Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

7 minutes ago, Fulgurator said:

Now that I've specified an explicit mount point, the next time the default changes I won't be affected.

Correct.  I don't know what changed that affected the default mount point, but commiting a mount point (whether it's the default or your own) will prevent this issue.

• Like 1

I searched this thread a bit but its quite deep. 

I have a HP server box using a raid controller unfortunately. I have a 4 disk array with its 1 parity drive and 2 SSD's I use 1 for VM's and I am attempting to use the other for a cache drive. 

In the raid controller i have each SSD setup as an individual Raid0 Confg (same as my array), but when the drives show up in UD they join themselves together and show incorrectly. I was wondering if there is a way I can get the drives to show independently just like every other drive in my system.

784324606_UnraidDev1.PNG.96f44bf60281eae35b861a922e89fb77.png

Has anyone had any experience using an Auto mapped share from a 2nd UnRaid server and passing it through to Emby or other dockers?

image.png.4aead67d4866991db284fd69ecc43a4f.png

image.png.1b24c10cd6806401028557a65800e4dc.png.6264eb8c3cc26adfec2aa600bebbb42a.png

Emby can see and play media from there, but it can't update the meta data in that folder.

I'm getting permissions errors;

*** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.6.7.0
    Command line: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
    Operating system: Linux version 5.10.28-Unraid (root@Develop) (gcc (GCC) 9.3.0, GNU ld version 2.33.1-slack15) #1 SMP Wed Apr 7 08:23:18 PDT 2021
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.21
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 24
    Data path: /config
    Application path: /system
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/mnt/remotes/192.168.0.8_Media/TV Shows/Buffy The Vampire Slayer/tvshow.nfo' is denied.
     ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

But permission look OK?

Inkedimage.png.f137ddce2912ccc13783b5413a512265_LI.jpg.d881713b75adb643e338a2d6a0a57f07.jpg

I have added an old windows SSD to unraid and how to use it in a cache pool along with another similar drive already set to cache.

I am unable to mount the drive (it tries briefly).  In the log I see:

Feb 15 07:10:47 Server unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sdd1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/S21HNXAG862535Y'...
Feb 15 07:10:47 Server unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t 'ntfs' -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,nls=utf8,umask=000 '/dev/sdd1' '/mnt/disks/S21HNXAG862535Y'
Feb 15 07:10:47 Server unassigned.devices: Mount of 'sdd1' failed: 'Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened. The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command. '

I saw another thread like this here and the moderator spoke of fixing this SSD before trying to mount but not sure how?  The PC it came out of is dismantled.

Any ideas?

21 hours ago, ejg3855 said:

I searched this thread a bit but its quite deep. 

I have a HP server box using a raid controller unfortunately. I have a 4 disk array with its 1 parity drive and 2 SSD's I use 1 for VM's and I am attempting to use the other for a cache drive. 

In the raid controller i have each SSD setup as an individual Raid0 Confg (same as my array), but when the drives show up in UD they join themselves together and show incorrectly. I was wondering if there is a way I can get the drives to show independently just like every other drive in my system.

784324606_UnraidDev1.PNG.96f44bf60281eae35b861a922e89fb77.png

Be sure you are on the latest version of UD.  Post diagnostics if an update doesn't make any difference.

It looks like the device was mounted and then disconnected and reconnected without unmounting, but the 'Dev X' designation is duplicated.  This should not happen if the 'sdX' designations are different.

1 hour ago, iannecj said:

I saw another thread like this here and the moderator spoke of fixing this SSD before trying to mount but not sure how?  The PC it came out of is dismantled.

Any ideas?

You'll probably have to take it to a WIndows machine and get it straightened out there.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Youo'll probably have to take it to a WIndows machine and get it straightened out there.

Thanks.

Sorry to read this as I have no practical option to get this drive out of a rack mounted UNRAID chassis.  I assume no other ideas that don't require I remove the drive?

At any rate greatly appreciate the fast response!

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

Be sure you are on the latest version of UD.  Post diagnostics if an update doesn't make any difference.

It looks like the device was mounted and then disconnected and reconnected without unmounting, but the 'Dev X' designation is duplicated.  This should not happen if the 'sdX' designations are different.

I just updated UD.

I'm not sure why it shows DEV1 for both drives on the main screen. 

When I click DEV 1 for the first drive it shows: 

dev2 Settings

Name:

Dev 2

Identification:

LOGICAL_VOLUME_0014380337D7200_3600508b1001cf95ff760c0e4274362fa (sdf)

Then when I click the second DEV 1 

dev1 Settings

Name:

Dev 1

Identification:

LOGICAL_VOLUME_0014380337D7200_3600508b1001c9d70bb2587130140cdbf (sdh)

I have unmounted, remounted, formatted, etc the 250GB drive a few times, I've removed it and attached it to a Linux box and confirmed it works. Let me know what other information you might need its quite confusing. 

tower-diagnostics-20220215-1307.zip

17 minutes ago, ejg3855 said:

Let me know what other information you might need its quite confusing. 

Please post the contents of the file '/var/state/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.ini'.  Please don't cut and paste it, its too laege for that.  Zip it and post it as an attachmennt, or you can PM ti to me.

Hi @dlandon!

Got a feature request... :D

Would it be possible to create a option in the settings to actually disable the Unmount button (greyed out) from a device like it is now when you activate that it is passed throug to a VM or Docker container:

grafik.thumb.png.37b0efdd89be213817da781222a3d37a.png

grafik.png.c1581c5888a32c29c24cbc49c4fc0b6d.png

Or does this also work when I enable Passed Through? If yes will the Automount work like it works when it's not passed through?

I unmounted the device now accidentally more times than I would like too... :D

5 hours ago, ich777 said:

Or does this also work when I enable Passed Through? If yes will the Automount work like it works when it's not passed through?

A passed through disk will not autmount. If it's passed through and mounted by a docker container or VM and UD mounts it, there would be data corruption.

Probably the best way to handle this is with an enable check box like that used in the recycle bin plugin, and on the plugins page.

1609315276_RecycleBin.png.eb6aed64dcdb0cd6033ba15b1249fbf2.png

The 'Unmount' button would not be enabled until the check box is checked.  It would be a bit harder to acidentally click the 'Mount' button.

I'll have to think about this a bit though to be sure it makes sense for everyone.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I'll have to think about this a bit though to be sure it makes sense for everyone.

Is this something that would be appropriate:

image.thumb.png.8c02e07e47c4d1794aa11d260eb75b93.png

(please don't judge my drawing skills... :D )

Maybe it would be an idea to actually display this switch only if AUTOMOUNT is enabled (next to it not at the end like in my drawing).

14 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Might be more cumbersome than I prefer.  A few too many steps to unmount a device manually.

But only if you turn this option on, otherwise it would work as usual.

This was only just an idea to keep the main interface simple and hide it in the settings.

Maybe another idea would be to display Disabled or something simmilar instead of Unmount/Mount if this option is turned on so that it is actually visible that it's disabled to mount unmount the disk.