Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, wambo said:

I saw the changelog today but I can't see any difference.
Also tried the tabbed view,  but there I just cannot access the blue help text at all. (Even if I open the one from previous tab)

Maybe I have another plugin interfering?

This is a bug in UD that I haven't fixed yet.

UD was first implemented many years ago before I took it over.  It was originally done as a way to install a USB device and do a quick copy from/to the device.  Unfortunately, the way it was implemented and has been changed over the years, it has broken the ability to click on the table header.  I have it as a bug fix in UD tasks, but I suspect it will take some rewrite to make it work.  It's not a high priority right now.

Clicking on the table header is one way to enable the help, but there are others.  Press the F1 key, or click the help icon in the upper right of the page to toggle the help.  In the non-tabbed view this is really messy because the help is enabled on all pages and you'll have to scroll through all the help to get to UD.

2 hours ago, Adam_ said:

Any suggestion on what to do?

It appears you installed the disk and let UD assign a default mount point.  Something has changed in UD lately (not sure what I did to cause this), but the default mount point has changed.  Unless you change the mount point manually, UD will not keep a permanent mount point in the configuration file for that drive.  It could change again.

At this point you can set the mount point to the one the docker container is expecting and it should start.  Click on the mount point when the UD device is unmounted and set the correct mount point.

15 minutes ago, Squid said:

Not sure if this is your issue and an issue with UD, but the drives are now being mounted with some long hex name (/mnt/disks/50026B727604BA4C)  instead of the drive's name

@dlandon

Something changed in UD that changed the default mount point.  Unless the user manually sets the mount point to commit it to the UD device configuration, it could change again.  I don't recommend using the default mount point because it defaults to a very cryptic value.  A user should set a verbal mount point that makes sense about the function of the device.

I think this might come from users not knowing that the mount point can be set to any value they want and the default is not really a good choice.

20 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Something changed in UD that changed the default mount point.  Unless the user manually sets the mount point to commit it to the UD device configuration, it could change again.  I don't recommend using the default mount point because it defaults to a very cryptic value.  A user should set a verbal mount point that makes sense about the function of the device.

I think this might come from users not knowing that the mount point can be set to any value they want and the default is not really a good choice.

I was actually replying to @Adam_ and tagging you

I have found some issues with the default mount point that UD comes up with.  Not exactly sure why it has changed lately, but probably because several unassigned variables were being used and this can cause unpredictable results. I've made some changes for the next release.

Hi, is it possible to access files from an external hard drive mounted using UD in binhex-krusader docker? I read about ntfs-3g here:https://wiki.unraid.net/Mounting_an_external_USB_drive_having_an_existing_NTFS_file_system_in_READ/WRITE_mode_to_transport_files_from/to_unRaid_server but I would like to manage transfer of files using binhex-krusader´s docker.

If it is not supported, what is the best way to achieve transfer of files between ext.hdd nounted with UD and unraid share?

14 minutes ago, Squid said:

You would mount the drive via Unassigned Devices, and then add another path mapping to Krusader (say /UNASSIGNED mapped to /mnt/disks (access mode RW) )

Thx for support.

I still get this, basically no single folder/file is shown in krusader. Any idea how to solve it?image.png.5f93650086e790c238c1ce8607b80db1.png

11 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Go to a command line and verify the mount point:

ls /mnt/disks/

The mount point is the text next the the three icons under the serial number on the UD page.  Make sure you don't have a typo.  It's case sensitive.

ok thx. I found the problem. I had a duplicated mount point.

thx for support.

I have some scripts (User.Script plugin) which are making backups some data from unraid server to remote smb share.
Remote share is placed on Synology. Synology is shutting down after backups done, and auto powering on before backup cron schedule.
i'm using

/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount
/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned umount

to mount and unmount share before and after backup
But most of times rc.unassigned can not mount share, I found that when I log in to Unraid WebUI on Main Tab, there is no my smb share, but it is still present in configuration files. Sometimes it is present, and I can manually run script immediatly, but often I must wait few seconds when it is showing on Main Tab, then I can run script.
This is not caused by too late power on. Synology is waking up about 20 minutes before cron schedule.
When script cannot mount share it is exiting with message. After few hours, I'm logging in to WebUI, there is no samba share, but after few saconds whatching Main Tab, it is showing up.
In the script I made ping check and dns check before mounting.

Yesterday was good:

Jan 25 04:40:18 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 25 04:40:18 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//SynologyStation/backup' using SMB default protocol.
Jan 25 04:40:18 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t 'cifs' -o rw,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_backup' '//SynologyStation/backup' '/mnt/remotes/backup_disk1'
Jan 25 04:40:18 UnraidStation kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount //SynologyStation/backup
Jan 25 04:40:19 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '//SynologyStation/backup' on '/mnt/remotes/backup_disk1/'.
Jan 25 04:40:19 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Adding SMB share 'backup_disk1'.
Jan 25 04:42:01 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Removing Remote SMB/NFS share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 25 04:42:01 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Unmounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 25 04:42:01 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Synching file system on '/mnt/remotes/backup_disk1'.
Jan 25 04:42:01 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Unmount cmd: /sbin/umount -t cifs '//SynologyStation/backup' 2>&1
Jan 25 04:42:01 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Successfully unmounted 'backup'
Jan 25 04:42:01 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Removing SMB share 'backup_disk1'

