Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

13 minutes ago, trurl said:

Windows can't natively read Unraid filesystems, encrypted or not. I use NTFS unassigned device for my offsite backups, but not encrypted.

Could a Linux VM on Windows read it?  I'm fine with that solution.  I like the NTFS idea but don't want to leave an open copy out in the wild so to speak.

13 minutes ago, ur6969 said:

Could a Linux VM on Windows read it?  I'm fine with that solution.  I like the NTFS idea but don't want to leave an open copy out in the wild so to speak.

A Linux system should be able to read an encrypted disk.  Encryption is based on luks that is not unique to Unraid.

Hey team.

Small issue:

image.thumb.png.a16d2ac3a7c2cacabbf281b99df6e39a.png

I reformated my external USB device - its a 8 bay Proraid box - 2 raid 5 arrays. But they are identifying the same, and when I try to change the mount point they both change. This has not happened before and I am at a loss on how to resolve. 

I have also updated UUIDs. 

server-diagnostics-20211110-0937.zip

Edited by riff.79
added diagnostics v2

Hello, 

I just added 2 new disks to my unraid and the destructive mode is currently greyed out saying I need The 'Unassigned Devices Plus' plugin must be installed to enable Destructive Mode. I am not sure where to find what I am looking for and any help finding it would be great. I just need to replace 2 drives so I can get it back up and running again. Thanks for the help in advance. 

On 11/9/2021 at 11:38 PM, riff.79 said:

Hey team.

Small issue:

image.thumb.png.a16d2ac3a7c2cacabbf281b99df6e39a.png

I reformated my external USB device - its a 8 bay Proraid box - 2 raid 5 arrays. But they are identifying the same, and when I try to change the mount point they both change. This has not happened before and I am at a loss on how to resolve. 

I have also updated UUIDs. 

server-diagnostics-20211110-0937.zip 144.76 kB · 0 downloads

Further to this - here is now unraid identifies them without the plugin / and in the diag:

image.thumb.png.39a2d696f385609cb367104ba099e546.png

There is two disk there, but maybe the -x:x:x at the end of the ID is unsupported\truncated? No idea to be honest, but its impacting me as I can't back up my primary unraid.

2 minutes ago, riff.79 said:

Further to this - here is now unraid identifies them without the plugin / and in the diag:

image.thumb.png.39a2d696f385609cb367104ba099e546.png

There is two disk there, but maybe the -x:x:x at the end of the ID is unsupported\truncated? No idea to be honest, but its impacting me as I can't back up my primary unraid.

UD depends on unique serial numbers for each device.  Your external bay is presenting all disks with the same serial number.

1 hour ago, riff.79 said:

Ive been using this same encloure for 3 years with no issues til I reformatted it this week. I wonder whats changed. 

Ill try creating the partitions similar and see if that resolves the issue: 

Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdh2'...
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdg1'...
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdh1'...
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdg2'...
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: No filesystem detected on '/dev/sdg1'.
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t 'ext4' -o rw,auto,noatime,nodiratime,async,nodev,nosuid '/dev/sdh2' '/mnt/disks/Part_1'
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: No filesystem detected on '/dev/sdh1'.
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t 'ext4' -o rw,auto,noatime,nodiratime,async,nodev,nosuid '/dev/sdg2' '/mnt/disks/Part_2'
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: Partition 'H_W_RAID 5-part1' cannot be mounted.
### [PREVIOUS LINE REPEATED 1 TIMES] ###
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server kernel: EXT4-fs (sdg2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/sdg2' on '/mnt/disks/Part_2'.
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: Adding SMB share 'Part_2'.
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server kernel: EXT4-fs (sdh2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/sdh2' on '/mnt/disks/Part_1'.
Sep  4 16:55:46 Server unassigned.devices: Adding SMB share 'Part_1'.
Sep  4 16:57:08 Server emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sdc
Sep  4 17:00:07 Server crond[1678]: exit status 1 from user root /usr/local/sbin/mover &> /dev/null
Sep  4 17:07:51 Server webGUI: Successful login user root from 192.168.1.240
Sep  4 17:07:51 Server emhttpd: H_W_RAID_5_0123456789ABCDEF-0:1 (sdh) 512 23441768448
Sep  4 17:07:51 Server emhttpd: H_W_RAID_5_0123456789ABCDEF-0:0 (sdg) 512 23441768448
Sep  4 17:07:52 Server emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdh
Sep  4 17:07:52 Server emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdg
Sep  4 17:08:06 Server emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdd
Sep  4 17:08:06 Server emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdb

So i have continued to look at this as I had it working beforehand

1. Added clean EXT4 pariitions via Gparted. Initially detected fine, and then when I started changing mount paths it started duplicating. Tried repeating this process by creating new paritions but continued to fail.

2. Added a small empty parition to 1 of the disks via gparted, and then formatted with Unraid to XFS, and have been able to continually change mount path names with no issue. Since they are on seperate partitions, it looks to solve the Id duplication. 

image.png.acabc936d9a92ee711be8a71fcc504e3.png

image.png

Hi - I have a strange problem.

