Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

5 minutes ago, dlandon said:

1. If Linux doesn't recognize the fie system, UD can't deteremine it.

2. I don't think the settings icon should be grayed out.  I think it's because there is no file system.  I'll have to take a look at this situation.

1. Makes sense, thanks for confirming.
  2. It's certainly confusing.  When I first plugged it in, I could change settings.  In an effort to troubleshoot my inability to mount the drive though, I updated Unassigned Devices and after updating everything is grayed out.  Ever since I've been unable to change anything.  If I can provide any extra inputs let me know, definitely a bit stumped on this one and haven't really found anything online.
1 hour ago, sixfootsideburns said:

Why can't I change drive settings?  Is there any work around for this?  I got pretty lucky with Historical Devices, otherwise I think I would have been locked out of allowing Pass Through for VM.  Any thoughts?

This is fixed in the next release.  The situation you got into was a partition on a disk with no file system and marked as passed through.  UD grayed out the settings icon when the partition had no file system.  This has been changed so the disk settings will show even with no file system.

You got yourself painted into a corner.

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

This is fixed in the next release.  The situation you got into was a partition on a disk with no file system and marked as passed through.  UD grayed out the settings icon when the partition had no file system.  This has been changed so the disk settings will show even with no file system.

You got yourself painted into a corner.

Any ETA on when I can leave time out? 🤣

Today I had to restart my UNRAID server.

After the restart only one of my 2 unassigned devices mounted correctly.

It worked fine for 8 months and I also did a few restarts in that time.

I get the following error message in System Log:

Jan 16 17:38:47 Unraid unassigned.devices: Error: Device '/dev/sdm1' mount point 'storj2' - name is reserved, used in the array or by an unassigned device.

I am not using this name in the array or by an unassigned device.

The other unassigned device is mounted as storj1.

Edited by Crunk_Bass
5 hours ago, Crunk_Bass said:

No, there is only a docker container named Storj2 using this mount.

The docker is stopped because the mount does not exist.

There is also a docker container named Storj1  using the mount storj1 and this mount works fine.

Show the results of this command:

cat /var/state/unassigned.devices/share_names.json

12 hours ago, dlandon said:

Try clickking on the double arrows in the upper right corner and see if the device file system will be recognized.

Nothing changed.   I'm starting to realize that it must be something with the drive. I've tried it on a mac and it did not mount there either. Looks like I'll have to replace.

Thanks for the help.

20 hours ago, dlandon said:

Show the results of this command:

cat /var/state/unassigned.devices/share_names.json

When I stopped the array and rebooted the server there was an array called storj with 2 disks named storj and storj2.

I have no idea where that came from. After deleting this and starting the array again everything started to work like it always did.

Thanks for your help.

Here is the output of the command if still relevant:

root@Unraid:~# cat /var/state/unassigned.devices/share_names.json
{
    "sdm1": "storj2",
    "sdj1": "storj1"
}

30 minutes ago, Crunk_Bass said:

When I stopped the array and rebooted the server there was an array called storj with 2 disks named storj and storj2.

I suspect that was from a mis-configuration of a docker container.

I know the situtation of a duplicate name caused you some stress, but the idea behind UD detecting those kinds of issues is to prevent a bigger issue of potentially losing data.

32 minutes ago, Crunk_Bass said:

Here is the output of the command if still relevant:

This is an array of the UD devices and their share names.  It could given me information about UD perhaps having an issue with checking for duplicates.

Bottom line, glad you got it worked out.

Has any discussion happened on mechanic disk head parking on umount?

When I press the interface button to umount and then physically power off the drive I can clearly hear the disk doing something that sounds a little awful.

As an experiment, immediately after pressing the interface button, I issued the following command to the external USB disk:

hdparm -y /dev/sdt

and whilst I get an error:

issuing standby command
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  f0 00 01 00 50 40 00 0a 00 00 00 00 00 1d 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

it seems to work and powering off the disk sounds less harsh.

This is proof of concept only, just enough to check the theory to open a post here for discussion.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:13 AM, dlandon said:

Ok, that helps me understand your use case.  I think the best thing here is for me to have a UD setting the same as the setting for the array for MacOS interoperability, but applies to UD devices.  Currently if the array setting is 'Yes', then UD sets the MacOS interoperability on its shares.

Thank you so much for the support, it's working great!

3 hours ago, NAS said:

This is proof of concept only, just enough to check the theory to open a post here for discussion.

I'm finishing up a new feature that allows you to add an alias name to a disk device and then use that name to mount, unmount, and spin down a disk.  Using this feature, you can spin down a disk when it is unmounted by changing the device script like this:

'REMOVE' )
    # do your stuff here
    /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned spindown name=Scratch

After the disk is unmounted the 'REMOVE' event is sent to the device script and at that time the spindown can occur.  The caveat is that this only works in 6.9 and later.

Here is a screen shot to show how the alias naming works.

2031750679_UDDisplay.thumb.png.800207c822bb94bbb5f195d7e9ac5e8f.png

Don't use the hdparm command on 6.9 and later because it confuses the spin down logic in Unraid.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, GilbertJames said:

I setup Unassigned Devices to share a drive from my drobo unit.  When I go to access the share, it asks for a username/password.

How do I go about changing it so, no username/password are required.

Thanks.

If it's smb, enter the credentials when you set it up with ud.  The quickest way to do that is to setup the smb share again and it will over write the original one.