Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

so it didnt happen in latest version 

also  the change uuid  grayed out and unclickable

is there any way to fix this  or is the drive totally gone

Mar 11 02:13:21 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:13:36 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:13:52 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:14:20 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:14:35 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:14:50 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:15:18 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:15:33 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:15:48 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:16:16 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:16:31 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:16:47 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:17:15 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:17:30 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:17:45 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:18:13 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:18:28 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:18:44 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:19:11 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:19:27 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Mar 11 02:19:42 backupserver kernel: ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)

i use ssd for easier hot swapping  transport but maybe hot swapping isnt good?  the BIOS is set for hot swap

i unmount the SSD and slide it out

but maybe they still get corrupt?

i know in the 90s  when i used dos... we used the program PARK  to park the heads of the drives before transporting to lan parties etc..  now i dont know when you power down drives if parks heads on spinners

and i dont know if its safe to hot swap ssds

buti figured ssds were better  this sdd  not even a year old  it had 1 relocate error but that happened i guess bad sata cable

least 5 yr warrenty  but like to try to get files off if i can

and can you see what the errors mean  

the mitchserver is where the ssd came out of.  it was working before 1pm  before my sister had pulled it out.. but i had it unmounted.. does the diagnostic i just took say anything  with the errors i see

uuid.PNG

backupserver-diagnostics-20220311-0641.zip

mitchsserver-diagnostics-20220311-0655.zip

Edited by comet424

Just released a new version of UD.  You can now create a rootshare in UD and name it like you want.  It will also work with the Recycle Bin plugin.  You need to be sure to turn on the 'Enable on Unassigned Devices?' in the Recycle Bin plugin so the recycle bin is enabled on the rootshare.

This functionality replaces the modifications to the smb-extra.conf to make a rootshare.

• Thanks 2

ya its a backup  its just my sister lives a few hours away  so once or twice a week we meet half way  and we swap ssds  and i store her files..  and i dont think she got static shock but you never know  it doesnt tell ya oh just got shocked... damn things i tell ya

the Sata Ports are set for Hot Swap in the Bios.. and its a 4 bay slide in.. and i use a Sabrent 3.5 to 2.5 holder   that sits inside the tray so i can hot swap the ssd from a 3.5 bay

so i wanted to least try to get the files..   windows cant even see the disk   guess its cooked

and ya i should have enable UD plugin  cuz they all work and i helped ya figured the bugs you were having in the UD Plugin a month ago.. and it auto updates  everyday...

so i not sure what you all mean about the rootshare part and the conf  file  in your other comment..  i just make sure ud and all plugins up to date  and the UD just works.. all i know lol

so i guess i best RMA SSD and get another one

so what does that rooshare  mean and actually do..? 

does that the automount?    it places the Share folder of the ud drive.. to the /mnt/user/   directory?

is that what that means  as i dont understand..  

since i never used rootshare?    i just use the automount  and autoshare option  to have the folder pop up in the sambre share

On 3/11/2022 at 9:29 AM, comet424 said:

so what does that rooshare  mean and actually do..? 

does that the automount?    it places the Share folder of the ud drive.. to the /mnt/user/   directory?

is that what that means  as i dont understand..  

since i never used rootshare?    i just use the automount  and autoshare option  to have the folder pop up in the sambre share

You setup a named share say 'rootshare'.  All of the /mnt/user/ shares will now show in the 'rootshare'.  It does auto mount if you set the switch on.  It is said to speed up SMB copies when you do it from the root share.

Check it out here: 

• Thanks 1

Upgraded to rc3 of 6.10 today. 

i use a server to server connection over WireGuard to mount a share from my friend with unassigned devices. Latest updates… 

so after upgrade I cannot mount the external share. VPN Connection is ok. The share shows me as online but I  Get this error when I try to mount it. The other server is at 6.9.2

kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\10.253.1.1 Send error in SessSetup = -13 Mar 11 14:27:01 NASty kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

with rc2 there was no problem. Any suggestions? 

