Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 minutes ago, user12345678 said:

I rebooted 7 times (excessive, I know) and it looks like this did the trick. 

I also noticed the drives aren't 'jumping around' anymore among 'Dev n' nor '/dev/sd[n]' assignments, does this also stabilize that in some way? Or perhaps that's just a 7x coincidence...

You can assign an alias name to replace the 'Dev X' designation and the name will not change even if the 'Dev X' changes.  Click on the device settings (three gear icon) and assign a name of your choice,  A benefit of this is that your devices with assigned alias names will be sorted.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

You can assign an alias name to replace the 'Dev X' designation

I found that already, posted about it a little ways up (asking if the names on the dashboard could match) :)

Ok, knowing that /dev/sd[n] assignments are fundamentally unpredictable I'll just assume a 7x coincidence.

In any case, my issue is resolved and I kindly thank you for the help!

Edited by user12345678
added quote to keep track of the conversation
7 minutes ago, comet424 said:

what does the reboot mean?  before  it was cant mount.. now its reboot.. it seems to be this 1 hard drive i always have issues with 

whats going on  i unmount and hit the spin down the drive before i remove it..  does it say anything

is something wrong with the hard drive  or is the using the star tech enclosures?

What the "Reboot" indicator on the Mount button means is that the device was removed before being unmounted.  A reboot is the only way to fix it.  This can happen when a disk is physically unplugged, or the connection drops.  Your log is full of disk errors indicating that the device dropped offline or was disconnected.

This is an example:

Jun  4 12:22:19 Tardis ntfs-3g[15010]: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Jun  4 12:22:19 Tardis ntfs-3g[15010]: Failed to read vcn 0x0 from inode 5: Input/output error
Jun  4 12:22:19 Tardis ntfs-3g[15010]: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Jun  4 12:22:19 Tardis ntfs-3g[15010]: Failed to read vcn 0x0 from inode 5: Input/output error
Jun  4 12:22:19 Tardis kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdn1, logical block 183141285, async page read

You may have cable or enclosure issues.

ah ok  ill try a different cable.. as i  unmount and then  usually spin the drive down..   as i havent been unplugging the drive..  and i thought the unraid 6.10 was supposed to solve that issue u could add remove the drive without mounting  and didnt need a reboot..

ill try a new cable then.... start from there it gets frustrating  cuz i make sure to unmount then least spin down...

and its hard to tell cuz cable looks fine  and the enclosure doesnt say nothing and smart shows nothing..

guess best to try a new cable....

is there a setting in unassigned devices.. that keeps changing hwmonX

i start off with hwmon0  for fans... if i add drives...  and reboot unraid then   hwmon  changes to 1 or 2

and buggers upexclude drives check marks

i thought in 6.10  unraid was able to do better at hard drive labeling  or is it just the plugin.. or is there something else

cuz if i put the ud drives back  and reboot  and the hwmon  goes back to 0  and the fans are fine... is there anything i can do?  or just ask in general chat?

12 minutes ago, comet424 said:

is there a setting in unassigned devices.. that keeps changing hwmonX

i start off with hwmon0  for fans... if i add drives...  and reboot unraid then   hwmon  changes to 1 or 2

and buggers upexclude drives check marks

i thought in 6.10  unraid was able to do better at hard drive labeling  or is it just the plugin.. or is there something else

cuz if i put the ud drives back  and reboot  and the hwmon  goes back to 0  and the fans are fine... is there anything i can do?  or just ask in general chat?

I don't use the fans plugin so I don't know what you are referring to with the 'hwmonX'.  What designation does the fans plugin use to monitor the disk device?

the hwmon  is the hardware monitor from the unraid sensors

i guess like  

sda1  sda2 etc but the sensors for your temperatures  and fan speeds 

i guess i can ask in general..    cuz it always changes when i change the ud drives  in all versions

its like each boot up the like sda1  or what not change   its never the same  

19 minutes ago, comet424 said:

the hwmon  is the hardware monitor from the unraid sensors

i guess like  

sda1  sda2 etc but the sensors for your temperatures  and fan speeds 

i guess i can ask in general..    cuz it always changes when i change the ud drives  in all versions

its like each boot up the like sda1  or what not change   its never the same  

Correct, the sdX designations can change after each reboot.  It's handled by Linux, not Unraid.

I updated to 6.10.2 and upon restart my Unassigned Devices are not showing up in SMB shares.

I have 2 unassigned disks that I export as shares. Here's one of the disk's script logs (I'm not sure if it looked like this before)

Devices are mounted properly as far as I can tell. GUI and shell let me view contents. I just can't get to \\unraid\cache3

Screenshots of everything I could think of to attach.  Plus system log tail of last 1k lines.

more-settings.png

smb-settings-conf-screenshot.png

smb-settings.png

log.png

gui.png

ls.png

log.txt

26 minutes ago, dlandon said:

It looks like you haven't enbled SMB security in UD Settings.

Both disks show up but it will not accept my username/password.  When I enter unraid\username it just says "nope".  When I enter username, it asks for me to choose a cert from work which has NOTHING to do with my unraid.

user-ford.png

smb-sec.png

denied-denied.png

un-denied.png

slash-denied.png

Edited by fordfox

Hi, I am trying to set a device script to run after automounting. 

I switched on automounting for the device (works fine) then set a filename in the

Device Script: /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/scripts/import-script

paste the script in the big text-area and click save at the bottom of the page.

I can see the file is in place and generated with the script in-place with permissions

-rw------- 1 root root  5189 Jun  4 11:25 import-script

In the /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg I see the following "suspicious" entry 

command.1 = "/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/packages/"

I unmount then automount... script has not run.

I open the settings again, Device Script shows packages folder.

I switch to the scripts folder, no file is shown for selection.

What am I doing wrong?

1 hour ago, sdfyjert said:

Hi, I am trying to set a device script to run after automounting. 

I switched on automounting for the device (works fine) then set a filename in the

Device Script: /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/scripts/import-script

paste the script in the big text-area and click save at the bottom of the page.

I can see the file is in place and generated with the script in-place with permissions

-rw------- 1 root root  5189 Jun  4 11:25 import-script

In the /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg I see the following "suspicious" entry 

command.1 = "/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/packages/"

I unmount then automount... script has not run.

I open the settings again, Device Script shows packages folder.

I switch to the scripts folder, no file is shown for selection.

What am I doing wrong?

Post diagnostics and give a screen shot of the disk setting page where you are setting up the script.

Hi there,

I'm having issue with an external USB HDD.

I plug it in and it appears in unassigned devices, but I'm unable to mount the drive. It only has the format option.

I know the drive is fine because I can access the data when I plug it into my Windows machine.

My current work around it to pass it through to a VM in Unraid.

Disk log below.

kernel: sd 15:0:0:0: [sdl] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16).
kernel: sd 15:0:0:0: [sdl] 35156590592 512-byte logical blocks: (18.0 TB/16.4 TiB)
kernel: sd 15:0:0:0: [sdl] 4096-byte physical blocks
kernel: sd 15:0:0:0: [sdl] Write Protect is off
kernel: sd 15:0:0:0: [sdl] Mode Sense: 47 00 10 08
kernel: sd 15:0:0:0: [sdl] No Caching mode page found
kernel: sd 15:0:0:0: [sdl] Assuming drive cache: write through
kernel: sd 15:0:0:0: [sdl] Attached SCSI disk
emhttpd: WD_Elements_25A3_546456468464654-0:0 (sdl) 512 35156590592
emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdl