Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

A change was made to UD to not allow a Root Share if disk shares was turned on.  It was changed to not enable Root Share unless disk sharing was set to "No".  Since "Auto" is the default now (this one got past me as I have an old system with old defaults), UD thinks disk sharing is turned on.

The problem with disk sharing being on in a Root Share is a copy from a disk share to a user share can cause problems.  I also found in my testing that deleting files when disk shares is turned on crashed shfs when the recycle bin plugin was running.

Probably the best answer here is to enable the "Add Root Share" button and show a message in the first dialog about turning off disk sharing so a user can make that change.

• Like 1

Update fails on 6.10.0-rc4

plugin: updating: unassigned.devices.plg
plugin: downloading: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices-2022.03.24.tgz" ... done
plugin: bad file MD5: /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices-2022.03.24.tgz

11 minutes ago, sabertooth said:

Update fails on 6.10.0-rc4

plugin: updating: unassigned.devices.plg
plugin: downloading: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices-2022.03.24.tgz" ... done
plugin: bad file MD5: /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices-2022.03.24.tgz

You caught me in the middle of releasing the update and there was a missing MD5.  Try again.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

A change was made to UD to not allow a Root Share if disk shares was turned on.  It was changed to not enable Root Share unless disk sharing was set to "No".  Since "Auto" is the default now (this one got past me as I have an old system with old defaults), UD thinks disk sharing is turned on.

The problem with disk sharing being on in a Root Share is a copy from a disk share to a user share can cause problems.  I also found in my testing that deleting files when disk shares is turned on crashed shfs when the recycle bin plugin was running.

Probably the best answer here is to enable the "Add Root Share" button and show a message in the first dialog about turning off disk sharing so a user can make that change.

Lovely, all working now. Thanks!

I just added a second 1tb ssd as a cache and set it to raid0 (all my important data is on the array with dual parity).  It went pretty smoothly, but i couldn't get back into plex.  I noticed that my unassigned drive that i keep my plex app data on wasn't mounted and the name had changed from:

image.thumb.png.185c236c9092c8cdc70136018269e72a.png

to:

image.thumb.png.61f88430273f846bd622d1da7153f4ca.png

I've never had a unassigned device not automatically mount and also i have no idea why it changed from "Plex_appdata" to the drives serial number.  Makes me a little worried....i was able to change it back to "Plex_appdata" and Plex pop'd back up, but now i'm a little worried.  

3 hours ago, danimal86 said:

I just added a second 1tb ssd as a cache and set it to raid0 (all my important data is on the array with dual parity).  It went pretty smoothly, but i couldn't get back into plex.  I noticed that my unassigned drive that i keep my plex app data on wasn't mounted and the name had changed from:

image.thumb.png.185c236c9092c8cdc70136018269e72a.png

to:

image.thumb.png.61f88430273f846bd622d1da7153f4ca.png

I've never had a unassigned device not automatically mount and also i have no idea why it changed from "Plex_appdata" to the drives serial number.  Makes me a little worried....i was able to change it back to "Plex_appdata" and Plex pop'd back up, but now i'm a little worried.  

Sounds as if the configuration for the device was deleted or lost from your flash.  Did you accidently delete the disk configuration in the Historical devices?

It's nothing to worry about.  What you did is all you have to do.  When this happens nothing is lost on your disk, it's just that UD lost your mount point setting.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Sounds as if the configuration for the device was deleted or lost from your flash.  Did you accidently delete the disk configuration in the Historical devices?

It's nothing to worry about.  What you did is all you have to do.  When this happens nothing is lost on your disk, it's just that UD lost your mount point setting.

Thats really interesting.  I didn't really mess with the flash drive, so i'm not sure.  It should automatically mount the UD when the array start?

53 minutes ago, danimal86 said:

Thats really interesting.  I didn't really mess with the flash drive, so i'm not sure.  It should automatically mount the UD when the array start?

If the disk settings are removed the auto mount defaults to 'off'.  You'd have to set it to 'on' to auto mount the disk.

Something must have changed with the latest UD release, that refuses my disks to share itself. It worked all the time, up until 2022.03.24. Whatever I do, it's not shared at all. What happens here?

Had to change a settings, Apply, and had to change that same setting back to its original value confirmed by Apply. Then it worked again.

image.thumb.png.37d6441e6bb7873950ec5ba9ee808cba.png

Edited by hawihoney

unable to mount my drive anymore

running UD  2022.03.24. 

Mar 25 17:52:03 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Mount of 'transport_data' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/transport_data: special device /dev/mapper/transport_data does not exist. '
Mar 25 17:52:10 mitchsserver root: error: /webGui/include/ProcessStatus.php: wrong csrf_token
Mar 25 17:52:18 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Mount of 'transport_data' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/transport_data: special device /dev/mapper/transport_data does not exist. '