But most times it is like this

an 26 04:40:05 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 26 04:40:05 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server 'SynologyStation' is offline and share '//SynologyStation/backup' cannot be mounted.
Jan 26 04:40:16 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 26 04:40:16 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server 'SynologyStation' is offline and share '//SynologyStation/backup' cannot be mounted.
Jan 26 04:40:26 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 26 04:40:26 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server 'SynologyStation' is offline and share '//SynologyStation/backup' cannot be mounted.
Jan 26 04:40:37 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 26 04:40:37 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server 'SynologyStation' is offline and share '//SynologyStation/backup' cannot be mounted.
Jan 26 04:40:47 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 26 04:40:47 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server 'SynologyStation' is offline and share '//SynologyStation/backup' cannot be mounted.
Jan 26 04:40:58 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 26 04:40:58 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server 'SynologyStation' is offline and share '//SynologyStation/backup' cannot be mounted.
Jan 26 04:41:09 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 26 04:41:09 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server 'SynologyStation' is offline and share '//SynologyStation/backup' cannot be mounted.
Jan 26 04:41:19 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 26 04:41:19 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server 'SynologyStation' is offline and share '//SynologyStation/backup' cannot be mounted.
Jan 26 04:41:30 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 26 04:41:30 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server 'SynologyStation' is offline and share '//SynologyStation/backup' cannot be mounted.
Jan 26 04:41:40 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 26 04:41:40 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server 'SynologyStation' is offline and share '//SynologyStation/backup' cannot be mounted.
Jan 26 04:41:51 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SynologyStation/backup'...
Jan 26 04:41:51 UnraidStation unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server 'SynologyStation' is offline and share '//SynologyStation/backup' cannot be mounted.

And after this loop it is exiting.

It is pinged and online, when backup is starting. As I sad, Synology could be online few hours, but when I log in to WebUI it is not showing on Main Tab. It showing up after few seconds. If I log in and try to start script without opening Main Tab, and waiting till it show synology smb, script is failing.
Synology is starting about 04:00 AM, backup starts at 04:40, failing, and I'm loging in to Unraid UI about 09:00 AM and still failing.
But if I switch to Main Tab and wait till remote samba show up, is ok.

I think the issue is that UD doesn't have the current ping status when you execute the mount.  UD runs a background task that keeps up the remote server status.  This only runs when the UD page is running.  The last status may or may not be up to date and show the correct ping status.

What will probably have to happen is that the ping status will have to be updated before UD tries the mount.  Let me look at a fix.

4 minutes ago, VRx said:

This is probably problem.
Maybe there is a chance to manually initiate UD ping to remote server, maybe by rc.unasigned script.
I think there is no need to making automatic background checks to often or another complicated resolve this.

It's really simple and does not require a constant background check.  When UD is asked to mount the remote share it checks to see if the server is online from the ping status from the last run of background script.  In your case it found the remote server was last found offline and issued the log message.  Now what I'm doing is running the ping status update when the server is found offline, and then check again if it is online.  The ping background check is very fast and won't slow down the mount.  Good news is that the ping status script won't be run unless needed to refresh an offline server status.

The reason for the remote server online check is a mount will fail if it the remote server is offline.

It will be fixed in the next release.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know why I would have an unassigned drive show up on the "Dashboard" but not appear in the Unassigned Devices window on the "Main" page.  

See two photos below:

A little background.  

• I routinely have two devices connected "unassigned" at all times.  One is mounted as a shared drive outside the array and used as a backup drive.  The other is a warm spare.
  • Periodically I have added one or two drives on Esata ports to preclear through unassigned devices and have never had issues.
  • This time my backup drive no longer shows up in the "unassigned" connected drives.  Instead its under "historical devices" yet the shared drive is visible and works.
  • A few restarts trying to troubleshoot and it appeared back on Unassigned as connected.  I think I did refresh the unassigned drives button in this operation and that is what I attributed it coming back too.  Note: I did also disconnect and reconnect the Esata drives, rebooting during this process.
  • Concurrently I have another issue I'm trying to troubleshoot, where I am getting UDMA errors during the "write zeros" operation of preclear for the two added drives.  I don't believe this has anything to do with the problem here, and believe I've tracked it to the power cable.  I've just started the two drives concurrently "writing zeros" under preclear and will know in a few hours.  Link for more info here:  https://forums.unraid.net/topic/119010-errors-during-pre-clear-2-drives-simultaneously/?tab=comments#comment-1089117

It seems every time I reboot the my unassigned devices change which is Device 1,2,3,4.  I haven't figured out what is driving that but it doesn't appear driven by what port they are connected too because it floats. 

Is this possibly driven by the backup drive previously being "Dev2" and now a different drive has taken the "Dev2" assignment?  Should I just red-x the Historical Drive? I don't want to lose settings for that device.

image.thumb.png.1cd532aed61fe17797b5a883f0561e27.png

image.thumb.png.92f56479450da6e7bc241c239117a7e9.png