Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

12 hours ago, dlandon said:

Linux does not see any partitions on the disk.  How was the disk originally formatted?

If you want to use it with UD, you'll need to clear it off and format it with UD.

I thought I formatted it with UD after I ran a preclear on it.

I'll try formatting it again. Thanks.

I was holding off on updating to Unraid 6.10.3 but finally did this morning.  After updating I thought the mounting of remote drives was broken due to the update so I went back to 6.10.2 but realized the sharing was still broke.  I can't confirm when the issue first started but it can't be more than a few days to maybe a week since I use Plex and it worked before one of the plugin updates.  Now Plex can't find the folders since they are not mounted.

I am trying to share locations between two Unraid servers.  From a windows machine I can see and access all folders located on both servers but when when trying to mount the folders, I keep getting similar errors as above

Jun 25 13:40:35 Reveille kernel: CIFS: VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation.
Jun 25 13:40:35 Reveille kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -4
Jun 25 13:40:35 Reveille unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/sbin/mount -t 'cifs' -o rw,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=1.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_Reveille Unraid Backups' '//RANGER/Reveille Unraid Backups' '/mnt/remotes/RANGER_Reveille Unraid Backups' 2>&1) took longer than 10s!
Jun 25 13:40:35 Reveille unassigned.devices: SMB 1.0 mount failed: 'command timed out'.

I have messed with the SMB settings like making sure it was set to 'Public" in the UD gui but still nothing.  When I go to add the share, I can see the server, but when click on "load shares" nothing is found.  No passwords should be set as it currently sits for the shares.

I have attached diagnostics from both servers for reference.  I appreciate any guidance you can provide.  I have been using Unraid for a few years but I don't know all the intricacies about it so if you need additional information or have suggestions please elaborate the best you can to help me out.

reveille-diagnostics-20220625-1442.zip ranger-diagnostics-20220625-1443.zip

56 minutes ago, olag00 said:

I was holding off on updating to Unraid 6.10.3 but finally did this morning.  After updating I thought the mounting of remote drives was broken due to the update so I went back to 6.10.2 but realized the sharing was still broke.  I can't confirm when the issue first started but it can't be more than a few days to maybe a week since I use Plex and it worked before one of the plugin updates.  Now Plex can't find the folders since they are not mounted.

You might want to check what you have for the SMB Security setting under Settings->Unassigned Devices.

16 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You might want to check what you have for the SMB Security setting under Settings->Unassigned Devices.

Everything seems to be the same on both machines.  I did mess with "enable SMB Security" setting and tried all the different options and currently sits at Public.  I can't remember if that is the default value or not.

ranger.PNG

Reveille.PNG

1 hour ago, olag00 said:

I keep getting similar errors as above

The mount command is timing out.  This is because the remote server cannot be reached.  Go to a command line and ping the remote server using the IP address.  If that doesn't work, you'll need to try to find the cause - network issue, bad network cable, NIC problem on one of the servers.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The mount command is timing out.  This is because the remote server cannot be reached.  Go to a command line and ping the remote server using the IP address.  If that doesn't work, you'll need to try to find the cause - network issue, bad network cable, NIC problem on one of the servers.

Everything seems to be ok on the network side.  I can access all folders on my windows machine.

image.png

image.png

25 minutes ago, olag00 said:

Also just to make sure both servers can see each other I pinged each one from the other's console:

image.png.d5a88158a9a0c2ab5d7ed0ec252ff91d.pngimage.png.b06bed120b61c2466c4d34c8e9d55007.png

You are using a Realtek r8169 NIC.  The Realtek NIC card driver has been a constant headache in Linux, and I'm wondering if that is causing your issues.  I'm not a NIC expert, so I can't offer anything to try to see if that is the problem.

I do have some suggestions on your network setup:

• Your servers should have static IP addresses.
  • You should specify a gateway IP address.  Probably your router.

You have several FCP issues you should solve:

Jun 25 13:11:02 Reveille root: Fix Common Problems Version 2022.05.30
Jun 25 13:11:02 Reveille root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Unable to communicate with GitHub.com
Jun 25 13:11:03 Reveille root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker application Jellyfin-AMD-Intel-Nvidia has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option

I think the unable to communicate with GitHub.com is related to your UD issues.

