable by unraid and shows up under 'disks' in krusader. All my applications that use it still work. I'm just not able to access the share on my PC. Is there a bug? I have made sure that NTFSv3 is still selected. Any help would be awesome.

You are mounting a remote NFS share and it doesn't show when you browse the share in Windows?  Can you type the name of the share in Windows and browse to it?  i.e. \\Tower\share.

It is working for me.

5 minutes ago, dlandon said:

You are mounting a remote NFS share and it doesn't show when you browse the share in Windows?  Can you type the name of the share in Windows and browse to it?  i.e. \\Tower\share.

It is working for me.

No, this doesn't work either \\unraid.local\downloads if I type in in directly. I have even tried to unshare it and reshare it.

I even tried to share another drive just now and it doesn't work either.

Edited by neruve
4 minutes ago, neruve said:

No, this doesn't work either \\unraid.local\downloads if I type in in directly. I have even tried to unshare it and reshare it.

I even tried to share another drive just now and it doesn't work either.

Strange. I just rebooted the server and it seems to be working fine now. Very interesting.

1 minute ago, neruve said:

Type the following command at a command line:

'ls /etc/samba/unassigned.devices/'.  You should see a file share.conf.

It does take up to a few minutes for Unraid to configure the SMB share.  It is not immediate.  UD writes the configuration file and Unraid will set up the share when it next polls.

Hello! I hope I'm not asking a question that has been answered repeatedly, but I am having trouble making any progress after much reading. 

My friend had a WD "My Cloud Mirror" that he used in conjunction with Time Machine/Apple backup. The drives were in RAID 1 (as far as I know). It is a two drive enclosure and he explained they were mirrored. 

I have been able to mount the disks in my Unraid machine using a spare SATA port. Below, I have only one connected at the moment, but have tried with both and they are both listed similarly. 

image.thumb.png.2f19cc23e52f1caacd4ba5923db6a889.png

I have created an Ubuntu VM and attempted to read the contents of mnt/remotes, but it appears empty (as it does using Krusader). 

I found a thread started by someone in a similar situation, and one recommendation was: "You can try installing a Linux VM and then pass through the drives to the VM (using the ata-id method - see Spaceinvaderone video)"

But I'm having trouble locating the particular video, and cannot figure out where to go from here. I would appreciate any suggestions. I feel like I am 80% of the way there, but not quite sure what to do next. 

The EXT partition (4th one) can be browsed, but this is not where his data is stored naturally. Pass Through settings for the whole disk and individual partitions does not aid my situation.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: I do have Unassigned Devices Plus installed and it's possible there is an APFS format on the drives, but I'm not certain. 

Edited by brtd

Hi, i am trying to add an 8TB hdd and use it to backup my critical data and store it in a separate physical location.

I added it using xfs encrypted (my array is not encrypted). First time using this encryption option.

After formatting it I try to mount it and I cannot. Before I did put in UD Settings> Set Encrypted Disk Password the encryption passwordI used while formatting.

Any ideas?

image.thumb.png.081be5e86df4f4b33397ea3fa96fe75f.png

36 minutes ago, luca2 said:

Hi, i am trying to add an 8TB hdd and use it to backup my critical data and store it in a separate physical location.

I added it using xfs encrypted (my array is not encrypted). First time using this encryption option.

After formatting it I try to mount it and I cannot. Before I did put in UD Settings> Set Encrypted Disk Password the encryption passwordI used while formatting.

Any ideas?

image.thumb.png.081be5e86df4f4b33397ea3fa96fe75f.png

Post your diagnostics.

2 hours ago, luca2 said:

The pass phrase doesn't match:

Sep 22 14:19:59 shogun unassigned.devices: Using disk password to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Sep 22 14:19:59 shogun kernel: device-mapper: ioctl: 4.43.0-ioctl (2020-10-01) initialised: [email protected]
Sep 22 14:20:02 shogun unassigned.devices: luksOpen result: No key available with this passphrase. 
Sep 22 14:20:02 shogun unassigned.devices: Partition 'ST8000DM004-2CX188_WCT2AE35' cannot be mounted.

Don't use special characters.  php has trouble with some.

38 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The pass phrase doesn't match:

Sep 22 14:19:59 shogun unassigned.devices: Using disk password to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Sep 22 14:19:59 shogun kernel: device-mapper: ioctl: 4.43.0-ioctl (2020-10-01) initialised: [email protected]
Sep 22 14:20:02 shogun unassigned.devices: luksOpen result: No key available with this passphrase. 
Sep 22 14:20:02 shogun unassigned.devices: Partition 'ST8000DM004-2CX188_WCT2AE35' cannot be mounted.

Don't use special characters.  php has trouble with some.

Thx dlandon! ... that did the trick.

Just curious:

-what is then maximum length accepted for the password ?

-where does UD store the keyfile?

Rgds