Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

1 hour ago, Caennanu said:

so . . . i finally got around to setting up the rootshare with UD.

Even tho it succesfully created, have set and checked SMB security settings, i cannot connect to it.

Other shares work fine (yes i've disconnected them prior to trying to mount the UD root share). I'm prompted with a login, after filling this out, the network path cannot be reached?

What are your UD security settings?

5 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

It's very hard to review your log when it is clogged with these messages:

Mar 18 12:56:15 Bigboii kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
Mar 18 12:56:15 Bigboii kernel: [Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required.
Mar 18 12:56:15 Bigboii kernel: [Hardware Error]: CPU:0 (17:31:0) MC18_STATUS[Over|CE|MiscV|AddrV|-|-|SyndV|CECC|-|-|-]: 0xdc2040000000011b
Mar 18 12:56:15 Bigboii kernel: [Hardware Error]: Error Addr: 0x0000000057ffdd40
Mar 18 12:56:15 Bigboii kernel: [Hardware Error]: IPID: 0x0000009600150f00, Syndrome: 0x149901000a800500
Mar 18 12:56:15 Bigboii kernel: [Hardware Error]: Unified Memory Controller Ext. Error Code: 0, DRAM ECC error.
Mar 18 12:56:15 Bigboii kernel: EDAC MC0: 1 CE on mc#0csrow#0channel#1 (csrow:0 channel:1 page:0x1afff7 offset:0x540 grain:64 syndrome:0x100)
Mar 18 12:56:15 Bigboii kernel: [Hardware Error]: cache level: L3/GEN, tx: GEN, mem-tx: RD
Mar 18 13:01:43 Bigboii kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
Mar 18 13:01:43 Bigboii kernel: [Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required.
Mar 18 13:01:43 Bigboii kernel: [Hardware Error]: CPU:0 (17:31:0) MC18_STATUS[Over|CE|MiscV|AddrV|-|-|SyndV|CECC|-|-|-]: 0xdc2040000000011b
Mar 18 13:01:43 Bigboii kernel: [Hardware Error]: Error Addr: 0x0000000057ddb800
Mar 18 13:01:43 Bigboii kernel: [Hardware Error]: IPID: 0x0000009600150f00, Syndrome: 0x149901000a800500
Mar 18 13:01:43 Bigboii kernel: [Hardware Error]: Unified Memory Controller Ext. Error Code: 0, DRAM ECC error.
Mar 18 13:01:43 Bigboii kernel: EDAC MC0: 1 CE on mc#0csrow#0channel#1 (csrow:0 channel:1 page:0x1af76e offset:0x100 grain:64 syndrome:0x100)
Mar 18 13:01:43 Bigboii kernel: [Hardware Error]: cache level: L3/GEN, tx: GEN, mem-tx: RD

1 minute ago, JonathanM said:

Are you saying replacing the faulty stick of RAM won't stop the error?

No . . .  but you kinda have to have the ability to do so. Which i do not currently have. And since everything is working just fine with it in there, i can always take it out if it actually does become a problem. It's marked, labeled and tagged.

But having the ability to filter these things from actually going to the log, will help others with actual issues, helps me not seeing all the crap i'm already aware off, and well, frankly if i don't want something, i should be able to not have it. We're not on windows, right?

May I issue a feature request:

I recently learned that UD allows to mount and unmount disks and shares thru commands like the following on 6.10+:

/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount //192.168.178.101/disk1
/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned umount //192.168.178.101/disk1

Would it be possible to add "create" and "drop/delete" of shares as well - secured behind the "Destructive Mode" of course:

/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned create Linux|Windows IP|hostname user password domain share
--> /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned create "Windows" "192.168.178.101" "hawihoney" "********" "" "disk1"

/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned drop SOUCE
--> /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned drop //192.168.178.101/disk1

IMHO six dialogs to create one SMB share in UD are way to much.

My main Server consists of three SC846 Chassis. All disk shares of the JBODs are registered in UD of the main server. Took me two hours Yesterday to create all SMB entries. In command script it would have taken two minutes or so.

It's a Corner Case I know. IMHO if you already have such a tool, why not add all possible entry points in there.

Edited by hawihoney

27 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

SMB extra conf changing on reboot. I'm not sure if this is an RC4 issue or if the original had some syntax issue that the system was correcting. These settings are taken directly from flash.

