Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

6 minutes ago, GilbertJames said:

I setup Unassigned Devices to share a drive from my drobo unit.  When I go to access the share, it asks for a username/password.

How do I go about changing it so, no username/password are required.

Thanks.

That is controlled at the Diogo end.

9 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Click on add SMB/NFS share button and select either SMB (Windows icon), or NFS (Linux icon).  Click next and follow the prompts.  I do recommend letting UD find the server and selecting it by name and not IP address.

So, I dont use the share under Unassigned Devices i used it und SMB Shares| NFS Shares?

26 minutes ago, GilbertJames said:

So, I dont use the share under Unassigned Devices i used it und SMB Shares| NFS Shares?

I'm very confused.  You show a disk mounted in UD.  That's not a remote share.

SMB Shares | NFS Shares is what we are talking about.  That is remote shares and when you add a SMB share you enter credentials.

1 minute ago, dlandon said:

I'm very confused.  You show a disk mounted in UD.  That's not a remote share.

SMB Shares | NFS Shares is what we are talking about.  That is remote shares and when you add a SMB share you enter credentials.

So I mounted the disk, can cleared the share under the settings icon.  The  share shows up when i browse the network, but asks for a username password, none of my other shares do that, only when I make the shares via Unassigned Devices.

Just now, GilbertJames said:

So I mounted the disk, can cleared the share under the settings icon.  The  share shows up when i browse the network, but asks for a username password, none of my other shares do that, only when I make the shares via Unassigned Devices.

I think what you need to do is go to UD settings (click the gear icon in the upper right) and look at the section on "SMB Security".  You control user acces there.

Release 2022.01.19.

New UD feature - Disk naming:
You can now name your disks with a unique alias name.  On 6.9 and 6.10 the disk names will default to the unassigned devices 'devX' designations.  This can be up to 8 characters, upper and lower case, no spaces (spaces are converted to "_"), and minimal special character use.  The name is case sensitive.  One feature of the naming is that the disks will show on the UD page in alphabetic name order.  You can also mount, unmount, and spin down disks with the rc.unassigned command using the disk name:

/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount name=diskname
/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned umount name=diskname
/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned spindown name=diskname

You set the disk name by clicking on the three gears icon to edit the disk settings.  If you want to remove your disk name, just clear the disk name in the edit settings and click 'Save'.  The default 'Dev X' will be assigned.  The 'Dev X' designation in the disk name will show as 'devX'.

The disk names of installed and historical devices are checked for a duplicate name when you try to change the name, so you cannot name a disk the same as a historical disk.  Historical disks are sorted by "Serial Number" and not device.

• Like 2

Is it possible for me to unencrypt an encrypted XFS (LUKS) disk in the Unraid GUI (or via CLI) using unassigned drives and then pass through the unencrypted partition to a vm?

I've tried /dev/disk/by-id/xxxxxxxxxxxx.part1 and it seems the encryption is reapplied (or is never taken off) before it gets to the VM.

I need the VM to have access to the whole partition, as I'm attempting to recover accidentally deleted files and folders from the encrypted drive. I would just allow the recovery software to manage the decryption, but it cannot handle LUKS without paying for professional version @ $500. Hence, I'd like to unlock the partition and then pass it through.

Any help gratefully received!

Jay

Edited by jabajames
31 minutes ago, jabajames said:

Is it possible for me to unencrypt an encrypted XFS (LUKS) disk in the Unraid GUI (or via CLI) using unassigned drives and then pass through the unencrypted partition to a vm?

I've tried /dev/disk/by-id/xxxxxxxxxxxx.part1 and it seems the encryption is reapplied (or is never taken off) before it gets to the VM.

I need the VM to have access to the whole partition, as I'm attempting to recover accidentally deleted files and folders from the encrypted drive. I would just allow the recovery software to manage the decryption, but it cannot handle LUKS without paying for professional version @ $500. Hence, I'd like to unlock the partition and then pass it through.

Any help gratefully received!

Jay

You can mount the disk with UD and then share it using SMB.  The VM could browse the disk share.  I don't know if this will solve your problem though using recovery software.  I don't think you'll be successful passing through a mounted partition like you want to a VM.

UD must have the password.  Go to UD settings and enter the password for the disk, then you'll be able to mount it,

Edited by dlandon

Appreciate for the new add feature, but the change not positive for pool disk.

Due to alias is unique, so for a pool's member disk will be name something like pool1 pool2 pool3 .... if I want they sorting in better outlook. For spindown, I need perform one by one.

If alias exist, then sort by it and remain were sort by identification or sdX will be great. Thanks 

There is no issue with Pools.  The alias name is only a reference and has nothing to do with the Pool operation.

1755238331_UDPool.thumb.png.c7c1904d7971aab7249889e324883d33.png

You unmount the Pool by this command:

/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned umount name=Pool_1

You have to unmount the prmary disk.

To spin down the disks use these commands:

/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned spindown name=Pool_1
/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned spindown name=Pool_2
/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned spindown name=Pool_3

39 minutes ago, dlandon said:

There is no issue with Pools.

Of course, anyway just name all disk if I want better outlook, i.e. by their physical bay no.

For spindown, really want have some advance feature, i.e. alias in SAS, SAS_1, SAS_2, once spindown SAS then SAS_1 & SAS_2 will spindown too.

Edited by Vr2Io

Got below problem, I power-on external enclosure, increase from 9 disk to 21 disk ( UD ). Then GUI would as below, if click UD refresh button, it will show one more disk, but still no device info. behind 1st row green circle.

image.png.12c0ae13cd462bc1fb84ea6afffd636c.png

Try enable debug, got "ool www" message and no other error observe. 

image.png.9c817c854f1ce1b785f7bbf31b8cafe7.png

Also try delete unassigned.devices.cfg or reboot couldn't help, if remove UD, then it will show all unassigned device in official form.

image.png.24e9cca1a347000a042e385adbc2f327.png

Edited by Vr2Io
On 12/6/2020 at 3:23 AM, dlandon said:

The latest version of UD maps the remote shares to /mnt/remotes/.  You are encouraged to change your Docker Container and VM mappings to the new mount point.

If you can't do that, go the UD settings and set 'Legacy Mount Point Compatibility?' to 'Yes'.  Then unmount and re-mount the remote shares.  There will be symlinks created at /mnt/disks/ to the remote shares mounted at /mnt/remotes/.  You won't have to change any Docker Container or VM mappings.

Oooooohh.. It took me a while, but i get it now :)

Local UDs:  /mnt/disks/

Remote UDs:  /mnt/remote

The help text wording was confusing to me, it doesn't make a distinction between local UDs and remote UDs. It implies that all UD mappings should be set to /mnt/remotes:

Legacy Mount Point Compatibility?

Set to Yes to create symlinks for /mnt/remotes/ at /mnt/disks/.

This is for backwards compatibility of VM and Docker Container mappings to the /mnt/disks/ mount point. You are encouraged to change your mappings to the /mnt/remotes/ mount point.

If you do not need the backwards compatibility, leave it set to No.