Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

33 minutes ago, jsgilly20 said:

When did your remote shares last work?  What version of Unraid and UD?  There have been no changes in UD in SMB mounting for a long time.

Unfortunately, I think your NAS bay is just too old.  SMB1 has a lot of security issues and is not recommended to use any longer.

Note: I think you have mover logging turned on.  It is clogging your syslog.  If you don't need it, you should turn it off.

37 minutes ago, dlandon said:

When did your remote shares last work?  What version of Unraid and UD?  There have been no changes in UD in SMB mounting for a long time.

Unfortunately, I think your NAS bay is just too old.  SMB1 has a lot of security issues and is not recommended to use any longer.

Note: I think you have mover logging turned on.  It is clogging your syslog.  If you don't need it, you should turn it off.

They were working as recent as 2 days ago, may have been sooner but i've not accessed anything on them more recently.

I'm on 6.10.0 Unraid and 2022.05.19 of UD.

If I had to hedge a bet, I think they were atleast working before I upgraded to 6.10.0 and the most recent updates to UD.

I'll turn mover logging off - thanks for the note!

Unfortunately buying a new NAS enclosure isn't an option for me at the moment, I'll see if there's any custom firmware for my NAS that can bring it up to date with SMB 3 and try that approach to fix in the mean time.

22 minutes ago, jsgilly20 said:

They were working as recent as 2 days ago, may have been sooner but i've not accessed anything on them more recently.

I'm on 6.10.0 Unraid and 2022.05.19 of UD.

If I had to hedge a bet, I think they were atleast working before I upgraded to 6.10.0 and the most recent updates to UD.

I'll turn mover logging off - thanks for the note!

Unfortunately buying a new NAS enclosure isn't an option for me at the moment, I'll see if there's any custom firmware for my NAS that can bring it up to date with SMB 3 and try that approach to fix in the mean time.

What version of Unraid and UD did you update from?

9 minutes ago, jsgilly20 said:

Unraid version 9.2 and I'm not sure on UD version but it was always kept up to date. Sorry that's not much help.

Can you roll back to 9.2 and let me know if it works?  I suspect changes to SMB in the Unraid 6.10.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Can you roll back to 9.2 and let me know if it works?  I suspect changes to SMB in the Unraid 6.10.

Ok so now it's working!

Rolling back by itself didn't fix it, carried on with the same problem.

A mixture of NAS firmware changes, disabling WSB in SMB settings - I don't actually know how if this used to be disabled prior but it was currently enabled, maybe this changed with 6.10? I then cycled the array down and a server and NAS reboot or two and we were able to successfully mount again.

For tonight I'm going to leave it working, when I have time I'll go through the upgrade to 6.10 again and properly track any changes to SMB settings etc. 

Thanks very much for your help on it today, much appreciated!

1 hour ago, jsgilly20 said:

Ok so now it's working!

Rolling back by itself didn't fix it, carried on with the same problem.

A mixture of NAS firmware changes, disabling WSB in SMB settings - I don't actually know how if this used to be disabled prior but it was currently enabled, maybe this changed with 6.10? I then cycled the array down and a server and NAS reboot or two and we were able to successfully mount again.

For tonight I'm going to leave it working, when I have time I'll go through the upgrade to 6.10 again and properly track any changes to SMB settings etc. 

Thanks very much for your help on it today, much appreciated!

Wsdd is not needed for SMB1, as you found out.  It is used for Windows browsing if NetBIOS is not used.

its little complicated. Its for my proFTPd.. ive mounted a UD folder to be available over my FTP. Actually after restart the server i have to rename one share, after that im able to mount my UD HDD then i rename the share back to its original name

Edited by Gee1
46 minutes ago, Gee1 said:

its little complicated. Its for my proFTPd.. ive mounted a UD folder to be available over my FTP. Actually after restart the server i have to rename one share, after that im able to mount my UD HDD then i rename the share back to its original name

Why would you need to rename a share?

10 minutes ago, Gee1 said:

cause i have to mount manually a UD dir into \\tower\01_root\mnt\user

Why that path? Seems odd to have \mnt\user as part of the path. Of course, /mnt/user is where the Unraid user shares are, but that isn't exposed over the network, and in any case, the path you specified can't have anything to do with user shares. That path seems unnecessarily complicated for whatever purpose you have.

my proFTPd configuration only have access to mnt/user.. so when i will an UD folder to be available to proFTPd i have to mount it in user folder.. it works fine except the restart thing.. but otherwise its not a big deal for me cause i only restart for new major updates every few months

Hi,

(Not sure if what I am experiencing is related to this issue.)

For me, nothing has changed other than auto-updating Unraid plugins. Unraid is 6.9.1. UD plugin 2022.05.19. UD+ plugin 2022.05.17. Uptime is 19+ days (I had a much longer runtime, but sorted my equipment a couple weeks ago :) ). No drives removed or inserted recently.

My unassigned devices appear to be mounted and readable/writeable in dockers/SMB/etc ... but the GUI tells a different story. 

SPCCxxxxxx drive appears in Historical Devices and appears to be the exact same name? I noticed in comments about spaces/underscores, but mine are the same?

WDCxxxxx drive does NOT appear in Historical Devices. 

trailer is a device I use in-frequently, little HDD for my media server in camping trailer. Not worried about that one today. Is not plugged in currently. Has not been plugged in for year-ish

Just want to understand how to fix this. 

1. Stop dockers using these devices

2. Remove from Historical

3. I cannot click the pencil icon to edit the name? Will I be able to after it is removed from Historical?

4. Reconfigure 

5. What about the WDCxxxxx drive that is not under Historical?

Capture.thumb.PNG.2fa6767b00b6a1271c6d5d36d2c22453.PNG

Edited by glassbase
3 hours ago, glassbase said:

Hi,

(Not sure if what I am experiencing is related to this issue.)

For me, nothing has changed other than auto-updating Unraid plugins. Unraid is 6.9.1. UD plugin 2022.05.19. UD+ plugin 2022.05.17. Uptime is 19+ days (I had a much longer runtime, but sorted my equipment a couple weeks ago :) ). No drives removed or inserted recently.

My unassigned devices appear to be mounted and readable/writeable in dockers/SMB/etc ... but the GUI tells a different story. 

SPCCxxxxxx drive appears in Historical Devices and appears to be the exact same name? I noticed in comments about spaces/underscores, but mine are the same?

WDCxxxxx drive does NOT appear in Historical Devices. 

trailer is a device I use in-frequently, little HDD for my media server in camping trailer. Not worried about that one today. Is not plugged in currently. Has not been plugged in for year-ish

Just want to understand how to fix this. 

1. Stop dockers using these devices

2. Remove from Historical

3. I cannot click the pencil icon to edit the name? Will I be able to after it is removed from Historical?

4. Reconfigure 

5. What about the WDCxxxxx drive that is not under Historical?

Capture.thumb.PNG.2fa6767b00b6a1271c6d5d36d2c22453.PNG

The device in UD and Historical devices are one in the same.  With the new naming scheme the UD disk has "_Disk_", that the Historical device does not.  Your procedure is correct.  To change the mount pinint, unmount the device, you can then change the name.

The WDCxxxxx did not get renamed.