Prior to reboot-

#unassigned_devices_start
#Unassigned devices share includes
   include = /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-settings.conf
#unassigned_devices_end
#macOS config start
   server multi channel support = no
#macOS config end
#vfs_recycle_start
#Recycle bin configuration
[global]
   syslog only = Yes
   syslog = 0
   logging = 0
   log level = 0 vfs:0
#vfs_recycle_end
#macOS config start
   vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
   fruit:nfs_aces = no
   fruit:zero_file_id = yes
   fruit:metadata = stream
   fruit:encoding = native
   spotlight backend = tracker

[Media]
   path = /mnt/user/Media
   veto files = /._*/.DS_Store/
   delete veto files = yes
   spotlight = yes
#macOS config end

After reboot-

#unassigned_devices_start
#Unassigned devices share includes
   include = /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-settings.conf
#unassigned_devices_end
#macOS config start
   server multi channel support = no
#macOS config end
#macOS config start
   vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
   fruit:nfs_aces = no
   fruit:zero_file_id = yes
   fruit:metadata = stream
   fruit:encoding = native
   spotlight backend = tracker

[Media]
   path = /mnt/user/Media
   veto files = /._*/.DS_Store/
   delete veto files = yes
   spotlight = yes
#macOS config end
#vfs_recycle_start
#Recycle bin configuration
[global]
   syslog only = Yes
   syslog = 0
   logging = 0
   log level = 0 vfs:0
#vfs_recycle_end

I'm really over my head with this so maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that these changes make a significant difference for [global] settings and not sure why they are getting changed on flash.

brunnhilde-diagnostics-20220320-0910.zip

13 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The vfs_recycle entry was changed by the recycle bin plugin.  You'll see the entry moved to the end of the file.  It contains a [global] tag that probably changed your settings.  Did you remove and re-install the the recycle bin plugin?  Let's move this discussion to the recycle bin plugin forum.

Just now, wgstarks said:

I copied the previous conversation to this thread.

As I posted previously, I'm not much on SMB but this automated change definitely affected my server. How should I arrange the SMB extras file to avoid this? Should I make 2 separate [global] entries?

Just now, wgstarks said:

I'm not much on SMB but this automated change definitely affected my server. How should I arrange the SMB extras file to avoid this? Should I make 2 separate [global] entries?

Put it back the way you had it that worked.  The update I'm issuing won't move the vfs_recycle entry.

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, dlandon said:

How many remote shares are you adding?

44 disk shares multiplied by 6 dialogs per share to confirm on my laptop.

I'm going pure disk shares, no user shares. It's working like that since years and it's working perfect. At no single point, in many years, did unneeded disks spin up to just find a content. This 1:1 connection between the physical disks, their content and the applications that hold the targets is the best one can do IMHO.

However. As a retired developer I would have put every entry point into "/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned". I mean, you need to create the SMB shares yourself. Why not offer it to the open like mount/umount?

It's just an idea. Now that I have changed everything from my own mount commands to UD SMB mounts it's not likely that I will need to do that again ;-) But others, perhaps.

1 minute ago, hawihoney said:

44 disk shares multiplied by 6 dialogs per share to confirm on my laptop.

All of this through your network?  Are you using a 10GB network?  If not, you probaly should re-think your approach.

3 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

However. As a retired developer I would have put every entry point into "/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned". I mean, you need to create the SMB shares yourself. Why not offer it to the open like mount/umount?

Because there is no need for this feature to any users except possibly yourself.

7 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

It's just an idea. Now that I have changed everything from my own mount commands to UD SMB mounts it's not likely that I will need to do that again

Be sure you have a flash backup so you don't have to do this again.

17 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Are you using a 10GB network?

The DAS (Direct Attached Storages) are connected thru SFF-8644/SFF-8088 cables. Main server hosts 1x LSI 9300-8i and 2x LSI 9300-8e for each DAS.

Because of the Unraid limit (one array) the DAS are Unraid VMs running on Unraid. Would love to consolidate that to one shiny Main Unraid Server.

Current view from the back. It's one server:

Clipboard01.jpg.d8f5e6ed0187c5d0f08ec9ca58dab1a1.thumb.jpg.5ddee42904bc70b41303840b95d31277.jpg

• Like 1

Hello,

I am trying to mount a drive that was replaced from my unraid array. This was a 1 TB drive and I upgraded it to a 4TB drive. Now I am trying to mount it for a few sessions of preclear before I sell it off. I get this error:

Mar 22 14:15:18 DataServer unassigned.devices: Adding partition 'sde1'...
Mar 22 14:15:18 DataServer unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sde1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/WD-WCATR3618670'...
Mar 22 14:15:18 DataServer unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t 'xfs' -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sde1' '/mnt/disks/WD-WCATR3618670'
Mar 22 14:15:18 DataServer kernel: XFS (sde1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID 86d5ba5a-da9c-4a92-b957-a690997ffded - can't mount
Mar 22 14:15:18 DataServer unassigned.devices: Mount of 'sde1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/WD-WCATR3618670: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.