spinner drive couldnt be mounted either

Mar 25 17:52:03 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Mount of 'transport_data' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/transport_data: special device /dev/mapper/transport_data does not exist. '
Mar 25 17:52:10 mitchsserver root: error: /webGui/include/ProcessStatus.php: wrong csrf_token
Mar 25 17:52:18 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Mount of 'transport_data' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/transport_data: special device /dev/mapper/transport_data does not exist. '
Mar 25 17:56:36 mitchsserver ntpd[1748]: frequency error 868 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM
Mar 25 18:06:11 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS error (device sdd1): devid 1 uuid 5be4c804-26b8-4b18-9454-aec4c376ea38 is missing
Mar 25 18:06:11 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS error (device sdd1): failed to read the system array: -2
Mar 25 18:06:11 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS error (device sdd1): open_ctree failed
Mar 25 18:06:11 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Mount of 'sdd1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/WD-WCAZA2404054: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdd1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. '
Mar 25 18:06:16 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS error (device sdd1): devid 1 uuid 5be4c804-26b8-4b18-9454-aec4c376ea38 is missing
Mar 25 18:06:16 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS error (device sdd1): failed to read the system array: -2
Mar 25 18:06:16 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS error (device sdd1): open_ctree failed
Mar 25 18:06:16 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Mount of 'sdd1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/WD-WCAZA2404054: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdd1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. '
Mar 25 18:06:28 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Mount of 'transport_data' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/transport_data: special device /dev/mapper/transport_data does not exist. '

mitchsserver-diagnostics-20220325-1754.zip

Edited by comet424
15 minutes ago, comet424 said:

unable to mount my drive anymore

running UD  2022.03.24. 

mitchsserver-diagnostics-20220325-1754.zip 85.02 kB · 0 downloads

UD is using the Unraid api to open the LUKS disk:

Mar 25 17:52:01 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Using Unraid api to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.

Is the disk password/pass phrase the same as your array?  It appears not because the device was not opened:

You can set a specific password for this disk in UD settings.

1 minute ago, comet424 said:

oh maybe i did practice the btrfs encrypted.. let me try...

spinner drive wont even mount anymore and its not password protected  but ill tryt the password for the ssd

The spinner has a file system problem.  Try a file system check.

9 minutes ago, comet424 said:

ok the SSD mounted.. i been trying to learn  this encrypted stuff.  always learning

how do i run the file check?   i dont do this everyday  so i forget what is what 

Click on the '+' to show the partition, then click on the check mark to the left.  Hover your mouse over the icons and the tooltip will explain what each icon does.

so i tried.. there is no  Tool Tip for the White Check mark    as u cant mount the drive  the drive log  i didnt copy it all.. so hovering over the check mark doesnt tell me how to check the file system of the drive.. and how to repair it

Mar 25 18:36:58 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS error (device sdd1): devid 1 uuid 5be4c804-26b8-4b18-9454-aec4c376ea38 is missing
Mar 25 18:36:58 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS error (device sdd1): failed to read the system array: -2
Mar 25 18:36:58 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS error (device sdd1): open_ctree failed
Mar 25 18:36:58 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Mount of 'sdd1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/WD-WCAZA2404054: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdd1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. '
Mar 25 18:51:59 mitchsserver emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sdd
Mar 25 20:54:12 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Adding partition 'sdd1'...
Mar 25 20:54:12 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sdd1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/WD-WCAZA2404054'...
Mar 25 20:54:12 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t 'btrfs' -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdd1' '/mnt/disks/WD-WCAZA2404054'
Mar 25 20:54:18 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS info (device sdd1): using free space tree
Mar 25 20:54:18 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS info (device sdd1): has skinny extents
Mar 25 20:54:18 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS error (device sdd1): devid 1 uuid 5be4c804-26b8-4b18-9454-aec4c376ea38 is missing
Mar 25 20:54:18 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS error (device sdd1): failed to read the system array: -2
Mar 25 20:54:18 mitchsserver kernel: BTRFS error (device sdd1): open_ctree failed
Mar 25 20:54:18 mitchsserver emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdd
Mar 25 20:54:18 mitchsserver unassigned.devices: Mount of 'sdd1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/WD-WCAZA2404054: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdd1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. '

Edited by comet424

check mark its unclickable  when its white.. unable to check the file system  if i cant mount it, as  your steps was to check the file system before you mount it.. but white check mark does nothing

oh ok.. ya i think it was just a spare drive from another unraid i had  and shoved it in my sisters box to use..  but that was last year so i didnt remember... ya if its part of data disk then ya i dont need it.. i dont use unraid all the time  its a set it and forget it.. so  i appreciate you guys that know it 100% as i know it 5% lol   

i wish i stuck with linux 20 yrs ago i just hated linux in 2000 and later Redhat gui and command line cisco in 2000. should have stuck with it all instead of just windows lol

ill format it then 🙂

udb.PNG

Edited by comet424

Hello,

My UPS shut down for no apparent reason, and when my Unraid server came back up, the three disks I had as unassigned devices all show "format" instead of "mount", with no file system noted.

They were previously formatted, mounted, tested, and then spun down, as I hadn't yet decided how I was going to use them.

I'm pretty sure one was xfs and the other two were NTFS.

I can reformat as I'm not losing anything, but why would this happen?

Is there any other way to get the system to recognize them without reformatting?

One of them, which used to be an array disk, is also showing in its log info:

Mar 26 11:10:11 Robert root: /usr/sbin/wsdd -i bro
Mar 26 11:10:11 Robert wsdd[5646]: Invalid interface name bro

I think I may have had a share set on that one to backup some data.

The other two aren't showing this, but still otherwise only allow formatting.

Unraid 6.9.2, latest UD (updated after restart today, just in case).  I did try a restart, but it made no difference.

Edit: Diagnostics attached.  

image.thumb.png.b186b168effdf87bbc1737274b68e5eb.png

robert-diagnostics-20220326-1215.zip

Edited by CSwain