Today is restartet my server for installing a new HDD - and after the restart my ASUS AX86U SMB-Share doesn't connect anymore - nothing changend on my site - i had it connected all the time - i just updated the UD regulary (but never re-connected) 

I get following messages:

image.thumb.png.1ab4ef91a642ed4067079dcec4f265ca.png

In the release notes there is some change with SMB?!

I already did a new SHARE - no help, did the connect-test with another PC - it's ok and works... I don't understand

Please can anybody help here? Is this a bug?

best regards

6 hours ago, sturmstar said:

Hi - I have a strange problem.

Today is restartet my server for installing a new HDD - and after the restart my ASUS AX86U SMB-Share doesn't connect anymore - nothing changend on my site - i had it connected all the time - i just updated the UD regulary (but never re-connected) 

I get following messages:

image.thumb.png.1ab4ef91a642ed4067079dcec4f265ca.png

In the release notes there is some change with SMB?!

I already did a new SHARE - no help, did the connect-test with another PC - it's ok and works... I don't understand

Please can anybody help here? Is this a bug?

best regards

In the latest version the SMB version is specified specifically.  i.e. 3.1.1 rather than 3.0, 2.1 rather than 2.0.  It looks like your remote server doesn't support 3.1.1, or 2.1 as the version.

Can you connect with the other PC and let me know what version of SMB it connects with?

5 hours ago, sturmstar said:

I would like to test if something changes if i revert back to the previous version of the plugin - does anybody know how i could install the previous version of the UD plugin? 

As soon as you give me some feedback I can release a fix.  I just want to be sure I'm doing the right fix.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, dlandon said:

In the latest version the SMB version is specified specifically.  i.e. 3.1.1 rather than 3.0, 2.1 rather than 2.0.  It looks like your remote server doesn't support 3.1.1, or 2.1 as the version.

Can you connect with the other PC and let me know what version of SMB it connects with?

This is my other unraid-server - here it works - seems like SMB1.0 (i know...)

image.thumb.png.715508e3b1dc2d09b513ebbb0ac0ab6c.png

PS: I have Auto-Update on this server also activated - and it is already up to date (the UD plugin) - but i didn't reboot this server since 7 days. Do the updatet versions only get active after a reboot? I didn't know that...

Edited by sturmstar

UD mounted the remote share with SMB v1.0 because you have NetBIOS enabled on that server.

6 hours ago, sturmstar said:

Do the updatet versions only get active after a reboot?

Updates to UD take effect immediately, but any changes in device mounting will take effect only when a device is remounted - like when the server is rebooted.

I have made some changes to the version used when remote SMB devices are mounted.  I'll release an update this morning.  Give it a try and see if it works when NetBIOS is disabled.  SMB v1.0 should not be used because of security issues and we want 3.x or 2.x to be used.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Your remote server did not like the vers=2.1.  What is your remote server?  Is there anyway to update it to get SMB v3?

No - not by myself - it's an Asus AX86U Router - with a USB SMB Shared Disk (for Backup Purposes) - so maybe in future if there is a firmware upgrade which addresses this - but I'm on the most recent firmware.

1 minute ago, sturmstar said:

No - not by myself - it's an Asus AX86U Router - with a USB SMB Shared Disk (for Backup Purposes) - so maybe in future if there is a firmware upgrade which addresses this - but I'm on the most recent firmware.

Wouldn't it be better to connect that USB disk to your Unraid server?  CIFS is not the most robust way of accessing devices.

i have problems mounting a remote CIFS/SMB drive, the setup works but the final mount does not.

i tried a little bit and found out that unraid can ping the server but doesn't get any response (telnet) on port 445. i tested it on another server (no unraid) and it works there. unfortunately i don't know why unraid works like this. can someone help me ?  

/******.CIFS.HIDRIVE.STRATO.COM/root' '/mnt/remotes/******.CIFS.HIDRIVE.STRATO.COM_root'
Nov 13 00:07:57 Unraid kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount //******.CIFS.HIDRIVE.STRATO.COM/root
Nov 13 00:07:58 Unraid kernel: CIFS: VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation.
Nov 13 00:07:58 Unraid kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -4
Nov 13 00:07:58 Unraid unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=3.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_root' '//CIFS.HIDRIVE.STRATO.COM/root' '/mnt/remotes/CIFS.HIDRIVE.STRATO.COM_root' 2>&1) took longer than 10s!
Nov 13 00:07:58 Unraid unassigned.devices: SMB 3.0 mount failed: 'command timed out'.

1 hour ago, Saw249 said:

i have problems mounting a remote CIFS/SMB drive, the setup works but the final mount does not.

i tried a little bit and found out that unraid can ping the server but doesn't get any response (telnet) on port 445. i tested it on another server (no unraid) and it works there. unfortunately i don't know why unraid works like this. can someone help me ?  

Please post the complete diagnostics zip file.