4 minutes ago, dlandon said:

You are using a Realtek r8169 NIC.  The Realtek NIC card driver has been a constant headache in Linux, and I'm wondering if that is causing your issues.  I'm not a NIC expert, so I can't offer anything to try to see if that is the problem.

I do have some suggestions on your network setup:

• Your servers should have static IP addresses.
  • You should specify a gateway IP address.  Probably your router.

You have several FCP issues you should solve:

Jun 25 13:11:02 Reveille root: Fix Common Problems Version 2022.05.30
Jun 25 13:11:02 Reveille root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Unable to communicate with GitHub.com
Jun 25 13:11:03 Reveille root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker application Jellyfin-AMD-Intel-Nvidia has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option

I think the unable to communicate with GitHub.com is related to your UD issues.

Currently do have static IPs for the servers and I use Pfsense for the router.  The issue with the Github is an internet issue where the internet drops connection intermittingly but the internal network remains unaffected.  I do have a technician coming out on Monday to try and figure out if the signal dropping is on the home side or their side.

The odd thing is I have not had any issues for the couple of years using Unraid with being able to access the folders through "add SMB share" so it seems it is due to a recent change.  I did look at my plex settings and the computer I connect to it and would have noticed it not working was 7 days ago.  There is recent activity from 3 days ago from a few other clients but I didn't get any notices saying it wasn't working.  

10 minutes ago, olag00 said:

Currently do have static IPs for the servers and I use Pfsense for the router.  The issue with the Github is an internet issue where the internet drops connection intermittingly but the internal network remains unaffected.  I do have a technician coming out on Monday to try and figure out if the signal dropping is on the home side or their side.

The odd thing is I have not had any issues for the couple of years using Unraid with being able to access the folders through "add SMB share" so it seems it is due to a recent change.  I did look at my plex settings and the computer I connect to it and would have noticed it not working was 7 days ago.  There is recent activity from 3 days ago from a few other clients but I didn't get any notices saying it wasn't working.  

Changes can occur with new versions of Unraid because of updates in the Linux Kernel.

45 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Changes can occur with new versions of Unraid because of updates in the Linux Kernel.

Only thing is I reverted back to before the Unraid update so it must be some other plugin update that broke it, maybe.  Guess I will just move my plex docker to the system where most of my movies are on instead of mounting that folder location until maybe a future plugin/unraid update unbreaks it.  And slowly move all the movies over to the one Unraid system and not rely on the folder mounting option.

I've noticed an issue recently, when I click on Disk Log Information, the popup comes up, but is blank except for the "Done" button.

I see unassigned.devices logging in Syslog.

When I click the Disk Log Information button, this error is generated in Syslog.

emhttpd: error: run_cmd, 882: No such file or directory (2): invalid cmd: /webGui/scripts/disk_log

15 minutes ago, gamerkonks said:

I've noticed an issue recently, when I click on Disk Log Information, the popup comes up, but is blank except for the "Done" button.

I see unassigned.devices logging in Syslog.

When I click the Disk Log Information button, this error is generated in Syslog.

emhttpd: error: run_cmd, 882: No such file or directory (2): invalid cmd: /webGui/scripts/disk_log

The disk log routine was changed in 6.10 so it fails because UD is still using the 6.9 disk log routine.  This is fixed in the next release of UD.

• Thanks 1

Issue: REMOTE SHARE CAN'T MOUNT BUT HAS MOUNT POINT NAME

I’m facing my first problem with Unassigned Devices plugin. Not so sure if the problem is really from UD but some of you will probably be able to help me. This is the first time I’m using Unraid and this is in an office context. I’m an self-trained network technician (but still struggle a bit).

Yesterday I succeeded in mounting a SMB remote share (from a shared folder located on Windows PC) to my Unraid server. But today I wanted to mount a shared remote drive from the same Windows PC to Unraid. I used the same Sharing settings (in Windows drive & folder) than previous day. I didn't update do any plugin update in the last 2 days as everything is up to date.

Here is my problem:

On the 2nd day, I was not able to mount the remote SMB share (drive or any new folder from Windows desktop) but I got a mount point name (see picture and share point called "PRODUCER-HELENS_audio"). I removed the SMB remote share and added it again but the result was the same (drive or folder was not able to mount to Unraid).

I have no clue why this happens. Hopefully one of you will be able to guide me towards a solution.

Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 5.24.11 pm.png

Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 5.50.47 pm.png

Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 5.50.39 pm.png

Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 5.51.15 pm.png

sunlightprime-diagnostics-20220628-1018.zip

The CIFS errors are very difficult to decipher because the error code seems to depend on the particular remote share server.  The best I can tell is you are getting a permissions error.  This can be from:

• Windows PC folder not being shared.
  • Windows PC folder not being shared with the specified user credentials.
  • Windows PC credentials don't match the UD credentials.  Try not to use special characters.  UD struggles with them.

What you can try is to setup the share again (you don't need to delete the prevous one).

• Tell UD to search for servers.
  • Enter your credentials.
  • Tell UD to search for the shares.  If the shares list, you have things set up right.  If not, there is an issue with sharing/permissions.

If that works, save it.  It will overwrite the previous settings and it should mount.

I've seen where a WIndows PC will update and folders being shared will be set not to share.

I've observed an issue with the plugin that is repeatable.

When trying to execute an extended SMART test (as part of my disk preparation methodology), the test will timeout (and never complete) as the disk is spun down after ~30 minutes (which I think is the normal unchangeable spin down delay for this plugin).

For some reason the long smart test does not constitute activity and prevent the spin down. I don't think this is expected behaviour.

unRAID version 6.10.3 Pro

Plugin version 2022.06.19 (with UAD Plus 2022.05.17 and UAD Preclear 2022.06.10 also installed)

Edited by danioj
13 minutes ago, danioj said:

I've observed an issue with the plugin that is repeatable.

When trying to execute an extended SMART test (as part of my disk preparation methodology), the test will timeout (and never complete) as the disk is spun down after ~30 minutes (which I think is the normal unchangeable spin down delay for this plugin).

For some reason the long smart test does not constitute activity and prevent the spin down. I don't think this is expected behaviour.

unRAID version 6.10.3 Pro

Plugin version 2022.06.19 (with UAD Plus 2022.05.17 and UAD Preclear 2022.06.10 also installed)

Post your diagnostocs zip file.

52 minutes ago, danioj said:

I've since reset and the log isn't available. It's repeatable. Go and try and do a long SMART test on a disk that is connected via UAD.

Ok, well I asked for your diagnostics because I wanted to see what version of Unraid and UD you were running, not because I don't believe you.  If you are running pre 6.9, UD handles the spin down and doesn't respect SMART test activity.  On 6.9 and 6.10 it shouldn't be a problem because Unraid is managing spin down on UD disks.

10 hours ago, dlandon said:

Ok, well I asked for your diagnostics because I wanted to see what version of Unraid and UD you were running, not because I don't believe you.  If you are running pre 6.9, UD handles the spin down and doesn't respect SMART test activity.  On 6.9 and 6.10 it shouldn't be a problem because Unraid is managing spin down on UD disks.

Well, I’ll post the diags when I get home in the morning. But in the meantime, I can assure you my software version is:

unRAID version 6.10.3 Pro

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

With 6.10 Unraid makes you disable spindown before being able to run a SMART test to avoid this exact issue. 

So does this mean that - irrespective of whether it’s a UAD disk or an Array disk - I have to disable spin down globally on an disk to do a SMART test?

Seems weird almost a bug I’d say that the spin down function doesn’t recognise a SMART test as disk activity to prevent spin down. 

3 minutes ago, danioj said:

I have to disable spin down globally on an disk to do a SMART test?

Correct.

3 minutes ago, danioj said:

Seems weird almost a bug I’d say that the spin down function doesn’t recognise a SMART test as disk activity to prevent spin down. 

Before this was done by the GUI, but IIRC it was kind of a hack, and it didn't always work correctly, so it has to be done manually for now.

I have a problem with the UD plugin, not beeing able to mount any of my Unassigned shared Disks from /mnt/disks aka /mnt/remotes under windows and MacOS.
Under Unraid, via browser I can open them up.
I am not sure how to get access to /mnt/shares as I think I switched everything needed on under settings. Via Krusader, I see everything (screenshots att.) Any help? 437822545_Bildschirmfoto2022-07-03um19_03_22.thumb.jpg.e1a3c87bd332b4f2f9c803b0c0615793.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-03 um 19.02.05.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-03 um 19.02.13.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-03 um 19.02.20.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-03 um 19.03.32.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-03 um 19.06.46.jpg