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

Post your diagnostics.

here you go. i reebootet the server again. VPN connection is ok, share shows me as online (green dot) but mounting give me an error. i checket at my friends unraid server that i have R/W rights with my user. double checked login credentials.  

Edited by Johnny4233
20 minutes ago, Johnny4233 said:

here you go. i reebootet the server again. VPN connection is ok, share shows me as online (green dot) but mounting give me an error. i checket at my friends unraid server that i have R/W rights with my user. double checked login credentials.  

nasty-diagnostics-20220311-2155.zip 110.07 kB · 0 downloads

Credentials problem:

Mar 11 21:54:50 NASty kernel: CIFS: Status code returned 0xc000006d STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Mar 11 21:54:50 NASty kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\10.253.1.1 Send error in SessSetup = -13
Mar 11 21:54:50 NASty kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Mar 11 21:54:50 NASty unassigned.devices: Running device script: '10.253.1.1_backup_jan.sh' with action 'ERROR_MOUNT'.

10 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Credentials problem:

Mar 11 21:54:50 NASty kernel: CIFS: Status code returned 0xc000006d STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Mar 11 21:54:50 NASty kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\10.253.1.1 Send error in SessSetup = -13
Mar 11 21:54:50 NASty kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Mar 11 21:54:50 NASty unassigned.devices: Running device script: '10.253.1.1_backup_jan.sh' with action 'ERROR_MOUNT'.

Hi,

i refreshed the login credentials on the remote unraid server. now it works. Strange 🙂

9 hours ago, dlandon said:

rootshare.thumb.png.ce4e471ff24e41e29d0618256a8c144e.png

Where is this screen located?  I am seeing the rootshare being created under /mnt and it is causing an error in "Fix Common Problems"  I also have a rootshare, "unraid_root", that I have manually created and would like to replace it with this one.

1 minute ago, morreale said:

Where is this screen located?

UD webpage.  Click the 'Add Rootshare' button.

1 minute ago, morreale said:

I am seeing the rootshare being created under /mnt and it is causing an error in "Fix Common Problems"

FCP needs to be updated to ignore the /mnt/rootshare folder.

2 minutes ago, morreale said:

I also have a rootshare, "unraid_root", that I have manually created and would like to replace it with this one.

Remove yours and add a rootshare in UD.

Hello everyone, 

Since the last update I can't mount my backup drive anymore.

image.thumb.png.4e6393de6154734c184ee2a6cf5225f0.png

I don't know what went wrong. In the past everytime I attached this drive it was automatically mounted and I was able to backup my data onto this drive. Now when I try to access it I get an error message like "/bin/ls: cannot open directory '.': Input/output error".

The drive is encrypted with the same passphrase as the array is.

I also do not know what this button means where normaly the "unmount" or "mount" button is located.

Many thanks in advance.

Edit: unRAID Version 6.9.2, UD Version 2022.03.11

Edited by SynIQ
8 hours ago, SynIQ said:

Hello everyone, 

Since the last update I can't mount my backup drive anymore.

image.thumb.png.4e6393de6154734c184ee2a6cf5225f0.png

I don't know what went wrong. In the past everytime I attached this drive it was automatically mounted and I was able to backup my data onto this drive. Now when I try to access it I get an error message like "/bin/ls: cannot open directory '.': Input/output error".

The drive is encrypted with the same passphrase as the array is.

I also do not know what this button means where normaly the "unmount" or "mount" button is located.

Many thanks in advance.

Edit: unRAID Version 6.9.2, UD Version 2022.03.11

That will happen when the drive is removed without unmounting it first, and then when it is subsequently re-installed Linux assignes a new sdX designation and Unraid does not see the disk as unassigned.  You'll need to reboot.

23 minutes ago, dlandon said:

That will happen when the drive is removed withouot unmounting it first, and then when it is subsequently re-installed Linux assignes a new sdX designation and Unraid does not see the disk as unassigned.  You'll need to reboot.

Many thanks. It works now. 

I'm sorry, it was my fault. Another great example for correlation and not causality.

Thank you so much :)