Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

Your log is flooded with:

Dec 12 11:59:56 Kyber nginx: 2021/12/12 11:59:56 [alert] 17877#17877: worker process 15211 exited on signal 6
Dec 12 11:59:57 Kyber nginx: 2021/12/12 11:59:57 [alert] 17877#17877: worker process 15212 exited on signal 6
Dec 12 11:59:57 Kyber nginx: 2021/12/12 11:59:57 [alert] 17877#17877: worker process 15218 exited on signal 6

This could cause a problem with the GUI.  I don't understand this well enough to help, but others that are more knowledgeable about nginx might be able to help.

This is why rebooting worked - it cleared up the problem, but I suspect it will come back.

Thanks. I wonder what that worker process is?

6 minutes ago, Squid said:

This is probably related to the issue of the Dashboard becoming unreachable if left open for long periods of time.  Fixes are in for the next rev of the OS...

That totally makes sense to me.  I typically use a VM and have FireFox open to multiple tabs like the Unraid MAIN tab, the Dockers tab, and various other running dockers.  So if having these open for a long time causes problems, that makes a lot of sense to me.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Not against the idea, just wondering about consistent ways to talk about it all.

Unraid manages the array, pool devices, VMs and Docker containers.  All will start and stop with the array.  In my mind all these things are part of the array, though not necessarily the actual array.

This came from people creating pools manually and then having UD manage them before Unraid had 'Pool Devices' capability.  UD didn't do a great job with pools and I just cleaned it up a bit so the GUI could handle it better.

51 minutes ago, chuckthetekkie said:

I have 2 18TB Seagate SAS3 HDDs installed in my LSI 9300-16i but they do not show up in unassigned devices while they do show up in Preclear and /dev in terminal as SCSI devices so I don't know how to format and mount them outside the array.

tower-diagnostics-20211219-1408.zip 153.68 kB · 0 downloads

Which disks?  Can you post a screen shot of UD?

10 minutes ago, chuckthetekkie said:

That's the problem. They don't show up in the Unassigned Devices section of the Main page.

Yea, I get that, but I'm trying to gather information to see if I can find the problem.

Try this:

- Click on the double arrows in the upper right of the UD page.  This will trigger udev to rediscover the disks.

- If that doesn't clear up the problem, then post the contents of the file /var/state/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.ini.

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

Yes.  UD expects ata devices.  These disks are marked as scsi.

Remove the dynamix scsi devices plugin.  I think others have had this issue.

@JorgeB It appears that UD has a bug when presented with scsi disks.  The original coding was set to handle scsi disks, but it is apparently not working.  Is there a way I can add a scsi disk to my server without having to use an LSI controller and an 18TB disk?

7 minutes ago, chuckthetekkie said:

It seems that I cannot delete partitions created by Preclear. If I use Preclear to erase all data and stop it I can then delete the partition and format the disk. 

tower-diagnostics-20211221-1444.zip 157.87 kB · 1 download

UD tried to delete the partition, but it doesn't exist.

I added a red 'X' next to the serial number in release 12.13.2021 that does a wipefs on the whole disk and overcomes these kinds of issues.  It's pretty brute force and takes all the partition information off the disk.  Give that a try.

55 minutes ago, chuckthetekkie said:

Where does this red X exist?  Is it on the Main page?  The only red x there is next to the partition that Preclear made. I have the 12/13/2021 version already. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 3.01.40 PM.png

It looks like this:

2081310069_UDPage.png.a30dd7e3077908e691079f4180859d3f.png

There may be an issue with preclear being installed.  I'll have a look.

Hi all,

i've the following problem.

I would like to use a NVMe m2 SSD with UD.

During the array is offline, all is fine. I was able to format the SSD and my array settings looks good.
If i start my array unraid says "flash device error" and unraid couldn't find my license file.

image.png.2c9c16e7097b2957d1f5a0052e626d26.png

UD show this:

image.png.982b072cde5470edad1c4986b443115c.png

The second one is my USB Stick with UNRAID.

Bringing the array offline takes very long, UNRAID says "Retry unmounting disk share(s)...".

Whats wrong here?

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Devinius said:

Hi all,

i've the following problem.

I would like to use a NVMe m2 SSD with UD.

During the array is offline, all is fine. I was able to format the SSD and my array settings looks good.
If i start my array unraid says "flash device error" and unraid couldn't find my license file.

image.png.2c9c16e7097b2957d1f5a0052e626d26.png

UD show this:

image.png.982b072cde5470edad1c4986b443115c.png

The second one is my USB Stick with UNRAID.

Bringing the array offline takes very long, UNRAID says "Retry unmounting disk share(s)...".

Whats wrong here?

Thank you!

Your flash drive is disconnecting and then reconnecting.  When it reconnects, Linux assigns a new device designation thinking it is a new hot plugged drive.  The server then loses access to sda.

Do this:

• Shut down your system.
  • Remove the flash drive and take it to a computer and try to repair the file system.
  • Put the flash back into the server in a different USB slot.  Try to use a USB2 slot.